Heater pipe in area below cupboard (1 Viewer)

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Whilst I was digging around under the wardrobe in our Chausson Flash 03 I noticed a small pipe not connected to anything on one end. It's the same material as the heating duct work (we have an Eberspacher) but smaller and just goes into the space under the cupboard.

The only things that are around this area are the electronics, the EHU and the gas locker (obviously sealed).

After testing, it does blow warm air, anyone know the reason for this to be there?

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Yes, the air intake is direct into the heater via the intake installed behind the passenger seat. It seems as though it's possibly the last "outlet" of the duct work. I'm wondering if it's a fail safe in case someone shuts all the outlet vents.

Although, saying that, there is one outlet missing a flap and was told that they are always missing to stop them all being closed off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Maybe it is designed to heat the wardrobe like an airing cupboard.

I'm sure there is someone on here that has a similar van and will have the definitive answer for you.

Brian

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
I was thinking that it's maybe to provide ambient temperature for the gas locker, although it'll only warm the side walls from the outside.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I was thinking that it's maybe to provide ambient temperature for the gas locker, although it'll only warm the side walls from the outside.

I wouldn't have thought that to be the answer as it would make little difference to the gas although I suppose it may help butane to keep flowing in very cold conditions

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
That was my only thought as can't see what other reason, unless of course it's supposed to be connected somewhere........

If it turns out this is it's purpose I would be inclined to use propane gas which is not generally affected by the cold and feed the heat from this pipe into the van interior.

Do you think it is a manufacturer fit or could it be something a previous owner has installed?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Haven't a clue what its for,but if it was me I would put an extension on it and feed it back into the living quarters.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Do you have a auto dump valve on your water heater like the Truma has?

If so is it adjacent, to your heater, then it could be to keep the air warm and stop the dump valve kicking in during cold weather whilst you are using the van..

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Factory fit as we are the first "real" owner as we bought it ex-demo, just over a year old.

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
No, the pipe is heating duct work, it's nowhere near the either the heating unit or water heater, it's on the other side of the van.

I'll try and get some photos.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suspect it is a 'standard' piece of kit and the unused piece of pipe is fed into an outlet into the garage on another model. It is possible that when your van was built, it had the wrong 'kit' put in and they just left it in situ .... you could extend it to an outlet into the space beneath the lower bunk if you so wish?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Our Hymer has one of those open end pipes under the sink, it's to stop things freezing up under there. Maybe its there to keep your clobber dry, warm and cosy :Smile:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Our Chausson has a couple of vents without flaps to prevent them being closed.
Ours is a Webasto Dualtop setup. The open vents are to stop the ducting being totally shut off.

However, our vents do something useful! One is in the garage, the other is at the front of the lounge.

We do have ducting through lots of our cupboards, even under the loo! We have a warmer than usual cassette when emptying! I suppose it speeds up the decomposition! All of these ducts do terminate in vents to the interior however!

There is, however, a 35mm hose which terminates in the overcab to heat it. There is no valve on the end of it, just the end of the hose laying there in p-clips! It is in the space between the outer wall and the mattress, under the plastic shelving!

BTW, our wardrobe has a heating duct in it too!

Maybe Chausson like to heat their wardrobes?:whatthe:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back