height barrier (1 Viewer)

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
However, given that LCC now has to contend with the "Free" Brigade I have doubts as to whether it could be reinstated.
I can't argue with that Graham.
It's a sad reflection upon the state of this country and the attitude of some of its residents and like you, I don't expect to see anything change here.
When I began my thread a few weeks ago it was triggered more by a sense of disappointment and loss than anything else I think.
I spent much of my childhood, youth and early married life frequenting the Lincolnshire Coast at every available opportunity and it holds some very happy memories for me.
I guess it's simply a case of removing my Rose Tinted Specs and moving on.
"Life is Change" as they say, like it or not...:Sad:

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi
Read a post on another forum some while ago from a m/home person,it roughly said."we would be willing to pay £5 to park from 18.00hrs at night,until 10.00hrs next day"?...... wouldn't we all.:Doh:
Sea side car parks are just that,for all to enjoy,what has happened in this case is a small minority spoiling it for the many by selfish actions.
Firstly lets put this right,m/homers are NOT the only people in the area spending money,the people in hotels,bed and breakfast,c/vanners and day time through traffic ALSO spend money ,the first three also enable LOCAL people to be seasonally employed,businesses paying rates etc.
The simple answer,if you are going to employ people to check the car parks is this,have a limited number of larger spaces in each car park for m/homes with a 24hr time limit NO return for 10 years, use of tables,chairs sun/brellers banned, any vehicle that took up more than the normal car spaced area or overstayed,clamped and fined £40.000.
If this sounds harsh,you could always go to your friendly local CL/CS/Site and really help the local economy. You could also get a discount for daily parking if you could produce an invoice from a local site,saying you were staying there,result.
LOCAL weight limits are an example.WE DON'T WANT YOUR VEHICLE DOWN HERE. The height barriers are just that,locals and paying visitors do not want their "Day by the sea" spoilt by a section of the community turning it into a "Tourist" park. That leads nicely into this,if anyone should feel aggrieved,it is the people who own c/vans,they are called,"Touring Caravans" They have to stay on sites,if the few keep pushing,ALL will have to be on sites,it's what happened to the c/vanners,to many,staying anywhere.(OK it was a long time ago) M/home ownership is growing,FREE space is contracting.
There will be a few items i have missed/got wrong,don't care,i feel better for having written that and am off out to enjoy myself. "Come on Flea bag,Walkies"
Tea Bag

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi
Read a post on another forum some while ago from a m/home person,it roughly said."we would be willing to pay £5 to park from 18.00hrs at night,until 10.00hrs next day"?...... wouldn't we all.:Doh:
Sea side car parks are just that,for all to enjoy,what has happened in this case is a small minority spoiling it for the many by selfish actions.
Firstly lets put this right,m/homers are NOT the only people in the area spending money,the people in hotels,bed and breakfast,c/vanners and day time through traffic ALSO spend money ,the first three also enable LOCAL people to be seasonally employed,businesses paying rates etc.
The simple answer,if you are going to employ people to check the car parks is this,have a limited number of larger spaces in each car park for m/homes with a 24hr time limit NO return for 10 years, use of tables,chairs sun/brellers banned, any vehicle that took up more than the normal car spaced area or overstayed,clamped and fined £40.000.
If this sounds harsh,you could always go to your friendly local CL/CS/Site and really help the local economy. You could also get a discount for daily parking if you could produce an invoice from a local site,saying you were staying there,result.
LOCAL weight limits are an example.WE DON'T WANT YOUR VEHICLE DOWN HERE. The height barriers are just that,locals and paying visitors do not want their "Day by the sea" spoilt by a section of the community turning it into a "Tourist" park. That leads nicely into this,if anyone should feel aggrieved,it is the people who own c/vans,they are called,"Touring Caravans" They have to stay on sites,if the few keep pushing,ALL will have to be on sites,it's what happened to the c/vanners,to many,staying anywhere.(OK it was a long time ago) M/home ownership is growing,FREE space is contracting.
There will be a few items i have missed/got wrong,don't care,i feel better for having written that and am off out to enjoy myself. "Come on Flea bag,Walkies"
Tea Bag
If only you'd posted that eight pages earlier we could have saved ourselves a huge debate and gone for a nice cup of tea, safe in the knowledge that everything was in safe hands.....:thumb:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Does this kind of "freeloading and disrespectful" (for want of a more suitable description) attitude actually exist amongst the French towards their country and each other though?
Would Aires just be abused by the few to the detriment of the many were they to be set up over here?
Don't misunderstand me, I love my country but it does seem to breed a certain less than desirable element that seems hell-bent on taking what it wants with total disregard for anyone else.
You only have to compare the town centres of the two countries on a Friday or Saturday night to see that there's a definite difference between our cultures.
What works well for the French may not be so effective in the UK.

