Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Having never used my mh overnight in winter I wonder if when using your motorhome on a site without EHU is it OK to leave the gas fire on over night in a vain hope of keeping the mh warm?
I must admit I would be very reluctant to do so but wonder what thoughts others might have.

Norman

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you have heat exchanger/convection heating then no problem....the burner is isolated/sealed from the inside of the van anyway.

blown air...no, too power hungry and will flatten your battery in a few hours

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I leave my gas heating on all winter 24/7 no problems yet after 3 winters fulltiming. Off hookup you just need to be aware that it does take some power out of your batteries though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Oi Norman you have an Autoleeper like we had, we used to turn the heater off at bed time not because of a safety worry just because it was too warm even on the lowest setting

!3.5 tog duvet and snuggle up:thumb::thumb:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Norman, we have used the gas heater on our Ravenna all night long on some occasions. We do not have the fan running in case of battery drain. These occasions are pretty rare events for us as we also have a 13.5 Tog duvet. I would also suggest that you use a carbon monoxide alarm if you do not already have one.

Brisey.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We've got gas Truma blown air combi. just come back from skiing in the French Alps the temperature was down to minus 25 and more at night and minus 17 during the day. Heating was on 24 hours a day for 10 days, no problems what so ever. We have 2 x 110amp Banner leisure batteries, we did run the genny about 20 minutes each day to keep everything working but the batteries never got close to being flat. In the UK we can do 3 or 4 days without EHU in winter running the heating fulltime, we leave the heating on about 8 degrees C at night to prevent any freezing or the boiler dumping, daytime if we're out about 15 degrees and evening when we're in about 22 degrees.:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I think some worry unnecessarily about the electric consumption of the blown air heating. The Truma uses about 4A at full whack but most of the time just runs at quite a low level using around 1A. I reckon typically max 40Ah per day when its cold. Not a problem if you are touring and moving every day or so assuming you have a couple of batteries.

if you've got a big duvet you can always turn the thermostat down at night.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I think some worry unnecessarily about the electric consumption of the blown air heating.
if you've got a big duvet you can always turn the thermostat down at night.

When we first got our van,with one leisure battery and no way of knowing what it was using,we went to the Poole Charity Meet-it was freezing-we ran our Truma blown air for 2 nights with no problems ::bigsmile: But-we didnt know what problems we could have had,so we werent looking for them-we had a great weekend.
Now we have solar panels,2 batteries,a NASA battery monitor and I stress about how much we are using. I think it was more fun when I didnt know ::bigsmile:
Mike.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
First night in this van of EHU last night. We turned the heating off (so no fan) but left the water heater on to avoid any dumping problems. We've been impressed, though, with how little power the fan actually uses. Hardly makes the needle on the ammeter flicker.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Problems. what problems

I too had this problem ! Last year (April to be exact) I invested in a Lunar Panel ! Here in Marjal there is a cloudless sky !! and the Amps are pumping in !!!

Dave Newall......I thank you for all the advice you have given me !:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
gas fire

I agree with you Laneside. Switch it off and snuggle down and don't forget to wear a wooly hat. 8 winters in Norway with the Commandos and never felt cold even in a snow hole.:Eeek: Heaters are for softies (Pse don't lynch me Only joking):Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
lots of info on lunar panels on google cant beat em join em.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Having never used my mh overnight in winter I wonder if when using your motorhome on a site without EHU is it OK to leave the gas fire on over night in a vain hope of keeping the mh warm?
I must admit I would be very reluctant to do so but wonder what thoughts others might have.

Norman
It will do no harm at all :thumb:We have Truma blown air and leave it on all night :thumb: It simply turns itself on and off when desired temp is reached :thumb:ONLY a 110 amp hr battery,No probs with flat batts etc after 2/3 of days no panels or anything and I don't worry about running out of power ::bigsmile:If it runs out (never has yet) it will simply shut down :winky: and the next day I will / would charge the battery by either going for a run in the van or getting on hook up -simple-There is far too much of people nattering about solar etc, and people spending money on such but the only thing is you will have a night without tv etc. TRY IT and see ::bigsmile:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back