Health Travel Insurance.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Carol, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Thinking ahead, when traveling abroad do you normally take out travel insurance, if so what kind and what kind of price to expect, and is it best to take out a full 12 months if intending to be abroad for a few months, just pondering.

2. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Hi Carol ,
    We have personal insurance to include abroad annually which includes skiing, golf etc
    The insurance for the m/h including abroad is with Caravanguard to gets us and the m/h back home included ... I believe you have to check that it covers the age of the m/h and Green flag via the bank

Cant recall what we pay sorry

• Like Like x 1
  3. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

The 12month multitrip is usually the best deal, we have the worldwide one and it's not very expensive though I can't remember how much.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

We normally take out a 12 month multitrip cost approx £75.00 just check the detail as some have limited number of days per trip. Our trips are usually up to 120 days so you need to shop around. Can't remember who we used last time as we did'nt do it this year because we did an overland m/bike trip to China so had a different type of insurance. Be carefull with the free travel insurance from banks and credit cards from experience it's not worth much:cry:

moneysupermarket or gocompare is a good place to start.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Just checked on the personal travel insurance

http://www.insurancebookers.co.uk/
    Platinum....Annual Multi Trip ..... Europe.... £73.72

Kath

• Like Like x 2
  7. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

We don't bother as when you read the small print you must declare any existing conditions. As I have high BP (treated) they could blame this for almost anything except broken bones (which would be covered anyway in the EU) Too handy a "getout" for my liking. :Angry:

• Like Like x 1
  8. stagman

stagman Deleted User

Remember to take your EHIC card , and keep it on you at all times .https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do:thumb:

9. MrJinks

MrJinks Read Only Funster

Annual policy usually the cheapest however most only cover 90 days max on any trip.

Also if you have any pre existing medical probs they will not normally be covered unless you declare them & pay extra up front.

We are away for upto 150 days and insure with InsureandGo. Budget policy to cover medical mostly. Costs £114 for both of us. Will not cover pre-existing probs so my wife's asthma would not be covered if she had any problem related to that. That means most breathing issues they wont cover!!!:Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I have the EHIC card,free travel insurance with Nationwide and medical insurance with ADAC as part of there breakdown cover. Belt and braces again.:BigGrin:. Will leave them all fighting as to who foots the bill:Cool:

• Like Like x 3
  11. ehuplad

ehuplad Read Only Funster

Just got long stay insurance with Holiday safe, Best price around 180days for 2 people £105 :thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

That's fine, but what about if you are injured/in an accident ... the cost of repatriation for you, especially if you had to have a special trip organised, would be horrendous ....

We currently take out single trip policies as/when we need them - we use the same company each time as it is the ONLY one that covers vet expenses and we have now had to use that on 2 occasions to get our money back when Romy badly broke her dew claw and Lily was very poorly after tick bites, it has a maximum of £300 and no excess for pets either! We use Primary insurance.

We do the quote via the Money Saving Expert website as you get a better price going

http://www.primaryinsurance.co.uk/single-trip-travel-insurance/

• Like Like x 1
  13. keith

keith Funster

It's OK for you lot your clearly a lot younger than we are.:cry:

We both are over 70 and both have high B P (under control with medication) & Jean has Diabetes type 2, so almost impossible to get cover that would pay out on anything other than an accident,

So are we better just relying on the EHIC card for basic cover. We also have ADAC cover which repatriates us if I as the driver is unable to drive home. What do other over 70's do?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I have been totally irresponsible on this all my life. I have never taken travel insurance or ehic card. Thanks for the link though I have just ordered my EHIC card this time. Can't hurt as it's free and took me less than a minute to complete online.

Still not bothering with travel insurance though...

15. littlehouse

littlehouse Funster

health insurance

be aware that if you are using ehic card it is only of use in public hospitals make sure the ambulance or taxi takes you to these and not to private clinic or hospital as you will be charged fot the service

16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

40 + years of European travel and never had travel insurance.

The EHIC card works fine.. used it many times in both Spain and France.. and if the worst happened I'd rather stay in a French hospital than be repatriated to an NHS one ..

but, wouldn't travel without full breakdown and recover insurance.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Just got a quote for the time we are away - 144 days in a single trip - two adults in 60's for £130.00 - not looked at terms & conditions yet though.

http://www.secure-insurance-web.com

Nigel and Pam

Just tried to see if this link works and they say they are experiencing problems, funny, just came off the website.??

• Like Like x 1
  18. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

19. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Thank you for all the replies, I have now got a quote via Martins money tips for £87, now have a better idea which way to go, in the past we have always had travel insurance but was wondering what is the general thought . Thanks for the reminder about the EHIC as well, just been on line to to that, had to watch though as some sites charge but the NHS is free.

20. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

That is what we do

That is what we do... our EHIC cards and a subscription to the German ADAC .. not only extra breakdown, but the medical cover.. ADAC even own a air Ambulance and 17 helicopters.. 17 million members and it is also valid in the UK .. a UK 0800 number for under £100.. you could not do better.

Check it out from past links on MHF... when you take it out you call Germany, but as soon as you ask for an English speaking operator you are talking to someone who understands you.. none of this India crap... it has a lot of benefits .. but it is the medical side that sells it, and you can cover a partner as well. So cheap breakdown and cheap medical cover.

Bob:thumb:

• Like Like x 1