Hello and Satelitte dish woes

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Roamin1329, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Roamin1329

Roamin1329 Read Only Funster

Hi Folks,

I am a complete newbie to motorhomes and all things related, but my wife and i have decided to take the plunge this year; and what a plunge we have taken.
    Disheartened with life in general in good old blighty, ( weather, work, economy etc) we have sold our main home and kept a small flat as our English base, brought our first motorhome and Europe beckons for some winter sun and fun. Although, some work on the route would be good also, as I am a all round builder / carpenter and we are both semi - pro musicians. All ready have one contact in the south of France who is interested in me helping him to refurb a large house that he has purchased down there, so that could be good.
    Meanwhile, I have spent this morning attempting to get some satellite channels tuned to our Avtex TV which has a decoder built in. I have a manual stand alone maxview dish with sat finder and compass etc. However, everytime that I get the set to search it comes up with no channels found. Upon speaking to Maxview they have suggested that I tune the TV to an already established dish as the problem is that my set has no channels logged???
    Any thoughts or help would be good.
    Best regards

• Like Like x 1
  2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Are sure your TV has a satellite decoder and not just freeview digital ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hi and welcome to Fun, enjoy your new way of life lots of fun and adventures ahead of you I am sure. Check out Camping Cheque and ASCI cards for when you are traveling abroad out of season, and don't forget your book of French Aires.

Sorry I can't help with the Tech. problem but I am sure some one will be along who can.

Ask any questions you need, thats what the site is all about.:welcomefunster:

• Like Like x 1
  4. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

Welcome aboard Roamin...Being a Motorhomer is a constant learning curve and a big un at that..for all things Satellite try this site http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk lots of info on there..although it says for caravans it means Motorhomes too!!

:flyingwelcome:..once again welcome..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Hi and welcome to the forum Roamin' ,

What model Avtex is it ?

I suspect it will be either a L185 DRS or W164 DRS as they are the only ones with a sat system built in

As standard they are set up for either intelsat or ( I think ) eutelsat..

You will have to read the destructions to suss out how to set up the unit to one of the Sky sats ( or maybe hotbird..if you like iffy stuff !! (

You may find this page of help:
    http://www.uksatellitehelp.co.uk/2007/08/12/satellite-alignment-calculator-v2/

Brian, as a sat finder was mentioned there must be a sat connection so as to get the 14 or so volts into the LNB ( and of course the sat finder )

• Like Like x 1
  6. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Make sure you dish is level - slightly angled to one side will make a difference when trying to find channels.

It is very precise, so takes some twiddling - don't forget to keep turning down the sat finder, and repositioning until it squeals again and so on.