height barrier

Discussion in 'England' started by dshague, Mar 23, 2014.

1. dshague

dshague Funster

post by andy strangeway on facebook ...http://andystrangewayovernightparkingcampaigner.wordpress.com/

At our Direct Action – Number 5, following discussion with and upon the request of Lincolnshire Police, we agreed to cease queuing at the height barrier at 12.25. I believe Inspector Colin Haigh should be praised for his actions. A compromise was agreed where if we ceased to queue at the height barrier he would ask Lincolnshire County Council (LCC) to meet with me to find resolution to the situation at Huttoft Car Terrace. I am pleased to confirm as promised Inspector Haigh was true to his word and has indeed sent an email to LCC

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

unfortunately the guy is a Yorkshireman....makes me ashamed.

Has he actually had any bylaws overturned ?

And his argument re....table mounts etc.
    if it says motorcaravan on the V5 then its a motorcaravan...table onboard or not.
    Looks like he was clutching at straws with that argument :RollEyes:

Total tosser in my book and doing nobody any favours.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Well I'd have to disagree with you there.

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

which part.....or all of it ?

5. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

I thought we'd done this one to death.
    The decision to erect barriers was a last, rather than first, resort by the council.
    As a day tripper, I, and I assume others, don't want to visit a place to have to park amongst deck chairs, washing lines, where grey waste is dumped at random and the sands are contaminated with shit.
    All of this has been reported first hand, approach by the council was ignored.
    The barrier is not an "illegal" one, neither is the bye law concerned.
    The car park is a car park, not a campsite, it is also the council's property.
    As such they can restrict whatever vehicles they like.
    Should lorries carrying frozen food with a fridge running 24/7 be allowed to park for a week at a time on this park?
    By the same reasoning from some on here, they should.
    There is a pic on a previous post supporting "wild camping".
    Heads up, folks...this ISNT wild, it's just skinflint, nuisance camping with no return to the community.

Is this the bit where we get the "human rights" guff?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    • Like Like x 11
  6. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Just had a thought.....
    What would these urban freedom fighting freeloaders do if the council closed the park and sold the land for development?
    They can do it, it's their land.
    Require the developers to provide them with free holidays?

• Like Like x 1
  7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Last I heard he doesn't even have a motorhome. Does his "wild camping" in a Skoda Fabia which isn't subject to a ban on motorhomes.

By all means let's have constructive arguments for off site camping facilities but do it in co-operation with councils, not in confrontation because that will only harden opposition.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sidney

Sidney Funster

As far as I can see he's asking for the barriers to be opened during the day...

This is a short dash away for me. Park up, pull out some chairs and have a great day.

Now I can't because of height barriers. Maybe I'm wrong; perhaps I should leave my taxed and insured motorhome outside my house and accept this was done as a last resort.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Which is basically returning to the same, abused, system that existed before the barriers. Tax and insurance confer no parking rights - and certainly no camping rights. Blame the abusers not the council.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Just checked back and yup oddly enough I'm not blaming anyone.

But thanks for the input :RollEyes:

11. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

what worries me is that other councils will see this action and use it as an argument against motorhome parking in their area. Living in a touristy seaside and forest area, we continually see vans abuse the local laws and camp where they want for weeks at a time. thats why height barriers are being put up and some of the best spots....the greedy selfish few ruin it for the majority

the chap linked to in the op needs to get a new hobby, as all he is doing is making matters worse not better

• Like Like x 5
  12. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Surely... Just like me... You can take your taxed and insured motorhome somewhere it will fit... I can't fit mine in the local sainsbury car park... So I don't take it there. But I can take it to a camp site or any of the well advertised (and getting fewer) car parks that will accept motorhomes.
    Blame the people who abused the parking areas.. Not the council.
    This guy seems to have far too much time on his hands and he certainly doesn't speak for me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sidney

Sidney Funster

I can take my motorhome to Sainsburys. But if motorhomes regularly camped overnight in their car park don't you think Sainsburys would do something about it? I don't think they would restrict all over-height vehicles from their car park because that would be STUPID. Yet a council can and do erect height barriers and Funsters say we should blame those who wildcamp.

My local Homebase has a barrier restricting ANY vehicles from entering after between 21:00 and 07:00. I don't care because I don't want nor need to visit Homebase in the middle of the night.

Equally I don't want to camp overnight in a car park. I'd just like to be able to park my motorhome.

• Like Like x 2
  14. The wizened of OZ

The wizened of OZ Funster

You must have different laws in the UK to us in Oz.

Here the council is elected and funded by THE COMMUNITY, not by themselves.
    In OZ the council would not have the right to sell land if THE COMMUNITY disagreed.
    Also THE COMMUNITY can lobby the council and get council orders reversed.

If THE COMMUNITY do not like the counsellors we can vote them out.:thumb:

15. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Seems to me that in nearly all cases re these car parks... Restrictions have been imposed because of previous poor council vs motorhome experiences.. Or the car parks only have bays for cars..
    It would be great if we could Park anywhere.. But as with other large vehicles.. We can't. We can lobby the councils and I think there are examples of that working... But as long as some motorhome users abuse the system and act like "dirty gypsy" then these restrictions are going to stay.
    Your argument seems to avoid the fact that these people exist and ruin it for everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Apologies then. Your last sentence read as if it included implicit blame.

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Over the years I've been in touch with all the major supermarkets (for the web site) on a number of occasions. Height barriers in supermarket car parks are rare but they have been used in the past where "traveller" incursion has happened during the store opening hours (when lower barriers would have been ineffective). There are, of course, some supermarkets which are served by multi-storey car parks which are inaccessible by high vehicles. Lower barriers such as the Homebase one mentioned tend to be installed to prevent use of the car park by boy racers overnight.

The case of Huttoft Car Terrace has been well documented in the press, here and on other forums. Lincolnshire County Council tried several other ways to persuade people to stop abusing the No Camping order but, in the end, permanent height barriers were installed as a last resort.

18. jezport

jezport Funster

If anyone dumps waste, throws litter setsup chairs they should be fined or punished in line with the laws which are in place to do so.

Many car users abusethe laws. Do we block their access? It is similar to racism banning one type of person.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sidney

Sidney Funster

We can generalise but why not be specific - especially when we have details?

There is plenty of room at Huttoft Beach. It does not have marked parking bays, nor any areas set aside for those with special needs.

[​IMG]

If the council want to stop persons from camping overnight they should do exactly that.

Instead they have spent thousands erecting a barrier that stops over-height traffic from using the car park. In the foreground of this photo is a mobile cafe - it's not pretty but it has a food hygiene certificate (yes I would I rather see a pretty chalet but that is free enterprise).

In the background you can see motorhomes and If I could find the correct folder I have lots of images of us using this facility throughout the years.

I believe charging for parking and enforcing parking laws would have been a much better solution that stopping owners of motorhomes from using this beautiful spot.

You can of course tell me I am wrong and that I should blame someone other than the parties who have taken away this facility.

20. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I do think some councils are "missing a trick". Take Sheriffhall P&R on the way to Edinburgh - yep, height barriers. Surely it wouldn't hurt the council to open the barriers when the travel centre opens in the morning to allow taller vehicles in - and lock them again when the travel centre closes in the evening? That would encourage visitors into the city to spend their money. This would cost very little or nothing and if an MH is left overnight then a parking charge could be levied.

Another idea might be to have a card operated height barrier where cards were issued either on application or by club membership and people had to agree not to stay overnight. Surely this would not be beyond the wit of man and could be enforced reasonably cheaply.

• Like Like x 1