Heater - Mystery Smell (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Did you buy any cheese in France? Years ago we came back home and didn't quite unload all the stuff we'd bought, comes back to haunt you.

Bill

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
hya how far is the waste water outlet from heater air inlet ?? ours are next to each other and we can sometimes draw foul smell in with heater blower on

The heaters outside air intake should only be for combustion air, it should recirculate the air inside the motorhome so there should be no way outside air can enter the vehicle through the heater.

D.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Look in your cupboards for a stray spud, the smell from a rotting spud is unbelievable might be one trapped under one of the heater ducting pipes.

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
Heater smells lije this

We recently had a "similiar" thing occur, our heater/boiler is in a cupboard, vented into the habitation area... when things were switched on there was a very odd "odour/smell"..everything checked out ok.. but we did find that between the top cover and heater/boiler had rubber/silicone spacers missing so that the plastic cover was tight against the boiler, so when it got hot the plastic started to melt and it smelt badly which we have now fixed .. just a thought maybe something similar in your case

Thanks Champers, we have this very problem with an acrid plastic/paint smell.
It's been in to have the heater checked, etc, but no resolution. It smells on heating and/or hot water. I will check this out, thanks again !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Mystery Solved

Found 3 little doggy treats in the air duct by the hab door. Took a while to heat them up but they really smell bad. Possibly been there since Malvern as they look like the ones the pet feed store were given out free.

Now the question is did I drop them and can't remember or did a little furry creature carry them in there? There is still no sign of mice but I might just get a trap anyway, to be on the safe side.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Used to be the bane of my working life

Get called for a gas escape

And it was an ex rodent

Had to go through all the procedures for an escape

Then assist in finding the rodent if possible

One fella showed me a broom cupbord with a jacket on a hook

It was his gardening jacket only thing that went in the cupboard

He Insisted it was a smell of gas I couldn't find a thing

Despite trying but it did smell

In the end the consumer accepted it wasn't gas

I knew it wasn't but probably rodent related

While I was filling in a report in the van

Fella came out of his house with smile as big as a Cheshire Cat

Found it he said you're right it was a dead mouse in the jacket pocket

Made my day as well

It's a horrible smell gets in your nose and you can't move it
Also gets in back of your mouth

When the mouse dries the smell seems to go :thumb:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Maybe, but the treats were not chewed and still in the original heart shape. I removed them and the smell has gone. Will still put a trap in just in case this is a new resident.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If it is a mouse you will not believe the damage they can do. Nesting in upholstery is not the only thing they do. They have a taste for the plastic covering of wiring and some other plastics, some like rubber gas pipes and will chew through that. Now the weather has gone colder they are all looking for somewhere warm and they don't need the door left open to get in. They will get in under the engine compartment or even fridge vents. The best deterrent I have found is one of the squeakers permanently plugged in.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If it is a mouse you will not believe the damage they can do. Nesting in upholstery is not the only thing they do. They have a taste for the plastic covering of wiring and some other plastics, some like rubber gas pipes and will chew through that. Now the weather has gone colder they are all looking for somewhere warm and they don't need the door left open to get in. They will get in under the engine compartment or even fridge vents. The best deterrent I have found is one of the squeakers permanently plugged in.

We have got one of those squeakers plugged in at the front and a battery one at the back.

Our van is stored under cover now with EHU.

Our mice in the old van didn't actually do much damage thankfully:thumb:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Sounds like a mouse has tried to make a food store in there. Several years ago our then motorhome was off the road for over 9 months for major repairs to the body. Once it was all done and I took it down the road the performance was absolutely gutless so I decided to service the motor. Imagine my surprise when I removed the air filter to find two good fistfuls of dry dog food in there. The mouse is probably not in the heater ducting but it is, or at least has been in the motorhome somewhere.

D.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Maybe, but the treats were not chewed and still in the original heart shape. I removed them and the smell has gone. Will still put a trap in just in case this is a new resident.

If you do catch a mouse, just bear in mind he will probably have brothers and sisters. We caught 6 in our van.

I think I read somewhere that if 2 days pass without the trap going off then its clear.

Good luck:thumb:

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Sounds like a mouse has tried to make a food store in there. Several years ago our then motorhome was off the road for over 9 months for major repairs to the body. Once it was all done and I took it down the road the performance was absolutely gutless so I decided to service the motor. Imagine my surprise when I removed the air filter to find two good fistfuls of dry dog food in there. The mouse is probably not in the heater ducting but it is, or at least has been in the motorhome somewhere.

D.

I think you are right Dave. I'm going to have a good clear out this weekend and empty the van of everything, clean throughout and set a trap. I don't always empty the food cupboards out if we are going away again in a couple of weeks, mind you it didn't go for the rice, flour or current dog treats that are in there. We have been organising our firewood for the house too, moving stored wood nearer the house, so could have disturbed many a cosy mouse and set them off looking for a new home.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
If you do catch a mouse, just bear in mind he will probably have brothers and sisters. We caught 6 in our van.

I think I read somewhere that if 2 days pass without the trap going off then its clear.

Good luck:thumb:

I have heard that peanut butter is a good bait for a mouse trap, someone also said chocolate, not sure I could bring my self to waste chocolate in such a way :Sad:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have heard that peanut butter is a good bait for a mouse trap, someone also said chocolate, not sure I could bring my self to waste chocolate in such a way :Sad:

We used chocolate (Dairy Milk) and it did the trick:thumb:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

In the garage at our previous home we used to store bird nuts in an a hessian sack :Doh: .... it was winter, so Joyce went to get her calf length fur lined boots only to find one was full to the brim with fresh nuts:whatthe:

Until then we didn't realise we had a micky problem but set traps and caught 7 or 8 of the little darlings.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Ew:Eeek: I hope not. No sign of any mice in the van and no smell when the heater is not on. If there is a dead one in the air vent pipes how the hell we are going to get at it or even find out where it is?

send in a slim cat:RollEyes:

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Good grief! I'm getting one of those squeaker things mentioned earlier. I certainly don't want that to happen in my van! Where had all that insulation come from?

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Good grief! I'm getting one of those squeaker things mentioned earlier. I certainly don't want that to happen in my van! Where had all that insulation come from?

lol dunno yet still stripping the bus but that what happens when the previous owner parks it up for 4 years and with all the cupboards full of food
they get everywhere
Broken Link Removed

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
What are these squeaker things? Would like to keep the little darlings at bay too!

rolyk

Free Member
Oct 20, 2007
South Glos
Funster No
MH
Warwick Duo
Exp
Since 2007
On a serious note - our Combi has had this slightly acrid metallic smell since new, only on water heating. I phoned Truma who said it's normal and nothing to worry about! Nearly five years later it's still smelling, the van hasn't gone up in smoke and it no longer worries me. However, when the smell gets bad the water is usually hot enough to turn off the heater.

I think it is caused by the the metallic aluminum liner to the duct (where it goes into the heater) getting very hot. But that's only my theory!

Roly

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back