Heating house while away in winter (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2014
N.E . Scotland
Funster No
MH
Chausson 717 GA
Exp
Since 2015
As a plumber ,In my opinion if leaving your home for an extended period in the winter switch off all water and drain heating and water systems , if you boiler or any other components fail you would not have any frost protection regardless of what your thermostat is set at .

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
When I said expensive I meant compared to fitting a programmable roomstat myself http://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-digistat-3-room-thermostat/75750

less than £60. Easy to fit and can program different times on and off 7 days a week of course it depends how the week goes as we are at work the weeks don't vary that much.Don't know how much the hive is fitted but as I said great if your week varies a lot. I set the room stat to turn the heating on to a low temp first (so doesn't come on at all if not cold) then higher when really needed so can come on only just before required if not so cold. At work we have zoned the building into 3 areas so can have heating on and off separately at different times of day at different temperatures different days of the week. Its great not to use energy you don't need.

OP
OP
Ivory55

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
This is where people with storage heaters can feel a little smug over us gas boiler people, haha.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
We turn off the gas boiler which is powered by an LPG tank in the garden and use three oil or as they are now oil free freestanding radiators scattered around the bungalow on timers. These come on for a few hours during the night but have thermostats on them so will come on if required.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
As a plumber ,In my opinion if leaving your home for an extended period in the winter switch off all water and drain heating and water systems , if you boiler or any other components fail you would not have any frost protection regardless of what your thermostat is set at .
Wise words...

Not many people are aware of the potential for their condenser boiler to fail them just when they need it.

Some interesting info in this link: http://www.theaa.com/home-insurance/advice/condensing-boiler-tips

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
When we turn ours to off it automatically goes to frost stat and it does cut in when nec ,being working ok last two years.

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
I am an ex trucker but could not find an engineer to fit my NEST in my house. Back boiler, no thermostat and pumped heating. Managed to get correct wiring from their help forum and am well pleased.Cost of installation was zero. Has halved my heating bills over last 2 years and as said previously, can be adjusted on phone when away, has frost protection (9 degrees) and links to 2 smoke alarms so will cut off the gas boiler in event of fire. Wonderful piece of kit.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
We are thinking of going away for a month or two early next year.
Plan to switch off water at the meter and drain the pipes (french houses don't have cold water tanks).
Switch off CH system but that contains anti-freeze so should be ok
Will check with insurance co to see if they have any special anti-payout rules.

May have to continuing living in MH for a day or few when we get back though.

Check your insurance carefully. I had a burst ( well a few burst pipes) I think it was 2011. Coldest winter for about 60 years. I was at home but usual story in France, huge old house, solid walls. Wind was coming from East and hitting exposed side of house. First question insurance asked was " was your central heating system on?"
It was a bad year for burst pipes. Heard of one woman who'd gone to the UK, stayed on longer than she'd intended, not turned water off and returned to a swimming pool in her cellar. And a very large water bill.

A lot of French insurance policies pay 80% of a claim and the final 20% only after you submit all receipts from registered plumbers/ plasterers etc..

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Not sure how water-free pipes would burst so pls enlighten me.

Thanks

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not sure how water-free pipes would burst so pls enlighten me.

Thanks
Not sure which post you're questioning but generally unless you can get all of the water out of a system there will still be some in which could freeze and burst, or put a leak into a joint etc, which you wouldn't know about until you turned the water on again, however if the vast majority of the water is out it would allow for any remaining water to expand along the pipe if it freezes, rather than towards the sides of it, but you'd need to leave all your taps open so it wasn't a sealed system.

Its the same reason when you drain off your MH's water system in winter than you put the taps in the open position so that any water left in them can escape if freezing occurs rather than damage them.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you actually looked at my Hive screen capture - you might notice that Hive monitors current house temperature & target temperature - so no "thinking" involved... :rolleyes:.
System monitors ambient & switches on heating if necessary :whistle:
So sarcasm aside - it is a wonderful device :cool:.
That does make it a wonderful device then.
Our heating is by oil, and is old enough to be able to use fossil fuel with the bones and plants still in, i obviously havent used one so was guessing on the way it works. :whistle:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
That does make it a wonderful device then.
Our heating is by oil
It works with oil fired central heating - in fact the fitter who came round said he had oil fired & it worked really well.

TBH - I got it, not for burst pipes prevention - but because I needed a new programmer/timer & thermostat, which I would have needed to be fitted because I'm DIY incompetent.
The room stat was an old bimetal one which was vague +/- 5 so I'd end up being far too hot before it turned off, then far too cold before it kicked in again.

So yes, standard replacements would have been a bit cheaper but I was swayed by the promotional "save the cost in a year"*, the comfort & the convenience given my [then] erratic work schedule.

*I've no idea if this is even close to being true - as I keep changing my Utility supplier, and since installation I went part-time then retired, so at home more frequently.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back