Hello everyone.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by jazz, Feb 4, 2010.

1. jazz

jazz Read Only Funster

Just joined Motorhome fun, we are travelling down to Portugal next month for the 1st time and will be hoping to meet up with other motorhomers, will be taking my laptop can anyone recommend best ISP for mobile internet connection I had dongle with 3, but a bit hit & miss connection in UK :Doh:

Happy Motorhoming

:Smile: Jazz

PS
    Apparently we 1st joined in May 2008 but work got in the way of that,
    both retired now so we try again..................

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  2. madbluemad

madbluemad

Welcome back to the fun Jazz. It may be wise of you to start a new thread on what dongle you use.
    It may get lost in this post.

Jim
    :Smile:

3. alivan

alivan Read Only Funster

On the move Internet

Hello, Have a look in Posts. I asked the same question 2 days ago and got some worrying replies. Someone ran up a £500 bill in Europe. Check it out.
    Ivan:Doh:

4. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Hello Jazz, welcome to mhf :BigGrin:

5. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Hi Jazz and :welcome:to MotorHomeFun.:thumb:

flyingwelcome

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I unlocked mine this week to swap to Vodafone. 3's coverage was, how shall I put this, female. Whenever I wanted it there was no signal, when I did not want it, rock solid signal.

But abroad - arm and leg rip off. Use WiFi ( free or less rip off ). Or if there a long time try and buy a local SIM, and still get ripped off.

Vodafone once advertised UK tariffs on Vodafone Italy, now that seems to have vanished.

It's all take take take from the mugs.

PS: If you are going to hang around pop a few details of yourself in your profile, it's nice to know a van and an area then we are more in tune with any questions you ask.

7. barnybg

barnybg Read Only Funster

Wifi

Forgive my ignorance,but i am useless with internet,so on the move you can use WIFI if near a Mcburgers or similar ??? Dont you have to have an network or i.p provider or someone you pay money too ??If this is so,if you are travelling many countries,how does this work if you have taken out a 'provider' in UK or Germany etc..... ?
    Please say i dont need to pay anyone,as in Bulgaria i had a Vodaphone dongle,but only good for BG ? and at £30 a month a tad expensive with 5 gb download,so would i need another in Turkey/Italy/Spain etc ???see no idea,please put me straight in normal language and slow ...........

8. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Hi Jazz and welcome to the site.:Smile:

Re mobile internet, I have 3 mobile in UK 5 gig/month for £11.25, never use that amount, nor do I use it in Europe, way to expensive.:cry:

As others have said, Mcdonalds offer "free" wifi, assuming your laptop is wifi enabled, you can park up at Mcds. carpark (50 metres of front door one friend told me) and log on to an unsecured network.:RollEyes:

Currently, we are in Spain, and I intended to unlock my spare dongle, but was advised by a fellow camper from UK, that the simm would cost €65/months service, and capped at 3 gig.:Eek!:

The site wifi here costs €29.90 for 30 days service. This is provided by www.delfynet.es, other shorter contract options are available, but soon become very expensive. Looking on delfynet's site, they provide to about every campsite in Spain, so if we move on to another site before this expires, we can still use it, had I been aware of this, I would have contacted them before leaving UK, to see if a better deal could be obtained from them direct rather than through the site.:Cool:

It may be worth searching for wifi providers in Portugal, or find which supplier provides one campsite, then look at that wifi providers website, for coverage and location of hot spots, and then if they are were you are intending to go, contact them, and see whats available. At the current exchange rate €1/day (about 87p) or less is not a bad rate, for the conveinance it provides.:RollEyes:

I hope this helps.

Good luck and have a good trip:thumb:

Nomadic

9. jacken

jacken Read Only Funster

In Portugal, with your unocked dongle, go to any vodafone shop, buy a payg sim card, put it in the dongle, alter the settings in your dongle software and away you go. I used this all the time whilst there and it was quite cheap.

ken

10. lazydays

lazydays Read Only Funster

Hello & Welcome hope you have a great time in Portugal

Happy Travels:thumb:

11. Doodlebug

Doodlebug Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome

:BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:

12. bald eagle

bald eagle Read Only Funster

How jazz and :welcome:

regards
    bald eagle:thumb:

13. jazz

jazz Read Only Funster

Thank you

Thank you to everyone for their welcoming posts, the advice was very much appreciated, still feeling my way around the site :thumb:

:Laughing:

14. Kon tiki

Kon tiki Read Only Funster

We found quite a lot of free wifi in Portugal.