Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Guys I'm in the middle of a exercise programs to get fit and reduce weight as most of the gym equipment are not accurate regarding calorie and heart rate it was suggested that I should get a heart rate monitor has anyone had any experience of them and what makes

Thanks

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Guys I'm in the middle of a exercise programs to get fit and reduce weight as most of the gym equipment are not accurate regarding calorie and heart rate it was suggested that I should get a heart rate monitor has anyone had any experience of them and what makes

Thanks
Get yourself a Polar Chest Strap with the wristwatch style monitor.
They're compatible with Life Fitness kit at the gym and probably other makes too.
The basic set is around £20 I think but then I have had mine for a number of years so they may be dearer now.
Good gear IMO.

Garmin also do some quality kit now too in that line.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gauntlet

Gauntlet

Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
They're compatible with Life Fitness kit at the gym and probably other makes too.
The basic set is around £20 I think but then I have had mine for a number of years so they may be dearer now.
Good gear IMO.

Thanks I herd good things about Polar I really want to check the calories burn I think a visit to my local Decathlon store is on as they stock the Polar brand

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Good gear IMO.

I have just wore one of the polar chest straps whilst using the chester step as part of my offshore medical.
At the end of the step sequence, which is basically to step on and off to a beat which gets faster every 2 minutes, they gave me the score.
For my age group above 40 is excellent and i scored 48.:Cool:

Must be fitter than i thought, :Eeek: mind you my knees feel totally knackered.:ROFLMAO:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I assume you have checked with your GP? You don't want to do a Douglas Adams or an Andrew Marr. Not that the GP can pick up everything but worth getting their opinion.

I've lost half a stone since the beginning of December on the 5:2 diet and without any special exercise. Hardly a record but the diet did go backwards over Christmas! :Blush:

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Another vote for Polar, I use the 300RC for running and cycling and seems pretty good. I did change the sensor for the bluetooth version which allows you to connect to the watch as usual but also to a smartphone so I use mapmyrun.com also.

OP
OP
Gauntlet

Gauntlet

Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I assume you have checked with your GP? You don't want to do a Douglas Adams or an Andrew Marr. Not that the GP can pick up everything but worth getting their opinion.

I've lost half a stone since the beginning of December on the 5:2 diet and without any special exercise. Hardly a record but the diet did go backwards over Christmas! :Blush:
Yes I have checked with the doc I'm on weight watchers diet with that and gym work I have lost 13lb and this is the start of week 4 I've ordered the polar FT 7m monitor

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I have an awesome gamin kit I use for my marathon training.. cost $120...

However I also have a $6 tesco one too. I have ran then in random over 30 miles on a training session. ..both gave identical readings.

olewilliam

Free Member
Jan 7, 2014
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie (7 years towing)
Fitness?

Polar HRM's are excellent. Are you sure you want to be fit? I mention this because there is a huge gulf between a healthy life style and fitness. Fit for what is a common question when this subject comes up. If you are really into a sport and want to optimise your performance a HRM is an essential training device.
If you are wanting to reduce weight and improve your lifestyle HRM's are of less value. For example many wannabe 'fit' people have a belief that punishing gym programs will do the trick. Not so.
An example is weight loss. Back to the HRM using the Karvonan scale (it will probably be included in the HRM package.) The best weight loss heart rate is at level 1. That equates to running very slowly!!!! Not fast enough so you cannot talk more or less normally with a training partner. Roughly ('cos for accuracy you need resting pulse rate and max pulse rates) for that would probably below 120 bpm. Comfort zone training say around 140 bpm. You do not lose fat by sweating it all off. Simply because the fluid must be replaced.
Healthy living is sensible eating in moderation, some moderate exercise on a regular basis and keeping hydrated. Good luck.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Plus 1 on the Polar's - I have the Polar HRM, cadence and speed ect on the bike and the Polar watch type with chest strap HRM.
Fantastic, reliable bits of kit,,,, programmable too.
:thumb:
Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Polar HRM's are excellent. Are you sure you want to be fit? I mention this because there is a huge gulf between a healthy life style and fitness. Fit for what is a common question when this subject comes up. If you are really into a sport and want to optimise your performance a HRM is an essential training device.
If you are wanting to reduce weight and improve your lifestyle HRM's are of less value. For example many wannabe 'fit' people have a belief that punishing gym programs will do the trick. Not so.
An example is weight loss. Back to the HRM using the Karvonan scale (it will probably be included in the HRM package.) The best weight loss heart rate is at level 1. That equates to running very slowly!!!! Not fast enough so you cannot talk more or less normally with a training partner. Roughly ('cos for accuracy you need resting pulse rate and max pulse rates) for that would probably below 120 bpm. Comfort zone training say around 140 bpm. You do not lose fat by sweating it all off. Simply because the fluid must be replaced.
Healthy living is sensible eating in moderation, some moderate exercise on a regular basis and keeping hydrated. Good luck.
You are correct in that "Less is More" when it comes to weight loss but HRMs are great for that too as they help keep you in that vital Fat Burn Zone of around 75% MHR rather than blasting off into Cardio Mode and above.

