heating, electric hook ups and LED lights

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Philcott, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Philcott

Philcott Read Only Funster

I've been wondering, having read a couple of threads about keeping warmth in the van, when it is standing - can you use one of those oil filled radiators when hooked up to EHU on a caravan site or will it blow the electrics? I've got to go down to Welwyn Garden City in a few days time, and wondered if I could take the heater with me, and save my gas. I'll be travelling very light, so no problem with weight.

I currently have little neon lights and spotlights in the MH and would like to swop to LED's to save the battery. Excuse my ignorance, but can you just screw LED bulbs into the spotlight fittings, or do the fittings have to be changed -I'm assuming that one has to change the fittings for the neon lights and use something completely different.

I have a neon light over my gas hob, and would dearly love to take it out and fit a recirculating extractor system with integral lights, might this be possible do you think? There are cupboards above the light.

If my questions seem a little pathetic, sorry, but being a total newbie to anything to do with Motorhomes, I really do need some practical advice (along with the micktaking that is sure to follow! :BigGrin:)

2. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

Not sure about the lights, somebody will know, there was a thread recently concerning the oil filled heaters and problems, you could do a search.

I got a couple of electric tube heaters, type you use in greenhouses etc, also a thermostat with a double socket plugged in feeding the heaters, set the temp you want and they work ok as long as you are on EHU.

3. Philcott

It's the EHU on campsites that I worry about! I'm sure I read that it is very easy to trip the entire campsite if you overload the system.

I don't have the money to purchase a new tube heater at the moment - got a £300 bill to pay on Monday for service and cambelt change!

Hence my question - but thanks PaulyP - it was actually the heating posts that brought this to mind and made me ask the question! :Smile:

4. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi yes you can use the oil filled rad :thumb: and save on gas :BigGrin: Led lights are as easy as changing a light bulb simply find out the size you require -say MR11 AND 12V look on ebay for some chinese ones (very cheap about £2 each inc p&p) get a couple of extra ones :thumb: but make 2 or 3 purchases because if you exceed about £16 they charge you import duty which ends up more than the bulbs :Doh:- got the tee shirt for that :BigGrin:Chances are people will tell you get get from so and so UK etc but chances are the so called better bulbs were made in China anyway:Wink: and quadrouple the price :Eeek:Yes you can fit a extracter :BigGrin:
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  5. maz

maz Funster

Depends on the wattage of the heater and the amperage of the hook-up. If it's 16A then you've got around 3.5 kW total before needing to worry about tripping. :Smile:

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I assume you mean florescent lights - tube lights. You would have to replace them but they aren't too bad in terms of current, so low on the priorities. If you good at DIY you could strip the guts and rebuild with LEDS, but hen you wouldn't be asking here.

Spotlights, remove the bulb make sure it says 12V and match it here:

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/led-product-catalogue/caravan-motorhome-leds.html

You'll get them cheaper on ebay, or you may prefer to buy locally for easier service.

7. hdvrod

hdvrod Read Only Funster

We have never used the heating in our MH,we dont camp wild so allways have access to hookup and use little portable fan heater,warms up the place in minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. aba

aba

there was a company at the lincoln show selling led replacement bulbs for the fluorescent type that didn't require a strip out of the fitting you just put the led tube in without any modifications.

cant remember who they were but they had sold out over the weekend

9. Philcott

Yes I mean florescent light - thanks for that Brian. Nope, I'm no good at DIY as you guessed - give me a sewing machine and a piece of fabric and I could probably manufacture just about anything, but electrics, mechanical and all things in between - hopeless!:thumb:

Thank you people, just the sort of information I was looking for!

10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

best is use gas lights .
    light.heat and keep midges away.
    been using them for years .saves leccy much better than led lights.
    two gas lights on and it can be lovely.
    look on ebay usually some on there .or truma do new ones.
    see them in some of the continental m,home catalogues as well,

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Fluorescent tube lights have an inverter in the fitting to provide 230v so 12v leds are out of the equation.

My RV has 9 x twin tube fluorescent lights and i simply cut the 12v feed wires and, using the original 12v feed wires, fitted these led strips.

[​IMG]

http://www.ledbulbs4u.co.uk/catalogue/Index.jsp;jsessionid=019BAE23157979B4DB48330FAE514717?cID=24&p=1&ps=18&cTitle=LED+BULBS&brandID=

12. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Phil, grab hold or some lengths of LED light strips from fleabay ( proly cost you less than £20 for the lot.. buy TWO strips per strip light..

If you do not fancy having a go at it your self, the first FUN meet you go to someone ( me if I am there but lots of folk will dive in ) take em with you and get em swapped out !

13. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

LOL !!! Phil, just remembered !

You are only up the road from me.. Just shout me and come on over mate.. not a problem :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  14. hilldweller

All I could do with a sewing machine is stab myself to death.

• Like Like x 2
  15. hilldweller

I reckon anyone who could work a sewing machine could manage that. Neat solution.

16. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

I used one of THESE took the guts out of the light fitting and wound the strip leds back and forth in the holder and soldered the wires onto the switch:thumb: job done, just wish I'd taken some photo's now:Doh:

You just need to decide if ya want bright white or warm white:Cool:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  17. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

I replaced a 20 watt halogen spot with a twin 8 watt fluorescent fitting over the kitchen worktop and saved a bit of juice.
    In turn I replaced the twin tube fitting with a multiple LED fitting. Didn't make a lot of difference in leccy consumption but increased light levels by at least 3 times.

I have replaced every bulb with an LED including the awning and locker lights. The process was done simply by replacing the bulb in the original fitting.
    I've used a small oil-filled radiator in the van for years (900watts) with no problems. It stopped working so I replaced it with 2 smaller rads to distribute the heat more evenly.
    Also, to save even more gas when on EHU I bought a single electric induction hob (Lidl...£30) which works well. Suitable pans available from Tesco (£2.00-£5.00).
    By using an extension lead it can be used as an electric BBQ outside. Especially appreciated if cooking a strongly flavoured item such as fish.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Philcott

thank you Jaws! Will take you up on that in the New Year - life is a bit hectic at the moment, what with son getting married next week, Christmas the week after and two new grandchildren courtesy of the new daughter-in-law - am up to my ears! AND my dog being spayed on Wed, and I so want to take my MH out and play! :Wink:

19. Philcott

Thanks Tim - I suspect it will be the warm white - easier on the eyes!

20. catspyjamas

catspyjamas Funster

IMHO bright white lights are ideal if you'd like to recreate the ambience of a mortuary :Rofl1:. I tried them initially and rapidly swapped them for warm white.

I use an electric halogen heater when on EHU and have had no problems. I am careful though to unplug it when I put the kettle on so as not to overload the circuit.

I like the idea of a single induction hob to further reduce my gas usage :thumb: