HEKI 2 rooflight

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by tomm2, Sep 10, 2013.

1. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

Does anyone have this particular rooflight fitted to their MH ? It seems THE HEKI 2 model rooflights were ( still are ? ) fitted as standard by a lot of MH manufacturers .
    Am looking for user opinions on the unit , good bad or otherwise , before possibly retrofitting one

Dometic ( makers of the rooflight ) are clear on their product blurb http://www.leisurespares.co.uk/files/installation_instructions_heki_2.pdf that the units are " Designed and recommended for trailed vehicles in which people do not travel. Technically also suited to a vehicle in which people do travel . HEKI 2 suitable for max. 100 km/h (with Seitz spoiler up to 130 kmh)" (80MPH ) ..... That last bit presumably being the reason MH builders fit the units to new build MHs.

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We had a Heki 2 on our Autoquest and found it OK. I think it's important to make sure it's shut properly before driving off though.

The Burstner has a Heki 3 which has a winding mechanism to raise/lower it and seems more solid than the lifting bar arrangement of the Heki 2.

That's just an impression though, no engineering knowledge.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

Thanks Graham . I have also looked at the Heki midi unit with wind up crank handle . That model is a fair bit smaller than the 2 unit though and we are looking for maximum light input . I"m not usually a buy cheapest option just because its cheapest , but the price differential between the heki 2 and heki 3 is very substantial , £ hundreds , so am looking around at benefits / downsides etc before shelling out on whatever option .

4. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

• Like Like x 1
  5. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

I have five various,,, Flip the lever and lift (Round One) in the shower cubicle... and one turn a little handle in the WC area.... and two lever ones in the bedrooms..

Also got a crank the handle type in the main lounge... Not very impressed with this one,,, it seems a struggle to wind up, and feels as if the handle will break... so we lift the roof light as we are winding to take the weight off.... ok for closing... :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

Yes , I agree with you on that . The confusion for me is that there seems to be differing info coming from Dometic , dependant on where it is grabbed from . For example the link and following info I showed above is the Dometic pdf installation instructions for heki 2 . Clearly stating ok for vehicles people travel in , or , not travel in . To further confuse things , major MH builders were / are fitting the model to their MHs . So they are veering on the side of them being suitable for MH fitting . Possibly based on a £ per unit cost , rather than a truly fit for purpose decision ?

7. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

Thanks Mo. On reading about these things , there are some with the opinion that they can feel a bit flimsy , requiring care when adjusting.The heki 3 models are maybe a bit sturdier ,dunno really . Will visit a couple of MH dealers for a physical check of the different units before deciding on which to go for.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I'm not sure what make my roof lights are as they are branded Hymer, but they are raised and lowered with a crank. I recently got up on top and cleaned the crank system with an old toothbrush then coated it in silicon grease - plumbers waste pipe seal grease. Now the action is smooth and easy to operate. (The van is 10 years old so they were probably due for a clean.) I also stripped, cleaned and lubricated the hab door and garage hinges with the same grease
    Most important - don't use WD40 as it will make things worse in the long run.

Sorry to hijack the original thread.

• Like Like x 1