Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi

Does anyone know how close I could get to drop my wife off at Heathrow in the Motorhome ? Height barriers, security etc ?

Will be stopping the night before close by at a Britstop probably so choices would be either drop off at the airport or drop off at a railway station on direct line to Heathrow.

Cheers

Chris

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Dropped off a passenger there in the MH a couple of years ago with no problems.
Busses get in there OK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
You don't mention which terminal but on the Heathrow web site it states:

Terminal 4 Departures
  • Weight limit: 3.5 tonnes
  • Maximum height: 2 metres (6ft 6in)
  • Maximum width 2.1 metres (7ft)
Overheight and overweight vehicles should use Terminal 4 Business Parking for drop-off and pick-up (standard Short Stay rates apply up to six hours).

http://www.heathrow.com/transport-and-directions/driving-to-heathrow

On another page:
Picking up and dropping off
All our forecourts are drop-off only - just follow the signs for departures and use the outside lane (except Terminal 5, where you can use either lane). Please use our convenient Short Stay car parks for picking up travellers (charges apply).

Terminal 4 height restrictions
Please note that there is a 2.6-metre height restriction on the Terminal 4 forecourt.

http://www.heathrow.com/transport-and-directions/heathrow-parking

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I believe that Heathrow Airport is inside the Low Emmision Zone. Best check that your vehicle is compliant before venturing into the zone as there is a hefty fine for non compliant vehicles.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Unlikely....try and park nearby and tube/Uber taxi in.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Don't have a clue about London, but always look for a supermarket near where we want to stop. Looked at Google Earth for Hounslow West Tube station ( think about 2 stops on the tube from Heathrow) and there is a Morrisons on the opposite side of the road. Entrance is at 51.472688, -0.385842 & cant see any height barriers. Don't know how safe the area is but worth a consideration. Our Morrisons give us 2 hours free so perhaps time to park and jump on the tube and get back. Anyone local knowledge?
Untitled.jpg

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
LEZ as mentioned by Brisley check before going in , the whole of the airport is in the'LOW EMISSIONS ZONE' with all those big planes spewing out many tonnes of exhaust each, doesn't quite make sense as they are not even Euro 3.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks all, very helpful. You guys are great.

Just picked up the new vehicle and LEZ registration on its way. I need to know which terminal as a final check by the sound of it. Its not till first week in Feb so have some time.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I dropped off & picked up wife & daughter at terminal 3 drop off (sure it was ) when they went to Australia in August. No problems .

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
T5 has an over-hight car park which is below the main short stay car park. Walk across the service road and you can enter T5 or get the free train to other terminals.
You would have to check the height limit but I used the car park last weekend and I'm sure it would take your height as you get coaches in there.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
T5 has an over-hight car park which is below the main short stay car park. Walk across the service road and you can enter T5 or get the free train to other terminals.
You would have to check the height limit but I used the car park last weekend and I'm sure it would take your height as you get coaches in there.
Thanks, perfect.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Thanks, perfect.
Don't forget to check before you decide. If you do use it then head for T5 short stay then keep over to the left by the line of taxi's, if you miss it you will have to go around again. It is signed but you have to look out for them.

Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
I did the drop off to T2 3 weeks ago and there was no problem with height and no cost to drop off. Pick up is a different story though. For all pick ups you have to use the short stay car parks. If you are under 2 metres then you can park in any of the short stays for about £4 for up to 30 minutes. Over 2 metres and you have to use the "oversized height vehicle" car parks the cost of which is £11 for up to 2 hours! I certainly won't be there tomorrow night for anything near 2 hours as will wait for my son to say he is ready- I'll be using a pub stopover and am considering getting the bus :)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I did the drop off to T2 3 weeks ago and there was no problem with height and no cost to drop off. Pick up is a different story though. For all pick ups you have to use the short stay car parks. If you are under 2 metres then you can park in any of the short stays for about £4 for up to 30 minutes. Over 2 metres and you have to use the "oversized height vehicle" car parks the cost of which is £11 for up to 2 hours! I certainly won't be there tomorrow night for anything near 2 hours as will wait for my son to say he is ready- I'll be using a pub stopover and am considering getting the bus :)

Out of interest - why can't you pick him up at the drop off area?

Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
They have security there enforcing their "no pick ups allowed" sign unfortunately! I checked it out very thoroughly when I did the drop off - blooming nuisance as I wouldn't be someone who parked up and then looked for him but I guess not everyone would be like that. I wouldn't mind so much if it was the same pricing structure as under 2 metres but £11 seems a lot when I would be there for less than 5 minutes. Hey ho, back to the drawing board!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back