Hello and a little help please (1 Viewer)

Oct 18, 2016
bucks
Funster No
MH
van conversion a class
Exp
Hi, I am Tim and my wife Diana are collecting our first MH at the end of March. So we both would like to say hello on the forum.
Just been to the NEC and picked up plates and other small stuff including a Cadac BBQ. The motor home will have an awning and we like the idea of adding sides to make an additional room. Diana has heard from somewhere today that you are not allowed to use a BBQ in an awning. Is that the case?
The MH will be a new one from a dealer so we ought to have a useful handover, but I expect I will want to tap your brains over the next few months too. Thanks Tim

JonVonandDog

Free Member
Apr 15, 2014
Wellingborough
Funster No
MH
motorhome
Exp
I`m a newbie
Agree totally with mitzimad, our previous m/home had sides to go with the awning creating a safari room. Used it once just to try it out, it took forever to put up, was very heavy, then you have the problem of where to put it when you take it down wet (it always rains just before leaving:)). Never used it again!!

Upvote 0

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
As relative 'newbies' ourselves, apart from all the excellent advice given by other funsters, we would add one more. At some point down the line, you will find yourself on a site where something doesn't work on the motorhome or where there is something you don't understand. Just ask the nearest motorhomer if they can help, and in our experience, they always do. Even if they don't know the answer themselves, they are always such nice people that they will help you find someone who can help. A couple of times we have found ourselves needing help or advice, and the help has always been forthcoming, and has always been willingly given.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pug907

Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
none yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
:welco:
Unfortunately, these pieces of advice come from bitter experience. Adjust your mirrors, so you can see as much of the side of the MH as possible, back to front and top to bottom and be mindful of the "swing" of the body which overhangs the rear wheels!!!
Following an accident repair, which took 5 months (not my fault thankfully), I was driving the MH out of the repairers yard, which was extremely tight even being guided by 2 of the staff. I didn't adjust the mirrors to my driving position or liking, which would have saved the resulting damage. I'd almost got through the gates, but had to turn slightly to avoid a parked truck, ripping a 6" gash in the side of the MH on the gate hinge plate (8 feet in the air) that was sticking out past the gate by 4 or 5 inches. I drive a long wheel based van for my business, so it wasn't even a newbie error, just not being able to see as high as up the side as I normally can :banghead:. Good luck and enjoy (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back