I've been to plenty of aires where the money is either collected by, or vehicles are checked for valid tickets by gendarmes.

In the UK it seems we can't be bother to check if laws or bye laws are being observed.

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
In the UK it seems we can't be bother to check if laws or bye laws are being observed.
I'm not sure it's a question of being bothered, it's more likely to be a case of the local constabulary being so over-stretched that resources won't allow it.
It doesn't help matters when half the weekend shift from Skegness have to waste half a day watching Mr Strangeway's entourage drinking tea at Huttoft instead of doing something more productive with their time and our money.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
The flip side of which is that [HI]each and every one of them will have had to have paid for the privilege [/HI]of course, whereas Dad and the kids are there on a freebie and also have the option of going to one of the other Picnic Areas along the same stretch of coast, all of which readily accept cars and families. :thumb:

[HI]
They don't pay, they just deprive others and ruin the environment with rubbish and by dumping shit.
Reported on here already.
[/HI]
Where dad and the kids are concerned, day only CAR parks are what they are about.

I didn't say it was THE solution, I was simply countering the argument that you seemed to be making regarding the family from the hotel missing out on their free day at the beach being in some way more important than the[HI] local Council drawing revenue from the over-nighting Motor Homers.
[/HI]Said revenue being part of the point that Puddleduck was making in his post, part of which you were quoting from. :Cool:

[HI]There is none, only the cost of cleaning up after them.[/HI]

The barriers are legal.
Good move by the council, much cheaper than employing a 24 hrs attendant.
To impose daytime only parking for motorhomes is a joke.
Come closing and moving off time, the attendant would be met by absence, refusal or the old bullshit excuse of "Cant move, I've been drinking".
The only way to enforce would be to warn of closing time and have any vans there after that time towed away.
If necessary after the occupants have been removed.

It's a classic example of the few spoiling life for the many.
I know a good few MH owners who think because they have paid a lot of money for their van they have rights over everyone else, in being able to park where ever and when ever they wish.
Others have rights, too.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
[HI]
They don't pay, they just deprive others and ruin the environment with rubbish and by dumping shit.
Reported on here already.
[/HI]
Where dad and the kids are concerned, day only CAR parks are what they are about.

[HI]There is none, only the cost of cleaning up after them.[/HI]

The barriers are legal.
Good move by the council, much cheaper than employing a 24 hrs attendant.
To impose daytime only parking for motorhomes is a joke.
Come closing and moving off time, the attendant would be met by absence, refusal or the old bullshit excuse of "Cant move, I've been drinking".
The only way to enforce would be to warn of closing time and have any vans there after that time towed away.
If necessary after the occupants have been removed.

It's a classic example of the few spoiling life for the many.
I know a good few MH owners who think because they have paid a lot of money for their van they have rights over everyone else, in being able to park where ever and when ever they wish.
Others have rights, too.

The two posts you are quoting were (as I stated in the latter) doing no more than offering a balanced counter-view to the post I was responding to.
I think if you bother to read all of my posts John you will realise that we are basically singing from the same hymn sheet here.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
The two posts you are quoting were (as I stated in the latter) doing no more than offering a balanced counter-view to the post I was responding to.
I think if you bother to read all of my posts John you will realise that we are basically[HI] singing from the same hymn sheet[/HI] here.

If you are coming from a scenario whereby they would be made to pay for being parked overnight only, we certainly are.

To park free day and night for days on end, in some cases a full week, denying others use of the facility, is taking the piss, even by freeloader standards.
The problem is, all attempts at negotiation have been ignored, so what do folk expect the council to do?
Barriers are the right decision.

