Heat Beads

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by John Laidler, Oct 6, 2014.

1. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

OK, they may sound like a sex aid for cold winter evenings but the ones I bought are Australian BBQ briquettes. I bought them for our Cobb BBQ as a cheaper alternative to Cobb's own special fuel.

However, you would think a basic requirement of a BBQ charcoal is you can actually light them with something less than an oxy - acetylene torch.

They burn well when lit but what a performance getting them started.

Has anyone else any experience of these things? For info here is a link:

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/heat-beads-BBQ-briquettes-4kg.asp

• Like Like x 1
  2. simply

simply Read Only Funster

I use the same and have had absolutely no problem, I have even extinguished some with water and re-lit them the next day. I use cheap firelighters and put one white square into the base of the Cobb and drop a lit match in. I then put into place the wire basket containing 8 or 9 briquettes. The flames and smoke die down after only a few minutes and I then find I can cook for three hours or more without anymore ado.

• Like Like x 1
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Thanks for that. We used them this evening but with only 6 briquettes. The fire lighter burnt itself out and they still didn't light. So I put the little cage over the gas hob and gave them a good roasting for several minutes, even then it looked later as if only one really lit but it got the others going a little later.

I think the problem is you need plenty of briquettes, they don't work in small numbers.

It could also be we have a duff bag. I'll try the link I posted earlier for the next lot as I think they are worth persevering with. Once they get going they are excellent.

4. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

I use them in both my Webbers. I generally start them off in a chimney but have lit 8 to 10 briquettes with a couple of their firelighters when I use the Go Anywhere . They’re great for long slow cooks but I generally use normal lumpwood if I’m just grilling a couple of steaks. Once you have a lot of them alight, it can be hard to get the temperature to go down which might be an issue in a Cobb ? Check out Youtube for the “Minnion Method” or “Snake Method”

• Like Like x 2
  5. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I've used them on a Cobb and on normal BBQ. I must say that I was none too impressed either way quite frankly (I should add that I was not impressed with the Cobb so got rid of it straight away)

However............ I have used this recently and its fantastic!

https://www.weberbbq.co.uk/product/weber-portable-chimney-starter/

Just pile in the charcoal, light a couple of starters underneath, wait about 15 minutes....... bingo :D

I have also found it is the best way to start and add extra charcoal at any time after the BBQ is going :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Not wishing to hijack this thread completely, I just realised what you said...........

I have the Go Anywhere........ it really is the best BBQ I have ever owned. We use it with the van but I am so impressed with Weber that I have bought the top o the range balls out Weber for my son as a wedding present :D:D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

... the mind boggles as to what you get up to if you think that Heat Beads has a sexual connotation!!!! o_O

• Like Like x 2
  8. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Oops, I thought they sounded a bit 'funny' too :oops:o_O

• Like Like x 1
  9. cranky

cranky Funster

worryingly, so did I:whistle:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bartyfixedit

Bartyfixedit Funster

The ones you linked to are the exact ones that I get from Cobb themselves. I have used them for years and never had a problem.

I have an old biscuit tin that I stick the coals in as soon as I have finished cooking. Once the lid is on the coals go out pretty quick and are then ready to use next time. I put 6 or so new beads and then the snuffed ones on top.

If you are using the little white firelighters you need six or seven and then light them in the pit and sit the cage on top. I use the dome extension as a wind break. The coals are ready to cook in 20 to 30 minutes. Never let me down.

I am wondering if yours have been stored damp, or are a duff batch.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Daz n Tina

Daz n Tina Funster

maybe their safety ones

• Like Like x 1
  12. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

When I look back at all the barbecues I've bought over the years, I wish I'd bought a Webber first. I had the 57cm One Touch at home but my son's "borrowed" it for his new house, looks like I'll be shopping for a new one now !

• Like Like x 1
  13. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

I have used one for the last few seasons,agreed a 1st class way of starting the BBQ. I fill with briquettes,place it over a few wood off cuts, douse with white spirit, wait a couple of mins then light. Go and open a cool beer and in 20 mins all ready to go. Has the added advantage of measuring the correct volume of charcoal for a Weber unit.

• Like Like x 2
  14. dabhand

dabhand Funster Life Member

Ha, so you don't own any heat beads, your missing out! Don't tell @DevonBeekeeper

• Like Like x 1
  15. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Giving them another go tonight, two chicken legs. We prefer chicken thighs but only a few supermarkets seem to sell then in Spain.

Thanks for the tips, starting to get the hang of them now.

16. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

If you dare, Google "beads Ann Summers" but don't say I didn't warn you!

17. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Ohhh no, just did, wish I didn't:eek: I've lived a sheltered life:confused:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Clive

Clive Funster Life Member

I just use good old fashioned firelighters, never had a problem getting the head beads to go, couple of big chunks in the bottom, fully alight in 20 minutes normally.

19. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Err, is this another Anne Summers reference?:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  20. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Many thanks for restoring sanity to this thread or perhaps that should read decency! Jim was probably on the verge of moving us to the Belly Locker.

• Like Like x 1