Heating a campervan

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by rogerabbit, Sep 17, 2013.

1. rogerabbit

rogerabbit Read Only Funster

Hello all

Just purchased my first campervan and would welcome advice from those in the know. It's a Toyota Townace MPV 2.2 diesel automatic converted by West Country Conversions.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/webchat/attach/jpg.gif

Planning to get away in October and no doubt it will be cold. Do you think it would be safe and advisable for me to use a small oil filled portable radiator in the van. It has lots of settings and safety features and doesn't get over warm at the base. It's made by Hyundai and is only 17" x 24" and 4" thick. Small but effective. Warmed a smallish room during last winter's cold spell.

Only me in the van so plenty of room to position it away from fittings and obviously only to be used with mains hook-up. Trying to upload photos of the radiator and the van but forgive me if they don't show. First post on this site.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=20271&stc=1&d=1379415828

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=20272&stc=1&d=1379415828

The van has no curtains or blinds and is open to the world. There are times when this may not be a good thing! Don't want pretty curtains and have been online looking for blinds but there doesn't seem much around. Do you have any suggestions?

More photos follow - maybe - probably not. Think they may come out as https to click on.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/webchat/attach/jpg.gif

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=20274&stc=1&d=1379416419

Sorry if my queries seem stupid. I'm learning! And looking forward to reading all your helpful tips on the site.

Best. Roger.

Attached Files:

2. maz

maz Funster

Hi and welcome to the Fun! :welcome:

Quite a lot of people use oil-filled radiators to take the chill off their vans - probably a good idea to stand it on a tin tray just in case it should leak.

Depending on the wattage of the heater and the amperage of the hook-up, you might need to switch it off when using items such as electric kettle to stop the supply overloading and tripping out.

• Like Like x 2
  3. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

ok to use that heater if you have electric hook up no chance through an invertor you realy need gas or deisel heater installed if your going to be of grid
    no curtains blinds or heater id say thats a west country part conversion

4. Wissel

Wissel Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  5. phase3begins

phase3begins Read Only Funster

No curtains...just means you will need clean undies

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

I would use thermal foil (bubble wrap with foil lining) to line every window in your vehicle. We used it in our Mazda Bongo for years and only condensation when it was very cold outside (there were two adults inside the main vehicle and 2 kids in the roof). It is a lot cheaper than other liners and easier to use (imho) E.g. http://www.wickes.co.uk/thermal-insulation-foil-roll-600mmx8m/invt/210022/

We also used an oil filled rad (once) but found that a good sleeping bag / duvet and the foil linings were adequate.

• Like Like x 3
  7. rogerabbit

Don't wear 'em, Phase 3. There lies the problem.

8. sedge

sedge Funster

Join Suntreckers then!

• Like Like x 1
  9. rogerabbit

Oooooooooooooooh ! Jenny Wren! Norty norty! Actually I was kidding. I'm having some long johns made from the thermal screen material that Wissel recommended.

10. Wissel

Wissel Read Only Funster

Is this why you want the curtains or the heating :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

an oil filled radiator is fine, just dont cover it when its on
    http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/ make thermal window blinds for all vans. not cheap, but quality rarely is

a cheap solution is foil covered bubble wrap. buy it by the roll cheaply and cover edges with aluminium tape. then fit to inside of windows using suckers. have made a set for inside all my motorhome windows and skylights to use in subzero temperatures

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

Any electric heater would be, at best, supplementary to a fixed heating system because you won't be able to get sufficient output from any mains hook-up to raise the van temperature in a reasonable length of time. It's going to be cold for a bit when you stop! You could achieve some initial warmth with the vehicle heater, but that only applies when you've been driving of course.

What may be more critical is the potential for damage to your domestic services by low temperature. Empty any water tanks if they're not insulated/heated.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  13. catspyjamas

catspyjamas Funster

Welcome to the fun!!! :welcomefunster:

I too have a small van and find my oil filled radiator excellent. It's much easier and safer to tuck it out of the way when it's in use than any other type of electric heater.

I agree with others that the best investment you could make would be external blinds for the cab windows. They make an enormous difference to the internal temp keeping you cooler in summer as well as warmer in winter. I think that you'd benefit from some sort of thermal covering at your other windows.

Then there's the clever tricks that you pick up from other happy campers, such as closing the air intake on the cab heater and pitching so that the wind doesn't blow directly into your fridge vents. :thumb:

All in all, I don't find the temperature a real issue. I do have gas warm air heating for when I'm off hookup. If all else fails, I keep loads of throws in the van and wrap myself up in them and cuddle the dog :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 4
  14. maz

maz Funster

Continuing my campaign to get motorhome manufacturers to install fridges properly: If the fridge is correctly installed you will not get draughts coming into the van around the fridge! :wub:

• Like Like x 5
  15. rogerabbit

Big thank you

Many thanks to everyone who has helped me out on this thread. And I now fully understand why the site describes itself as THE FRIENDLIEST.

Taking just about everyone's ideas into consideration, I think my converted MPV lends itself to two internal thermal sidescreens - running from the front driver/passenger windows to the rear of the vehicle - each covering both side windows. I think, rather than suction pads, I will run a length of velcro above the windows for quick fitting at night - with some velcro spots below the windows to hold them flush. Two metres of the material recommended by you, edged with aluminium tape as suggested will do the job.

At the front of the van - I may purchase one of the ready made screens which fits behind the windscreen and the driver/passenger side windows. They seem to be dimensionally suited to larger vans - but I'm sure could be cut down to fit.

I may leave the rear window uncovered.

I doubt whether anyone will still be following this thread - but if you are - thanks again and what do you think?

Roger.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  16. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

With the internal windscreen/side windows insulation covers, you get condensation, with the exterior ones you wouldn`t, I have the Silver Screens exterior well recommended. just a thought.

You may be able to pick a second hand exterior from that auction site, i have seen some on there. :thumb:

Welcome by the way ,

• Like Like x 1
  17. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

For the inside side and rear windows, get some thermal camping mats, cut to fit, suction thingies to each corner and along the centre line, and hey presto - instant darkness and insulation.

:thumb: