Heating when camper has been winterised?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Julie S, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Julie S

Julie S Funster

Hello all, I am new to motorhoming and this is my first winter. I did not know that my camper would automatically dump water, so I did it manually and I am now hoping I have not made any drastic/costly mistakes. My query is (and apologies for sounding dumb) how do I heat my van when I take it out in the winter? It has a Truma Combi boiler system. Recently I was in a campsite in Gretna and I selected electric for heating but it only blew out cold air. I was not sure if I should select gas (I have onboard LPG - not bottles). I am not bothered about hot water as I use camp site facilities at the moment. I would be most grateful for any help and advice you can give me.

Thank you

2. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

From my limited knowledge electric is the most inefficient form of heating in a van. Use gas to get it warmed up and maybe switch to electric to keep it ticking over but experience is the best teacher.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

Hi, not sure if the combi boiler is the same principle as my system but here goes. When on ehu if using electric heater it is no where near as efficient as the gas heating, particularly if you are using blown air heating. The best way if its cold weather is to use the gas heater, if its extremely cold use gas and electric simultaneously.
    Just one other thing to check though is that the heater is actually turned on. Besides the heater controls above my hab door, there is also a switched spur power switch in a cupboard adjacent to the heater that needs to be turned on. The blower side is 12v so does not mean that the heater is getting 240v ac power. Come back to forum if problem not solved, Lance

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I dont have experience of your boiler but two things spring to mind.....

Either it needs water even though you only want warm air (it may extract heat from the hot water) or the electric heating element has failed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Mine has Trumatic C, sat in it now heating blasting out no water in the van as I drained it down last week. Its in the storage yard until next week and no hookup but heating works fine.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Viennese

Viennese Funster

MY van has the option of having heating running on gas and electric at the same time, so warms up pretty quickly, and same for hot water...

7. bertiebasset

bertiebasset Funster

Hi, Not sure if you have the instructions (see uploaded file)
    hope it helps,

Attached Files:

8. Soaringman

Soaringman Funster

We have the same boiler.
    If you have drained your boiler manually, then you need to reset it. The instructions above tell you how. Just a simple matter of putting the button in the right position. You will also need water in your tank as this is what is heated to give the warm air for heating.
    This is from a non techy but I think I am right. It is true that if it is really cold you will need your gas on, as the electricity only gives a poor amount of heat.

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

The joy of forum answers.......one answer will be correct (y)

10. Chipster

Chipster Funster Life Member

We have 6E heating and can have blown air heat without water in the boiler.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Forestboy

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Bet your life on it.
    BUT which one :eek:

12. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

The Truma does NOT need water to provide space heating. However if you don't want it to dump water through the safety valve then leave the heater unit on 'water only' overnight and the safety valve sensor will not trigger (happens around 3c)

We are using electric heating right now (separate convector heaters......... not Truma) but still leave the boiler on water heating to avoid the safety valve dumping all our fresh water.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Forestboy

As I said been sat in mine for the last 4 hours heating blasting away and no water in the system. When we are away in seriously cold weather especially when skiing we put a peg on the valve to stop it dumping. We do leave it on 24 hours though just lower the temperature at bed time.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Julie S

Julie S Funster

Wow.....you lot are amazing. Thank you so much for all of your feedback. Now, I just have to make sense of it, especially the issue of 'YES, water is required to obtain heat' and 'NO water is required'. I will read the instructions although I have difficulty understanding them as much as I don't understand scientific terminology. I need to get to a meet where I can have some face to face advice.

• Like Like x 1
  15. bungy

bungy Funster

Im presuming you have a combi 4e or a 6e as youre able to select electric? the 4/6 doesnt work with electric (you will have two control dials for the 'e' variant

we have the 6e combi - only difference is the 6E has a max output of 6kw where as the 4e only goes to 4kw - but that is using gas,
    on electric only the max is 1.8kw, which isnt alot to warm a van up, maintain the temp yes, but not get it there quickly!!

Saying that - the air coming out should not have been 'cold' - although it can take a good 5mins for the air at the vents to feel warmer, even longer for some of the longer runs, we have one that never gets above 'cool' unless i run the heater at full pelt and close down the other vents

The unit can be used without water in the boiler, for heating only - but you need to check the settings on the control panel to make sure you have only selected position D, as per below

upload_2015-1-16_16-24-11.png

Finally the valve will only auto dump when the temperature around it settles at or below 3c - our valve is situated next to the unit so if it is on then the temp of the unit alone will keep it above that, and you can only reset it if the ambient temperature around the valve is above 7c. Make sure you keep it closed though when your using the van...the water pump will merrily dump all of the contents of your water tank when its on!!!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  16. Forestboy

Hark at Inspector Gadget the Font of all Knowledge, well answer this;
    How many spots on a leopard.????? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don't listen to him I had to show him how to use a smartphone.:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Had you plugged it into a 230 supply? You never know!:giggle:

18. bungy

bungy Funster

Numerous....

19. Julie S

Julie S Funster

Thank you BertieBasset for the instructions which I have now read. I do feel a lot more confident now and will take 'Betty' out for a day trip over the weekend and see what happens.

Are there any Funsters living near me in Mirfield, West Yorkshire?

20. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Possibly, but in a completely useless & otherwise unconnected piece of information, my grandfather was vicar of Mirfield from about 1923 to 1933.

As to the Combi, firstly, you are most unlikely to have damaged it by draining it. Our Combi 4e quite definitely blows hot air with or without any water in it.

If it's any consolation, it's almost impossible to work out what the various symbols & positions mean on the rotary control unless you have access to the manual. The twin dial gas and/or electric models are worse - I had to have a crib sheet for the first few trips. But bungy's picture above explains all.

• Like Like x 1