HEKI 2 rooflight (1 Viewer)

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Does anyone have this particular rooflight fitted to their MH ? It seems THE HEKI 2 model rooflights were ( still are ? ) fitted as standard by a lot of MH manufacturers .
Am looking for user opinions on the unit , good bad or otherwise , before possibly retrofitting one

Dometic ( makers of the rooflight ) are clear on their product blurb Link Removed that the units are " Designed and recommended for trailed vehicles in which people do not travel. Technically also suited to a vehicle in which people do travel . HEKI 2 suitable for max. 100 km/h (with Seitz spoiler up to 130 kmh)" (80MPH ) ..... That last bit presumably being the reason MH builders fit the units to new build MHs.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We had a Heki 2 on our Autoquest and found it OK. I think it's important to make sure it's shut properly before driving off though.

The Burstner has a Heki 3 which has a winding mechanism to raise/lower it and seems more solid than the lifting bar arrangement of the Heki 2.

That's just an impression though, no engineering knowledge.

OP
OP
T
Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
Exp
8 years
Thanks Graham . I have also looked at the Heki midi unit with wind up crank handle . That model is a fair bit smaller than the 2 unit though and we are looking for maximum light input . I"m not usually a buy cheapest option just because its cheapest , but the price differential between the heki 2 and heki 3 is very substantial , £ hundreds , so am looking around at benefits / downsides etc before shelling out on whatever option .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
According to the catalogue pdf on the Dometic website, Heki 1,3 and 4 are designed for motorhomes; Heki 2 is for caravans.

Link Removed

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I have five various,,, Flip the lever and lift (Round One) in the shower cubicle... and one turn a little handle in the WC area.... and two lever ones in the bedrooms..

Also got a crank the handle type in the main lounge... Not very impressed with this one,,, it seems a struggle to wind up, and feels as if the handle will break... so we lift the roof light as we are winding to take the weight off.... ok for closing... :Smile:

OP
OP
T
Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
Exp
8 years
According to the catalogue pdf on the Dometic website, Heki 1,3 and 4 are designed for motorhomes; Heki 2 is for caravans.

Link Removed

Yes , I agree with you on that . The confusion for me is that there seems to be differing info coming from Dometic , dependant on where it is grabbed from . For example the link and following info I showed above is the Dometic pdf installation instructions for heki 2 . Clearly stating ok for vehicles people travel in , or , not travel in . To further confuse things , major MH builders were / are fitting the model to their MHs . So they are veering on the side of them being suitable for MH fitting . Possibly based on a £ per unit cost , rather than a truly fit for purpose decision ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T
Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
Exp
8 years

Also got a crank the handle type in the main lounge... Not very impressed with this one,,, it seems a struggle to wind up, and feels as if the handle will break... so we lift the roof light as we are winding to take the weight off.... ok for closing... :Smile:

Thanks Mo. On reading about these things , there are some with the opinion that they can feel a bit flimsy , requiring care when adjusting.The heki 3 models are maybe a bit sturdier ,dunno really . Will visit a couple of MH dealers for a physical check of the different units before deciding on which to go for.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007

I'm not sure what make my roof lights are as they are branded Hymer, but they are raised and lowered with a crank. I recently got up on top and cleaned the crank system with an old toothbrush then coated it in silicon grease - plumbers waste pipe seal grease. Now the action is smooth and easy to operate. (The van is 10 years old so they were probably due for a clean.) I also stripped, cleaned and lubricated the hab door and garage hinges with the same grease
Most important - don't use WD40 as it will make things worse in the long run.

Sorry to hijack the original thread.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back