Free Member
May 22, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
None yet!
I have never stayed in a motorhome but think I would like a campervan (if that is the correct term for the small ones). I don't even know anyone who has one but I have discovered what a lot there is to learn. Will probably try to hire one a couple of times first, but at the moment the wish list includes a Volkswagen T5 and the Hyundai. If they are not too cold in winter, the rising roof ones seem to give better headroom than the hi-liners. I would sell the Honda CRV and keep the 'Sunday car', relying on the van for daily use. Stunned at how expensive they are, even secondhand, but at least that means depreciation is reasonable.
Looking forward to learning from what seems a super forum.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Moggie
:welcomefunster:
Welcome to MH Fun

Spend plenty of time looking, to be sure you get what you need, or else it can be an expensive mistake.

Hiring can be a good idea it gives you an insight into the pros and cons and to see if you really like it, or just the idea.

Personally prefer a high top solid roof easier to keep warm, but not ever ones choice.

Dafodil

Free Member
May 6, 2011
surrey
Funster No
MH
Golden oldie
Exp
A whole year!
Hello.......

I'm new to it too...... I have a lovely little ole Bambi....May not be big & fast......But she's brought & paid for & gives me alot of fun & pleasure ::bigsmile:riving2:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
:Smile:HI , I def recommend you hire before buying as it can be expensive mistake:Doh:, some company's let you hire (at a cost) then if you decide to buy they will deduct hire cost. Think carefully about what size and layout . Enjoy this site. Terry:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hello

hi there moggie and a big welcome to MHF.great forum especially if you are a newbie.lots of advice, data and knowledge on here.take your time in making your decision but if you do go ahead im sure you will enjoy what is not only a hobby but for many a lifestyle:thumb:regards brian jo and josh:winky:

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Hi and welcome. Try to do a lot of research on line and visiting some of the Motorhome Shows so you can have a good look round before you buy. Hiring is an excellent way to go when you have narrowed the choice. If you want to use it all year round, a pop up top will be too cold ,in my opinion. We bought one 3 years ago but I spent 6 months on line first looking at type, layout, prices length,width, before looking at photos on line. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Lucille

OP
OP
M

Moggie

Free Member
May 22, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
None yet!
Many thanks

Thank you for the welcome, chaps and chappesses, very much appreciated.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
As you are in West Sussex, check out Johns Cross Motorhomes (weblink to the right ------------->>>>>). Peter is a member here, and is very knowledgable and helpful.

Bilbo do VW's, and also are not too far away...... http://www.bilbos.com/home/

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Pop up roof

Hi and welcome.

I have had a Autosleepers Mezan LowLine (pop up roof) since August 08, I have now done about 25,000 miles and 210 nights in it taking it into Europe several times and down as far as Malta three times. As you have indicated this type of vehicle is great for general use such as shopping as it fits into car parks easily and goes under the 2 metre height barriers. It also fits into a garage which is important to me. As for use as a motorhome it works well for me one up, you may find space too restricted for more than one.

As for insulation it is obviously less than a fully insulated coach build but I have come back through the Alps in November without a problem, I have also been on a Caravan Club site in December when most of the site taps were frozen and we were looking around to find a free one to get water. I find a fan heater running on 1Kw is fine to keep the van warm but this does mean being on a site with an electric hook up. Whilst the heater fitted into my van, which runs on diesel, does a great job in warming the van I would not like to run it for more than one evening when camping without electricity as the fan will take quite a bit out of the leisure battery.

Basically I think a pop up roof is fine for most of the year but would not go on a ski trip with it.

Mike

OP
OP
M

Moggie

Free Member
May 22, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
None yet!
Thanks Mike - interesting. The 'supermarket run' is pretty key - I can't see me keeping a 'proper' motorhome on the drive just for trips away. I wondered whether it was feasible to drop the roof at night once one was ready for bed if it got very cold? Would also be interesting to see how much it would cost to have a rising roof fitted to an existing vehicle. There appear to be one or two good value campervans without raising roofs available.

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
I have W.W Topaz.and use it for Camping 8 months of the year, it has everything i want, toilet shower, which i must confess i have never use , as use on sight facilities, it does a reasonable 35 p.g. and it is my only vericle. the only downside is car parking as will not go under barriers, but ok for using Superstrores, and it fits into a parking space. Hope you find what you are looking for, see avatar pic for idea,..........Regards Del and Welcome to the forum Maggie:welcomefunster::flyingwelcome:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back