OP
OP
Gauntlet

Gauntlet

Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
You are correct in that "Less is More" when it comes to weight loss but HRMs are great for that too as they help keep you in that vital Fat Burn Zone of around 75% MHR rather than blasting off into Cardio Mode and above.

Yes the main reason is to lose weight and enter a healthy lifestyle and like you said the polar keeps you in the correct zone to loose weight or fitness also I'm right in assuming that it can be used when I take the bike out

Thanks

OP
OP
Gauntlet

Gauntlet

Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
theres bound to be an app for your phone....:ROFLMAO:

There is an app for the polar all you purchase is the chest transmitter and download a free app the only objection I have with this is having to look at your phone constantly to keep you in the zone I would prefer the watch

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Don't get hooked up with a hrm and burning zones...

There are too many facts to consider and it's no longer thought of the best weight loss method its old school. Can't answer fully as I'm away skiing. .I do know a little about this subject being an ultra runner who trains daily and does a lot of work with personal trainers....

The fact is any exercise will help with weight loss..
Including the burning of fat by the metabolic rate in which you work.... an example would be of a tempo workout that would leave you burning fat well in too the next day....

Before you can even consider your own personal heart rate you need to know what it actually is by carrying out a stress test.... this should really be done under guidance of your over the age of 40 or not exercised for some time. ..
If you would like a fuller explanation I will post when back with some useful links. .

If you can afford it book a couple of lessons with a pt to get you started

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp

There are too many facts to consider and it's no longer thought of the best weight loss method its old school. Can't answer fully as I'm away skiing. .I do know a little about this subject being an ultra runner who trains daily and does a lot of work with personal trainers....

Including the burning of fat by the metabolic rate in which you work.... an example would be of a tempo workout that would leave you burning fat well in too the next day....

Before you can even consider your own personal heart rate you need to know what it actually is by carrying out a stress test.... this should really be done under guidance of your over the age of 40 or not exercised for some time. ..
If you would like a fuller explanation I will post when back with some useful links. .

There you go then, up to the minute advice from someone who knows.
It's been several years since I was a PT myself and things (or at least theories) do change with time.
Good luck with your training.:thumb:

olewilliam

Free Member
Jan 7, 2014
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie (7 years towing)
Having fun

This is spot on advice. :thumb: To many people become fixated with gadgets. As a former coach and ironman I tried to get even elite level athletes back to basics. Discipline (needed at all levels) Routine, a plan and stick to it. If just wanting to reduce weight and feel 'better in yourself' even a regular slightly quicker walk than normal will work say 3/4 times a week. Targets. Well that's a mine field. However, if weight loss, think 1lb per week. Not any more. And remember to keep hydrated. How do you know that? A guide would be your urine. Clear to light straw colour Good. Dark yellow bad. 2lt per day is average. An athlete would require more depending on their work load. Calorie intake. Average (bad word, everyone is different) male normal (Ah!) around 2500 cals. Endurance athlete 5/6,000 per day.
A very interesting use of HRM's and training if your rest rate (first thing in the morning) increases by more than 3 or 4 beats for 3 or 4 days you may be coming up for an infection. i.e. reduce training. Forget the bragging about low pulse rates everyone is special and you have what you have. The fitter you get it will come down a bit. Oh! dear I did say it's a mine field and full of disposable information.
Remember to have fun and not take it to seriously unless you want to be in the top 5/6% of the population who are FIT!!! Happy days.:Smile:

Nov 30, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt autoroller 700
Exp
on and off 20 years
Heart rate

Haganap I'd be interested to see your comments re the use of heard rate monitors. I use one primarily for training in a kayak and depending on where we are in the season be that sprint or marathon we set sessions based on speed and endurance and other factors. We have just run a talk to cover heart rate and the use of and setting zones so would be good to see your approach from a long distance runner.

I use a garmin forerunner 310 as it's waterproof but can be set up to cover various disciplines. It's not cheap but since I have started using it have found it invaluable in the data that I now have on my computer. Rich

agussiregar

Banned
Feb 28, 2014
indonesia
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie

Thanks
sometimes product dont resistance with our sweats , this make the monitoring error...
Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back