Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
Hi all,
I'm an absolute beginner with Bessacarr E560 and we're (the boss and I) travelling to see our daughter for Christmas on South Uist as she's just moved there. Can any of you experienced funsters please tell me if there's anything specific that I should know/do about travelling on a ferry please?
All help gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Lucky you having a brilliant excuse to keep going out there, just about my favourite part of the world, although Harris is my real favourite

As for the crossing, never done one in December / January, could be delayed or rough, I would suggest using Uig (Skye) to North Uist for shortest route

Nice loading ramps at both ends, minimal risk of grounding, but just go slowly, they will not rush you and will usually stop you and come to your aid if there is an issue with grounding or space, never yet met an unhelpful Calmac crew (y)

Have a great time :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Euphony

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
Hi, thanks for the info, we've already booked the Uig-Lochmaddy ferry as it is, as you say, the shortest crossing and I'm not great on boats.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We too have an E560 and spent three weeks in the Hebrides earlier this year. No problems on any of the ferries, there are so many motorhomes heading out there now they're well used to them. Mind you a lot of the ferries are off today as they are experiencing a gale up there just now.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
anything specific that I should know/do about travelling on a ferry
When you drive onto the ferry, STOP until you get to the other side :xlaugh:

We can see South Uist from our new cottage on Skye.
Sometimes.
Depends on the weather.
Here, just below the setting sun.
sth uist.JPG

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
you will struggle to get LPG on the islands, we tried at Uig where they have it but the pump wouldn't work, on way back filled on Skye, cant recall the garage place now but just about the only pne on the RHS travelling to Uig about half way over before you get to Portree, a big one with Coop adjacent

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Euphony

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
you will struggle to get LPG on the islands, we tried at Uig where they have it but the pump wouldn't work, on way back filled on Skye, cant recall the garage place now but just about the only pne on the RHS travelling to Uig about half way over before you get to Portree, a big one with Coop adjacent
Thanks, I have 2 full 6kg bottles and will hook up at my daughters house to keep everything ticking over so will have minimal need of them.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
For bottled gas, there's Jan's just to the north of Portree. I'm sure there will be others too.
Link Removed

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Hi, thanks for the info, we've already booked the Uig-Lochmaddy ferry as it is, as you say, the shortest crossing and I'm not great on boats.

Secret to avoiding seasickness is to spend your time looking our to the horizon as much as is humanly possible. I promise you it works. Now go & enjoy the trip, hope you have a marvelous time, don't forget to show us some photo's upon your return.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
You'll love it. :xThumb:
Drive on , drive off and enjoy the island with your daughter. :xsmile:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
the shortest crossing and I'm not great on boats.

I'm the guy who gets seasick on a trip round the harbour. Used to dread even Dover to Calais.

It's easier to prevent seasickness than fix it when it's taken hold. I take a travel sickness tablet half an hour before the trip, and just take them as recommended for a long crossing.That's EVERY trip, even the water-bus round Venice.

Nowadays I can do the Santander ferry, and be up for a full English breakfast whatever the sea state.

I haven't ever had any of that drowsiness that's often reported as a side effect, but it's something to be aware of.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
When you drive onto the ferry, STOP until you get to the other side :xlaugh:

We can see South Uist from our new cottage on Skye.
Sometimes.
Depends on the weather.
Here, just below the setting sun.
View attachment 136597
Lovely view from a beautiful part of the world. When my parents first retired they bought a bungalow at Kyleakin, before the bridge went in and it was a perfect excuse to keep coming back to the island.
Definitely on the return visit list when my northern road trip starts next year :xThumb:

Reactions: CWH
Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Secret to avoiding seasickness is to spend your time looking our to the horizon as much as is humanly possible. I promise you it works. Now go & enjoy the trip, hope you have a marvelous time, don't forget to show us some photo's upon your return.[/QUOTE

And eat ginger biscuits.... Works a treat!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back