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
unfortunately the guy is a Yorkshireman....makes me ashamed.

Has he actually had any bylaws overturned ?

And his argument re....table mounts etc.
if it says motorcaravan on the V5 then its a motorcaravan...table onboard or not.
Looks like he was clutching at straws with that argument :RollEyes:

Total tosser in my book and doing nobody any favours.

Having viewed the website of Andy it would appear his army/followers are gagging to take part in his protest or whatever against whomever with added bonus of having the local police in his pocket. I bet the police are quaking in their boots about the thought of further impending actions. Pretty good of Andy to call off the stormtroopers, well put them in a holding pattern around Lincolnshire until he summons them.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
If you are coming from a scenario whereby they would be made to pay for being parked overnight only, we certainly are.

To park free day and night for days on end, in some cases a full week, denying others use of the facility, is taking the piss, even by freeloader standards.
The problem is, all attempts at negotiation have been ignored, so what do folk expect the council to do?
Barriers are the right decision.
My reference to MH'ers being charged for overnight parking was only made in response to an earlier post which seemed to me to be completely missing the point of the one to which it was responding.
It was simply meant to balance the argument the previous poster had made.

As I said much earlier in this thread, I spoke with several members of the local community during my stay there last weekend and can see precisely where they're coming from in this matter.

Personally I wouldn't have overnight parking there at all as I don't see a need for it with all the CL's, CS's and regular Campsites that abound in the area and I personally have no interest whatsoever in "Wild Camping" .

My only issue with the barrier solution is that it prevents me doing what my family and I have done for many years, spending a few relaxing, carefree hours by the beach in one of our favourite haunts.

However, I have also conceded that nothing is likely to change here and I have accepted that it's time to use my Camper Van for the purpose for which it was designed and explore pastures new.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My reference to MH'ers being charged for overnight parking was only made in response to an earlier post which seemed to me to be completely missing the point of the one to which it was responding.
It was simply meant to balance the argument the previous poster had made.

As I said much earlier in this thread, I spoke with several members of the local community during my stay there last weekend and can see precisely where they're coming from in this matter.

Personally I wouldn't have overnight parking there at all as I don't see a need for it with all the CL's, CS's and regular Campsites that abound in the area and I personally have no interest whatsoever in "Wild Camping" .

My only issue with the barrier solution is that it prevents me doing what my family and I have done for many years, spending a few relaxing, carefree hours by the beach in one of our favourite haunts.

[HI]However, I have also conceded that nothing is likely to change here and I have accepted that it's time to use my Camper Van for the purpose for which it was designed and explore pastures new[/HI].
Good luck with that, my experience is that most great day parking has been abused to the extent that mechanical means have already been installed, so be prepared to be disappointed. The free loaders have already been and moved on to pastures new.

I have been camping in one form or another for a lot of years, seen with my own eyes the restriction of most fantastic day parking places along our coast. The main reason for my last three vans being under 2m in hight, I still have access to these places.:Cool:

My advice is, if hight barriers are spoiling you leisure activities then get yourself a four berth van that fits under hight restrictions.:thumb:

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
My advice is, if hight barriers are spoiling you leisure activities then get yourself a four berth van that fits under hight restrictions.:thumb:
I have been thinking about doing that in the form of a T5, Bongo or some other form of Pop-Top but internal space is already on the limit with the van we have.
I suppose an LT, Merc or Transit may be out there somewhere with the elevating roof but it's taken us so long to find the lay-out we liked and then to restore / personalise it that I'm a bit loathe to have to start from scratch again.
On top of which, like everyone else there are budget constraints to consider.
I don't want to end up with something that owes us so much that we're frightened to use it in case it gets worn or damaged.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Some cars with approved J-frames containing sea / fishing kayaks on the top won't go under a few of the height barriers so not even a chance of enjoying normal daytime leisure activities :cry: A few selfish people who won't or don't want to "play the game" have ruined things for the vast majority who are responsible.

One of my pet hates is when they don't tell you there is a height barrier until you are committed - having to reverse out of a one way system the wrong way is never fun.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back