Heater Ignition Works Intermittently (1 Viewer)

caltonmonument

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi folks. I have a recurring problem with my Truma heater. The igniter switch only works sometimes. Other times, it just doesn't tick over at all. I can't really say that there is a pattern to when it works and when it doesn't. Once the heater is lit, it works really well and heats up the van brilliantly. However, the uncertainty of not knowing whether I am going to get the heating going is a getting a bit tedious.

I had the ignitor checked but it hasn't made any difference.

I called a motorhome repair and they said it could be the electrode which powers the ignitor switch and wears out over time. They said that to replace the electrode would involve taking the fire out and that because my van is an import and has 50mb (?) pressure system, no one in this country is certificated to do this. Surely it can't be that complicated? :Sad:

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem or has any advice.

Thank you in advance.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
hi caltonmonument,

I have a 1987 Hymer 660S with a Truma SL5002 heater and had EXACTLY the same problem... Sometimes the fire started first go... other times nothing. My one has a battery igniter... putting new batteries in didn't help...

After using a mutli-meter on the wires I decided it was the actual switch (at the bottom of the long rod which operates the on/off and temperature settings) This switch has a gas valve, a thermocouple and an electric switch all in one.

I talked to a helpful man from Truma who gave me the part numbers and a number to call... they sent out the part return of post... The man also told me that on my van I could gain access to the burner and the switch and gas pipes from under the van without removing the heater at all...

Now this post becomes really unhelpful because the details of phone numbers etc are back in the UK (I will be back there on Friday)... I MIGHT be able to find them...

An even worse (as a post goes) I haven't actually fitted the part yet so I can't tell you if it worked!!!

What I can say is the Truma man was certain this was the cause of the problem... the electrical part of the switch/gas control wears over time and eventually fails after a period of working intermittently.

I am sure there are several Funster Traders who will be able to fit this if you don't do it yourself. (Corgi, health and safety etc etc all a bit before my time so I just get out the tool box and get stuck in!!!)

JJ

Mine is a 50 mbar too

OP
OP
caltonmonument

caltonmonument

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Thanks JJ - that is helpful. I did have the batteries replaced too, but made no difference. Your diagnosis sounds likely. It would wonderful if you could find the details, or perhaps we could see whether we have the same model, and you could maybe send me details of the part. In the meantime, i will ask my uncle to get the multimeter out and test the switch. I will also have a look through the documentation that came with the van. A series of highly organised previous owners means I have manuals for every appliance. I am heading off for a long weekend in the van, but hopefully we could speak next week.

Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I would personally take JJs advice. Ring truma.
I rang them over a different problem and they diagnosed over the phone and sent me the correct replacement by return of post and it worked perfect. They really know there stuff.:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi, I also would recommend that you Ring Truma :thumb:Excellent service and advise :thumb:Also ifr you are passing Notts / Derby they will book you in and do the job for a very cheap £35 per hour plus parts. These guys get straight to the problem :thumb: not taking a couple of hours to find and diagnose :thumb: and fix it promptly and cheaply
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Caltonmonument,

I don't know what year your Hymer is, but our 99 Hymer is also an import, but with a 30mbar system.
Truma Derby previously told me that the whole kitchen bar area would have to come out in order to gain access to the boiler, and it would be an all day job. I didn't engage their services.
Instead, a Truma engineer at the Dusseldorf Show gained access to the boiler, located the offending part, and all within 10 minutes. He was an ex Hymer engineer. :ROFLMAO:

Cheers,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back