autocruise

Free Member
May 19, 2008
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi everyone - Happy New Year - I have the normal cascade elec/gas water heater but find when showering with this system it is not 100%. When in use cold water is entering the unit contstantly lowering the temperature, even with gas and electric switched on it cannot keep the temperature up with the through flow . Has anyone had experience fitting and using a gas instantaneonus water heater which would give me constant hot water to the shower, or is there any other system available which would improve on the cascade for use in motorhomes?

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Hi you didn`t say what capacity your water heater is mine is a 10 litre one and using gas and electric I can manage a shower and the missus waits 5 minutes and she gets one .
you have to consider instantaneous water heater as a lot of them are open vented
so you are susceptable to fumes you know the one silent and deadly :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:Cheers Rob.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Autocruise,

I fitted a new Atwood and find it works very well.Both gas and electric.

I don't think you'll get over the problem...especially in really cold weather, of cold water entering the unit and subsequently dropping the water temp.

We find this unit works for us but I do know there are instantaneous heaters out there that are wall mounted.(Heat as required as does a condensing boiler at home)

Haven't seen them in motorhomes but someone must have I guess.

As with everything gas, venting is extremely important.

Steve.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
We had an instantaneous heater many years ago in a motorhome an Auto- Homes Camelot about 1980's. Think they are still made but seem to have gone out of fashion, possibly due to venting problems, or the amount of wall space they took up. They were just like the ascot heaters as used at home only a smaller version, I think there name was something like Palomo but can't quite remember.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
It may pay you to de-coke your water heater.

I use white wine vinegar and water solution to keep my Truma heater calcium free.

Trum's website has details of the mix ratios and the vinegar and water mix really works. I tried it in an electric kettle before using it on the 'van's boiler and was very impressed with the result.
Posted via Mobile Device

2bigH

Free Member
Dec 27, 2009
cleveland uk
Funster No
MH
Demountable L/R
Exp
18/19
water heaters

Hi Guys, My last 2 motor homes had the 2kwt??? Carver water heaters in them,when I built now my third one I said no more Carvers. like the member said it realy is a rush job to have a warm shower start to finish. I decided to fit the Eberspacher diesel water heater with an 18ltr calorifier water tank, other sizes are available. remember these diesel powered units can legaly be run on the cheaper red gas oil. and I think are cheaper to run than any gas units. some owners run them from their vehicle diesel tanks, my 10ltr tank is filled up about twice a year. not forgetting diesel is much easier to find than gas, bottled or otherwise. on full pelt the 5 kwt unit allows me to now have a very leisurley hot shower. and it runs the central heating as well ,so, snug as a bug. be safe. 2bigH.:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
autocruise

autocruise

Free Member
May 19, 2008
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thank you all for taking the time and trouble to help. I have now come across a Morco F11e gas instantaneous water heater which is room sealed and suitable for fitting to motorhomes. Anyone had any experience with this product or company?

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
This is the sort of thing I think you mean....

Link Removed

Steve.

moz-screenshot-1.png

Attachments

• Morco water heater.jpg
    Morco water heater.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 4

prescott56

Free Member
Jan 4, 2010
Sardinia or UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
a while
Paloma

HI,
We've used a Paloma instant water heater on the boat for the last 3 years, they were standard fittings then, 1979. I believe they are no longer fitted as they are deemed "dangerous". We and quite a few of our friends still use them.
They work very well, bit heavy on gas in my opinion.
In the 'van we have a truma 10litre gas only water boiler, which i must admit is very very good. Wife showers first, they i get the leftovers, but give it 15 mins and its ok.

If i had to start again on a budget i would go for an instant water heater, less than 200 squids brand new and no moving parts. If money wasn't a problem i'd go the eberspacher/Webasto route with a nice 20/30 litre calorifier.

all just my opinion
Regards
Roy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back