Hello all you very clever people!

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Jazzbow, May 16, 2012.

1. Jazzbow

Jazzbow Read Only Funster

Hiya all, what a fab site, so good in fact that I've just parted with £10 and that is something for an Aberdonian :Rofl1:

After much consideration my dearest husband and I have decided that a Mh would be fab,( we've hired two) so we're just starting out looking. A couple of questions to start you off;

We're looking at a used entry level MH e.g Elddis autoquest. My husband thinks that a 2006 model is 'too old' but I think that if it's got a low mileage and has been looked after it should be ok. Now, there is no need for you to be worrying about getting caught in the middle of a domestic because we don't know where you live :BigGrin:
    So, ques 1 is 2006 too old? Should we save for a bit longer for a newer model? (please say no)

We live in the West of Scotland, looking at autotrader the best deals seem to be in the south of Englandshire.
    ques2- is there a company that will inspect it for us so we'll not have to travel hundreds of miles to find out that it is a bucket?

ques 2b- Why are there so many names? e.g autoquest, sunseeker blah blah, blah. and so many numbers 145, 150?
    It's really hard to find the layout that you want unless you know all the names and numbers?

hmmm that's more than a couple of questions already:Eeek:
    Cheers
    Dawn

• Like Like x 1
  2. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

See if you can get to one of the outdoor motorhome shows (the outdoor ones tend to have a good selection of second hand models) and have a look in all of them. At the end of the day there are really no more than a hand full of different layouts but lots of different qualities and extra features. Only by sitting in a few do you start to get a feel.

Once you know if you want a ... rear lounge...dinette...fixed bed...etc. then you can work forward from there.

2006 is not considered old but go with what you feel comfortable with. Otherwise it's always going to be on your mind.

3. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi & welcome Dawn & hubby :BigGrin:Deffo 2006 is not too old and you should get a nice van on that yr.:thumb:
    Vans all over the place :thumb: not just south of Englandshire :Wink:
    Numbers are different layouts -since you have hired a couple (hopefully different layouts) you should have a good idea of what you want :thumb:
    LAYOUT is the most important thing :thumb: LAYOUT LAYOUT LAYOUT :Smile:
    terry

4. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

you payed £10 to join because you think we is clever:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    welcome to the madhouse:thumb:

• Like Like x 6
  5. jaygee

jaygee Funster

Can only give my opinion on Q1 - 2006 is not 'old' in motorhome terms. We bought our first van 3 years ago and it was a 1992 Hymer. We didn't want to jump in and spend too much money as we were not sure exactly what we wanted. We bought our 2nd van in November, a 2007 Dethfleffs, and although we love it we are still not sure it's exactly what we want. They do say that it takes 3 vans before you find the right one (or in Sue's case 4!) so I would not splash out on something expensive as your first van. get what you can afford and then use it for a couple of seasons, if you really like it then you can look for the same but newer or if not then look for a different model.
    Most motorhomes hold their price quite well so not too much to lose unless you buy one that needed a lot of work doing to it.
    Jacky

6. Jazzbow

END DINETTE, END DINETTE, END DINETTE :BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi again this is what I wrote a bit back when someone asked the same type Q
    Hi go for comfort in your van. It is not a lot of use having a drop down bed if you cannot climb into it or perhaps get out in the middle of the night if you had too much wine LAYOUT / comfort is the single most thing you should be looking at We have tied all sorts of layouts from 2 / 4 berth to 6 to 4 again then 6 again and now in a 2 witch suits us great. Get out and look / try out as many bed layouts and don't be scared to put up climb in etc, etc, before buying Use one of the shows or a dealer to try this and get a good idea what is going to suit you then look for what you want.
    Also try hiring one for a weekend or mid week this will give a good idea as to what you want
    terry

8. Terry

Terry Funster

:BigGrin::BigGrin: I hate dinettes -bed just behind front seats :thumb: opens up the whole van :Wink::thumb:
    I do hope this opens up another RV discussion on ED or not ED :BigGrin:
    terry

9. Popeye

Popeye Funster

:thumb::welcome: dotdot and clint eastwood (man with no name)

Motor-Home Travel, on Tarmac or Gravel

A Week or Two in the Sun

If you have any trouble or Technical Muddle

Find the answer in Motor-Home Fun

Welcome to the bestest Motor Home forum on the interwebbythingy

You've had some great advice already...........

