Hello All...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Betty boo, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Betty boo

Betty boo Read Only Funster

Hi everyone I am new to this site so I thought I would say "Hello" and intoduce myself and family. I am married and have one son and also a Westie and a springer spaniel, We are thinking of buying a larger MH , we already have a 1976 VW Type 2 Bay (Westfalia) and we go camping most weekends (weather permitting )and have been to a few VW festivals. But as the nipper has now turned 14 its a bit cramped and he wants his independence (or a bigger bed), so we have been on the look out for a MH as two our friends who have two VW's (A Foster and Day Gypsy, and a Bay) have also bought theirselves a Swift Bessacar.. And after seeing that my wife also wants a MH that has plenty of room and is comfy!! But our budget doesn't stretch to the prices that warrant a modern MH, so we have been looking for an older model. And we have found a 1992 Talbot Kon-Tiki. It is within our price range and the wife loves the interior which is great and no damp patches or signs of damp. But the only concern of mine is, that it is a Talbot, and has done 88,000 miles. So I would be extremly grateful for any comments and advice on purchasing this motor. And what would you think was a fair price for it. Thank you in advance and No! I wont be selling my VW:)

2. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome to the forum Betty Boo :BigGrin:

flyingwelcome

3. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Hi Betty Boo & :welcome: to the Fun. :thumb:

4. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome :thumb:

5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome to the site, it is worth what anyone will pay but as a guide heres one that sold on ebay, a year younger and less milage for £7k
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KON-TIKI-MOTO...mpers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item27b53f29c4
    I have seen them go from £3.5k, they are prone to leaking on the roof seam. do get on the roof and check it just behind the roof rack where the roof is joined, make sure it has not been bodged.

6. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

:welcomefunster:
    Sorry can't help with your questions.

7. Betty boo

Betty boo Read Only Funster

Thanks for the reply "wildman" good advice , I have been on the roof and there was no visible evidence of any "bodging".The guy who is selling it has got it in a garage at the moment , having a new exhaust fitted. I seen the mechanic and he said that the clutch was quite "heavy" to push down, he is going to lubricate the cable and also he said it was quite hard to start but when it starts it runs well. I suggested this may be glow-plug problem. I see you reside in Ilfracombe I used to work in Woolacombe in the 70's and used to frequent the "No 3's" pub in Ilfracombe, where they would only serve non locals a half pint of cider and no more!! Good stuff the old N.D.C. (Natch) do you remember the pub? We were down there last year camping in Woolacombe but the weather was terrible..

8. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi Betty Boo
    Welcome to the site. Pete:thumb::thumb::thumb:

9. doglover

doglover Read Only Funster

talbot

hi i have a 1990 talbot autorail chinook no problems whatsoever we love it a good sturdy van

10. Simba

Simba Read Only Funster

:welcomefunster: Hi, we have a 1992 Talbot 2.5TD Swift KonTiki, had it about 18 months now only problem we have had was a leak from the onboard fresh water pump while we was at a meet in Shepton Mallet and being new to M/Homes one of the Funsters (Dellwood33) sorted it for me. :thumb::thumb::thumb: Great group of people on here always willing to help.

11. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Hi and :welcome:

12. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Betty Boo :welcome: to the Fun. :thumb:

13. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Apart from the gear linkages my sisters Talbot went on for years and years..
    She and her hubby travelled the uk doing windsurfing events and as I say, apart from the gear selection issue ( which is easily sorted out with a kit that is avaiable for under £45.00 now ) nary a problem ...

14. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

welcome from one of the Kentish mob

Welcome to the forum... hope you will enjoy your time with us.. mad bunch, but lots of info and helpful group.. well worth the £12 subscription.

Join in, get involved and hope to see you at one of the venues we turn up.. (mainly next year now).

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Ber:thumb:nard