Height for trailer board? (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I need to know the minimum height for putting a trailer board on my motorcycle rack on rear of camper.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Just be sure you have the right reflectors on it - seen too many boards on motorhomes with trailer reflectors.
Not a hanging offence but it wouldn't surprise me if an insurance company latched onto it in the event of a prang.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Just be sure you have the right reflectors on it - seen too many boards on motorhomes with trailer reflectors.
Not a hanging offence but it wouldn't surprise me if an insurance company latched onto it in the event of a prang.

Are there any "wrong" reflectors?. In theory, If its attached to the MH (Rack) then the reflectors incorporated in the lights would be sufficient, as is the case with Vehicle rear lighting?.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Are there any "wrong" reflectors?. In theory, If its attached to the MH (Rack) then the reflectors incorporated in the lights would be sufficient, as is the case with Vehicle rear lighting?.

Trailer boards as fitted to towed things like trailers and caravans must be fitted with 2 X triangle reflectors so when you come up behind such a vehicle you know there's more of it in front.
These triangle reflectors must not be fitted to boards on the back end of vehicles that are not towing.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
All trailers should have, by law, 2x red reflective triangles positioned at the rear of the trailer at a minimum of 250mm from the floor, but not exceeding 400mm

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
All trailers should have, by law, 2x red reflective triangles positioned at the rear of the trailer at a minimum of 250mm from the floor, but not exceeding 400mm

The OP isn't towing a trailer so should not be showing triangle reflectors.
I think he simply means a "lighting board".

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Trailer boards as fitted to towed things like trailers and caravans must be fitted with 2 X triangle reflectors so when you come up behind such a vehicle you know there's more of it in front.
These triangle reflectors must not be fitted to boards on the back end of vehicles that are not towing.

So Therefore my Quote "In theory, If its attached to the MH (Rack) then the reflectors incorporated in the lights would be sufficient, as is the case with Vehicle rear lighting?." Would Stand?. (Basically, NO separate reflectors?). Or is there a Different interpretation?.

EG. for example when "A" framing (Warning!!:D2) the "toad" I have Magnetic Triangular Reflectors which are removed when not being towed?.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I dont know what he means so just answered his question reference "Trailer Board"

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
So Therefore my Quote "In theory, If its attached to the MH (Rack) then the reflectors incorporated in the lights would be sufficient, as is the case with Vehicle rear lighting?." Would Stand?. (Basically, NO separate reflectors?). Or is there a Different interpretation?.

EG. for example when "A" framing (Warning!!:D2) the "toad" I have Magnetic Triangular Reflectors which are removed when not being towed?.

Yes

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I have a 6 mtr van with a rack on towbar with small m/bike on. The lighting board has 2 triangles on and usual indicators etc.Thanks for answers-should be OK ?

No!

Sorry but we seem to be making hard work of this.

The triangles are only required on trailers, not on things hanging off the back of a vehicle like you are describing yours.

They are simply used to indicate to following drivers that they are seeing the rear of something being towed.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
What if the vehicle rear lights are obscured
what does he do for reflectors then?
Your point is really mute, as im not aware of any lighting boards sold without the triangles,
The lamps used on these board ie Trailer Lights, dont have any inbuilt reflectors

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Your point is really mute, as im not aware of any lighting boards sold without the triangles,
The lamps used on these board ie Trailer Lights, dont have any inbuilt reflectors

I can't comment on what types of lighting boards you are aware of but I can only state what I belive to be the correct fittings for each situation.

There are 2 different lighting boards.
One for motorhomes/cars etc not towing. These have round or rectangular reflectors - or sometimes no reflectors.
The other, for caravans/trailers have the triangular reflectors.

Triangular reflectors are ONLY for things being towed.

Both of these boards have been available in my local caravan/camping store for years and are clearly signed for the two different uses.

The OP was clearly asking for advice on a lighting board (he referred to it as a trailer board) to go on a motorcycle rack on the back of his motorhome - not on a trailer.

His most recent posting, in which he says he has a towbar mounted rack and a lighting board with triangle reflectors, seems to justify my first posting which highlighted the need to make sure he was fitting the right board - he isn't.

Sometimes one tries to offer help but it just picks up flack. Getting a little like Facts.

My last post on this thread.

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You cannot have the lights covered,It either has to be completely above the lights, you can then use a V20 board ,although the UK doesn't insist on them or you have to have a lighting board complete with number plate etc.

OP
OP
Chris51
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I can't comment on what types of lighting boards you are aware of but I can only state what I belive to be the correct fittings for each situation.

There are 2 different lighting boards.
One for motorhomes/cars etc not towing. These have round or rectangular reflectors - or sometimes no reflectors.
The other, for caravans/trailers have the triangular reflectors.

Triangular reflectors are ONLY for things being towed.

Both of these boards have been available in my local caravan/camping store for years and are clearly signed for the two different uses.

The OP was clearly asking for advice on a lighting board (he referred to it as a trailer board) to go on a motorcycle rack on the back of his motorhome - not on a trailer.

His most recent posting, in which he says he has a towbar mounted rack and a lighting board with triangle reflectors, seems to justify my first posting which highlighted the need to make sure he was fitting the right board - he isn't.

Sometimes one tries to offer help but it just picks up flack. Getting a little like Facts.

My last post on this thread.
I will just take off the triangle reflectors then.Thanks again all for advice.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Actually, Quite interesting thread, I was not aware that the use of a "Trailer" Board, would Under the condition specified, be unacceptable. So there you have it, To-days lesson!. Cheers GW!:D(y). In fact I am (have been) guilty of same "offence" when using the Old Trailer lighting board on a Rear Mounted bike rack for the Boys bikes which when mounted actually obscured the Rear lights on the old Shogun! many Moons back!.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back