Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Not just for overnight heating. Fit one anyway. There was neither CO nor smoke alarm in our van when we bought it. I got a combined unit for a very reasonable price which was very easily fitted.

Hmm,combined unit-Just read that smoke rises and CO falls,so where do you put a 'combined unit' halfway up or down ? :Smile:

Mike.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Hmm,combined unit-Just read that smoke rises and CO falls,so where do you put a 'combined unit' halfway up or down ? :Smile:

Mike.

Fitted a Kidde CO (only) detector today, read instructions (!) - says fit no higher than 1 metre off floor.

Smoke detectors should be fitted as high as possible.............don't understand how detecting CO at ceiling height would be safe.......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years
Hot Water Bottle.

I know I've posted this before, but here's a reminder. Save your empty two litre lemonade or similar plastic bottle. Fill with hot water and use as hot water bottle. Used them for the last 5 or 6 years. Put in an old sock for more comfort. Spent 4 night over last Christmas after parties, with MH heating off during night, but the hot water bottle kept us " snug as a bug in a rug" , to quote my late grandmother.
We also use them at summer BBQs when it gets a little chilly just keep on your lap it keeps your whole body warm. Keeps the red wine warm as well!
Look forward to meeting more Funsters next year when or if I manage to retire.
Regards Brian.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I really, really feel the cold so we have 2 duvets on our bed, if its going to be a warm night, we sleep on top of one and just have the other on top.

If it is going to be really cold I have a hot water bottle and/or also wear a zip up 'hoodie' and put the hood up - it really does make a heck of a difference - better than the woolly bobble hat I used to wear! :RollEyes: Oh, and fluffy pink bedsocks too!!! :Blush:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Fitted a Kidde CO (only) detector today, read instructions (!) - says fit no higher than 1 metre off floor.

Smoke detectors should be fitted as high as possible.............don't understand how detecting CO at ceiling height would be safe.......

Looking at various web pages the advice about fitting height varies. Many recommend head height - which, in a motorhome, isn't a lot different from ceiling height. The constant recommendation, though, appears to be "follow the manufacturer's instructions for placement at the correct height."

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Truma heater uses between 1A and 5A though the higher figure only when heating up from cold. We leave ours on all the time when it's at all cold as SWMBO feels the cold. Solar keeps the batteries charged up.

CO detector and smoke detector high up. Gas detector low down as butane/propane heavier than air. The gas detector has been tested a couple of times by the dog when she's asleep with her backside next to it. Glad its nowhere near me or we wouldn't get any sleep.:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back