* do you want to make up a bed each night

* do you want to climb up into an over-cab bed each night

* Do you want a spacious rear lounge to entertain

* Do you intend carrying loads of gear in the rear garage

* Will you be taking others away with you

* Will it be parked up at home /size / length........

The whole deal is a compromise. If you are going away for several weeks at a time, you'd probably feel more comfortable in a fixed bed.

When you climb all over the hundreds of vans out there imagine yourself cooking , washing up, sitting on the loo, standing in the shower. Most of all when you decide on the layout, drive it, make sure it's comfortable to drive.

Whatever you do have fun.......buying your first one really should be.....Griff

• Like Like x 4
  10. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

And there lays the problem, I could think of nothing worse than an END DINETTE......

Think long and very very hard.

• Like Like x 3
  11. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Provided it's low mileage ( under 20K ? ) and in good condition you could run it years and ( here's the crunch for a kilted person ) lose little money. But new and you lose a fortune before you've slept in it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Jazzbow

Why is bad for you? (keep it clean please :Blush:)

13. Popeye

Popeye Funster

The end dinette doesn't seem to work well when children are in and out of the van, hot food and all that health and safety stuff, if there are no kids I see nothing wrong with that layout,

................It's all a compromise dot..........Griff:thumb:

14. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

Welcome

As you can see we all have our own ideas.

I like the large U shaped lounge.

This layout is about as versatile as you can get. Lounge can be 2 single beds or one huge giant size bed.

During the day, huge lounge to lounge about in, especially if holidaying in the UK.

Single beds so easy to make as they form the sides of the U. Just put bedding on, job done.

Also look for storage space. Outside cupboards are an advantage as you can put chairs, silver screens, all kinds of must have rubbish that we all take away with us.

I somehow managed to get the layout right for us first time.:thumb:

Ours has a dinette opposite kitchen as well, which is handy when eating indoors or one of us wants to watch tv (me):BigGrin: whilst hubby masters sudoku.:Laughing:

Have Fun choosing and if you have money in bank look on eBay, some good bargains to be had.

I bought mine on eBay with no regrets.:Smile:

Good luck

Lesley

15. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Ok end Dinette or (lounge you will find the term used) will result in one thing. Making up beds or climbing high in to a bed.

There is little to gain, making up beds is no problem, we done it for many years in a caravan with small kids. Climbing up high in to beds to sleep in the overhead, no problem until you had a pint too many and want to come down stairs.

I truly believe and this is our 3rd van that I have the best layout known to mankind. However, I would like more storage, others will tell you that they have the best layout known to mankind but wish they didn't have to climb in to bed, but they have great storage. Others will tell you that making up beds is doddle others that size doesn't matter.

Your Scottish I presume, or certainly living there. I would therefore suggest that lounging space is the most important thing that you will need. There is nothing nice about sitting on the Mull in the pouring rain and cold outside and not being able to stretch your legs.

you will find your own way, sadly for many, its too late youve done the deal and its an expensive mistake. so as I said think and think hard, may be buy Jim's motorhome buying guide.

Here's a pic of my van (not the exact one) look where we can lounge and entertain (you need that if your a funster :Wink:) as well as go off to bed when ive had enough of the drunk people in my van :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Ps the front seats swivel...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-Bess..._Motorhomes&hash=item4aaf2cd1a7#ht_765wt_1043

16. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Nice van Haggers, open, loads of space, best of all worlds, but a compromise again.

Do you need more than two sets of seat belts for occupants?:thumb:

17. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

We have to agree with Lesleyjean......we've got the rear u-shaped lounge, with the mid-way dinette, but the overhead cab (that some don't like:Doh:) is ideal for storing all our bed linen and other junk etc.
    However, there are only the two of us normally in the 6-berth van.
    Our 6foot height daughter slept in it recently and was very comfortable as well:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  18. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

19. Jazzbow

thanks, really quick replies I am impressed :Cool:

We have a cocker spaniel (Dotty) she's FAT and a 16 yr old son . We don't think he's gonna accompany us although he has threatened to join us on the maiden voyage.
    So it's mostly gonna be Clint (Ian) and myself :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  20. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

Nice van Paul.:thumb:
    But

I do like your bessecar, very nice indeed, but:Smile:

I still prefer end lounge.

Also huge rear window...... For seeing who is following you.:BigGrin:

Great when driving as it is just like driving a car.

Lesley

• Like Like x 1