Heart Failure and DVLA 70+ C1 retention medical

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by emjaiuk, Jul 25, 2014.

1. emjaiuk

emjaiuk Funster

Hi all

I'll be 70 in October, and suffer from Heart Falure, with slight artirial fiibrillation, all of which is being treated with medication, abd all reports are that they are pleaded with my heart condition. Has anyone had a medical for C! retention with a similar condition?

I'm concerned that if more information or tests are required by the DVLA, who requests/supplies the information/tests and is there any additional cost to me.

Any advice gratefully received

Malcolm

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I have no idea as to your precise question, however I do question the advisability of driving at all with a heart problem. At your age it is easy to forget to take medication and for problems to arise.

3. laneside

laneside Funster

This could be a load of rubbish but I have just gone through retaining mine albeit without a known heart condition. As far as I know your doctor has to fill in the D4 with all details and then you send that and your D2 off to Swansea where it goes through the admin. side and is then passed on to their medical team to evaluate. This process takes a minimum of four weeks so do not leave it too late if you want to set off for winter sun.

Now the bit I am not sure of is that I believe the DVLA can request further evidence or even request a treadmill test which I believe is at their expense but this I am sure will be a worse case senario.

By the way if you can send off your D2 and D4 forms two months before your birthday and the D46P form that they automatically send you a couple of months before your birthday is not required

Very good luck-----Alan

• Like Like x 1
  4. laneside

laneside Funster

Ah but Roger how do you know that you will not collapse at the wheel tomorrow it has caught out many others a lot younger than me and thee

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Af course that could happen Alan, but a pre-existing heart condition should ring some alarms. We all have to weigh up our health and ability with possible danger to oneself/our family/ and the general public. Having recently pulled a 91 year old driver over and suggesting he turn in his licence due to the fact he was weaving all over the road and came within an inch of two collisions within half a mile. The problem is fresh in my mind. He was not drunk or on medication and thought there was no problem. Someone has to say something. It will never make one popular but if it makes people think and prevents one accident then it's worth it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  6. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Last year I was checked for possible heart failure, blood pressure spot on 120/80 ECG fine.

December I had a heart attack, stent fitted within hours - artery in heart almost closed.

Two days in hospital and I felt better than before the attack.(y)

No problems since (touch wood)(y)

Drove to Spain and back in March (11 hours driving one day)(y)

7. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I understood the application could be sent to DVLA up to three months before your renewal date .

8. laneside

laneside Funster

Oooops sorry yes three months before, it is the D46P that arrives two months before the 70th birthday

9. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

That's a relief, having my eye test on 4th and medical the 8th Aug for my renewal 2nd November (y)

10. emjaiuk

emjaiuk Funster

Thankyou for your extremley helpful reply based on your detailed experience and knowledge

• Like Like x 3
  11. whingyraindrop

whingyraindrop Funster

Heart Failure: Driving may continue provided there are no symptoms that may distract the drivers attention. ECG or functional testing may be required / requested depending on the likely cause for the heart failure.

Atrial Fibrillation: Driving must cease if the arrhythmia has caused or is likely to cause incapacity. Driving may be permitted when the underlying cause has been identified and controlled for at least four weeks.

Taken from the DVLA guidance issued to medical practitioners

These guidelines apply to any age.

Statistically it appears that undetected, untreated or uncontrolled cardiac conditions are those most likely to cause sudden incapacity.

Lorraine x

• Like Like x 3
  12. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

It was a bit presumptive to assume both age and seriousness. I suffer from AF which is successfully treated and the consultant wrote an all clear. He also said no issues with driving as per the above DVLA advice

13. emjaiuk

emjaiuk Funster

Thanks very much for your post Lorraine. Unfortunatly undetected, untreated or uncontolled cardiac problems can occur at any age. BTW, I thought that arrhythmia needed to be controlled for 3 months, (Mine has been controlled for 3 years)

Malcolm

• Like Like x 2
  14. whingyraindrop

whingyraindrop Funster

Yep, sorry, three months Group 2 entitlement

Lorraine x

15. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

I had pins and needles in my arms last week--

The local Health center was no answer or engaged so i drove in-

"sorry sir ,no appointment made you cannot be seen"
    But, i --explained the problem, no, you will have to come back tomorrow.:cry:
    I asked " can i drop dead in here or outside ,where would you like me to fall "--" come back tomorrow sir":mad:
    Finally got in the next day and turned out to be over tired arm muscles and nerves/tendons.
    He did not even take my blood pressure as a test.o_O

That was a warning to me that when i do get a real warning sign i will just dial 999 to be safe not sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DuxDeluxe

No disrespect at all Joner8888, most of us would probably do the same, but that is precisely why A&E and the ambulance service are overloaded. Lack of facilities at the point where most people really need them. Please don't take the wrong way.....

• Like Like x 1
  17. DuxDeluxe

• Like Like x 1
  18. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

How arrogant. And probably ignorant of the facts. Suggesting that someone is not capable of remembering medication just because they are 70 is ridiculous. In fact many people with diagnosed and treated heart problems are far less at risk than those who just don't know that they may have a problem. Thankfully the dvla is more reasonable.

• Like Like x 4
  19. HARESBY

HARESBY Read Only Funster

Perhaps a little more reassurance,pal of mine over 60 not long since had tripple heart bypass.Followed all the procedures medical and DVLA . No problem.He is now back to work hgv driving(44Tnn). Just go to the doctors,have the medical,any problems(got to be serious to fail) its all on the forms. No sense of worrying without cause.

• Like Like x 2
  20. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

How did the op make this post if their heart has failed?

• Like Like x 1