Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
hi,
I need some advice . We are off to france/portugal/spain in october for 6 months and think we might some extra heating when the weather turns cold . What portable heating do you guys recommend , convecters seem to use a lot of power 2 kw and are noisy , oil filled radiaters (are they very heavy), panel heaters seem to go down to 250w but is the output so low to be no use. All this and only 6 amp hookup. My better half can be a right pain if she is cold HELP
thanks
keith
:helpsos::helpsos::helpsos::helpsos::helpsos:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
We used an oil filled radiator when in the RV - thought we wouldn't be able to take it in our much smaller 5.64 metre van but it is really neat and light and fits in no problem.
You can get a similar one here:

East Coast Leisure : View Product

:Smile:
Keith

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
hi,
I need some advice . We are off to france/portugal/spain in october for 6 months and think we might some extra heating when the weather turns cold . What portable heating do you guys recommend , convecters seem to use a lot of power 2 kw and are noisy , oil filled radiaters (are they very heavy), panel heaters seem to go down to 250w but is the output so low to be no use. All this and only 6 amp hookup. My better half can be a right pain if she is cold HELP
thanks
keith
:helpsos::helpsos::helpsos::helpsos::helpsos:

We use a small oil filled rad. for use at night, 500W, just keeps the night chill out. :thumb:
If sitting in the evening a fan heater used on the lower settings so we don't blow the trip. Our van also has a diesel heater, not so cheap now, but at least in Spain no problem refuelling. If using LPG, this can be a problem in Spain as there are very few outlets. :Sad:
The difference this year is that some sites are starting to charge for electric by the KW, so this may change our plans while down South. :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
We have a couple of these in our conservatory, keeps the chill out, very compact only 180 watts and less than £20.00

Link Removed

Must be worth a try at that price!!:thumb:

Upvote 0

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
We use a small oil filled rad. for use at night, 500W, just keeps the night chill out. :thumb:
If sitting in the evening a fan heater used on the lower settings so we don't blow the trip. Our van also has a diesel heater, not so cheap now, but at least in Spain no problem refuelling. If using LPG, this can be a problem in Spain as there are very few outlets. :Sad:
The difference this year is that some sites are starting to charge for electric by the KW, so this may change our plans while down South. :RollEyes:

Im sure ive read somwhere that it is illegal to sell on electricity to a 3rd party. Which is why sites fit such small breakers on the hookups.:cry:

This might have changed but im sure it hasnt :Eeek:

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We have a couple of these in our conservatory, keeps the chill out, very compact only 180 watts and less than £20.00

Link Removed

Must be worth a try at that price!!:thumb:

That's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for Dazzer.:thumb:

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Im sure ive read somwhere that it is illegal to sell on electricity to a 3rd party. Which is why sites fit such small breakers on the hookups.:cry:

I can't believe that this is true. It is illegal to buy electricity by the kwh and sell it as £x per day. This is why many campsites include the electricity in the price of the pitch.

Some French campsites told me that the charge was not for the electricity but the hire of the campsite electric socket!!

I cannot see why the size of the breaker has anything to do with the legality of the sale!

Sites have also told me that they have low amperages for two main reasons (they didn't include making a big profit) - one is the limited capacity of the wiring to take anything much higher and the other is that they are limited by the amount supplied to them.

The reason why I chat so much with campsite owners is because I visit sites for assessment purposes - I work for a well known campsite guide.

Though many Caravan Club sites offer 16 amps there are often notices displayed in the toilet asking campers to keep their consumption to around 6 to 8 amps at times of heavy usage due to the limits of electrical system.

Just imagine 200 pitches, 16 amps each and therefore a load of 3200 amps or around 800 kW - just imagine the size of the cables supplying the site.

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

You are right dazzer, but that is in the UK, I was referring to sites in Spain, & that's a whole different ball game. :Doh:

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Yes that's the one I've got - couldn't remember where I'd got it from. Perfect size and adjustable up to 700 watt.

:Smile:
Keith

Have you used it in the winter Keith and is one up to the job for a van or should I invest in 2.

The kids feel the cold you see.:RollEyes:

Should pull a max of around 6-6.5 amps.Would only leave 1 on overnight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Why do so many people say that oil filled radiators are small and light.

Compared to a simple free standing or wall mounted convector heater they are larger and much heavier (they are full of oil!)

The other downside to an oil radiator is their response time. They take much longer to heat up and cool down compared to a convector heater.

If you buy the type that has a solid heating element, like the old fashioned kettle element of an immersion heater, rather than the element like a the inside of the old fashioned electric light bulb you will have a small, light, robust heater that responds very quickly to demand.

Upvote 0

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
We also use an oil filled rad. Put it on 3 (scale of 1-6) overnight and then leave on in the day if necessary at about 3 or 4 - keeps the chill off, cheap to run and doesn't blow the leccy. However fan heater at night necessary if you don't want to sit in your coat!

Some sites in England are also starting to charge for electricity on meters, don't know whether that's good or bad. Went to look at one today which was £8 plus metered electric at the end of your stay, but how do you know what they're going to charge you per unit is fair or not?

On club sites we're charged about £2.75-£3.00 a night for electric and I think they're making a profit out of us at that level (certainly they are in the summer)
but at least at the end of your stay you've no extra bills to pay
Jan

Upvote 0

TravellingCliffs

Free Member
May 15, 2008
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
since 1999
We also use an oil filled rad. Put it on 3 (scale of 1-6) overnight and then leave on in the day if necessary at about 3 or 4 - keeps the chill off, cheap to run and doesn't blow the leccy. However fan heater at night necessary if you don't want to sit in your coat!

Some sites in England are also starting to charge for electricity on meters, don't know whether that's good or bad. Went to look at one today which was £8 plus metered electric at the end of your stay, but how do you know what they're going to charge you per unit is fair or not?

On club sites we're charged about £2.75-£3.00 a night for electric and I think they're making a profit out of us at that level (certainly they are in the summer)
but at least at the end of your stay you've no extra bills to pay
Jan

We have a halogen heater, 2 bar, 1 400w and the second 800w. Some European sites have a very low threshold. We are in France and Spain in Jan, Feb and Mar and we are never cold.

Upvote 0
H

herman

Deleted User
Hi

All the big supermarkets sell oil filled radiators in the winter, in a range of sizes from about 20 Euros up! They are efficient and don't consume a lot of electricity. Also you couls consider getting a local gas bottle if you are going to be in one place ie portugal, though they are several places where \british bottles can be refiled on the Algarve

Regards

Herman

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I have fitted two very thin panel heaters to the walls in the 5er, they ARE light (not full of oil) are only about 2" inc. a gap from the wall and draw little power, they give us enough heat most of the time, when we have cool nights we leave one of them switched on low, when it is cold we need backup heat.
I have a tube heater waiting to be fitted UNDER the wardrobe, to stop damp in our clothes.
I still have not fixed our gas heating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Try to avoid any open flame gas heater (like super ser) they give off a HUGE amount of moisture
Nigel

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back