Headlights conundrum (part 2) (1 Viewer)

debdabble

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
very new to us
Well Hi to everyone again. I posted a question about beam benders and my headlights about 6 weeks ago. Unfortunately we are no better off despite our best efforts.

We took our van to be weighed yesterday at the garage we have it serviced at (owner has had motorhomes over the years), as departure for France, Spain and Portugal is looming.

We took along the beam benders we had purchased as we have had no opportunity to try these since our last efforts and the verdict is, as seen by my own eyes using his headlight testing equipment, it is impossible to make any noticeable difference to the light beam because our van (Fiat Ducatto base) has Hymer halogen spotlights.

He tried every which way to adjust the beam and it won't work. Advice given was to go but do not drive in the dark (was never planning to anyway on roads I don't know).

To set them for Europe would involve a pig of a job to have the headlights reset, and then they would have to be reset for this country when we got back as we would be more likely to drive in the dark in this country ,and he could not pass it for it's MOT with the lights set for abroad.

Now as this van is 10 years old and has spent most of it's time in Spain we can only assume this is what the previous owners have done.

No pun intended, but can anyone throw any light on this or had a similar experience.

Thanks, Debbie

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Just stick em anywhere you are far more likely to get gassed in your bed at night than be pulled for wrong placement :ROFLMAO:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, not had a hymer, our eura mobil had switches on the headlights to adjust them for europe, but the older a class hymer you have 3 screws on the rear of the headlight, a bugger to do first time, but owners leave them so you can move them, and you just give them a turn and is not much when they go overseas. :thumb: Bob.

This : http://hymerinfo.com/index.php/8-technical-stuff/31-head-light-adjustment

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
if you have the beam bender stickers, put em on. at least if stopped you have done all normal actions to ensure compliance and if there was an accident and a lighting query by your insurance.

but i dont see anyone checking your lights alignment.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
If they are the hella type spot lights then all you do is undo three small philip headed screws on the rear of the lights and rotate about 30% to line up with the new holes,
This will set it up for continental touring, then when back home just reverse it,

Very simple to do on my Adria vision as the lamps swing out to get access to the back of lamps, I beleave hymers have limited access but are doable, or employ a young lad/lass with small hands for a couple of quid:winky:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
"... has Hymer halogen spotlights."

Do you mean headlights or spotlights? The stick on things are for headlights not spotlights.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Similar problem on my Rapido. Titchy little round headlamps that you cant stick the normal sticker thing on as they are bigger than the headlights. There may be some adjustment behind but access is non-existent.
I very rarely drive the MH at night anyway as I prefer to have found somewhere to stop before dark, and so I don't bother to do anything, just set them to their lowest on the dashboard 'loading' adjustment so they wont dazzle if I put them on in a tunnel.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Headlight conundrum

Hi, I've used off the shelf beam benders on our current van for the past two years and never thought to have anyone check whether they were effective - just followed the instructions. During that time we have driven down through France and Spain and all the way back up from Morocco, and more recently, through Belgium, Germany and Holland, in all sorts of weather and light conditions. I'd have thought if they were that bad, someone would have flashed or even pulled us.

So when we go to to Spain in January I'll do the same again.

And I think we have very similar, if not identical vans? Fiat based Hymer B544SL, 2006.:thumb:

OP
OP
D

debdabble

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
very new to us
"... has Hymer halogen spotlights."

Do you mean headlights or spotlights? The stick on things are for headlights not spotlights.

Sorry, I suppose what I mean is that the lights that would be of the normal type headlights on a Ducatto van are missing. The Hymer factory changes the bodywork and that includes fixing in those circular very bright lights some vehicles have, and I think of them as spotlights because of the look of them.

Debbie

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Similar problem on my Rapido. Titchy little round headlamps that you cant stick the normal sticker thing on as they are bigger than the headlights. There may be some adjustment behind but access is non-existent.
I very rarely drive the MH at night anyway as I prefer to have found somewhere to stop before dark, and so I don't bother to do anything, just set them to their lowest on the dashboard 'loading' adjustment so they wont dazzle if I put them on in a tunnel.

Try this,

headlight1_959.jpg

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
With a 2003 Hymer A-class (B klasse in their terminology) the situation is quite simple. I suggest you forget trying to loosen the three screws on each light and twist the setting between driving on the left or right - it's a pig to do and the screws are not all accessible as one on each is hidden by the levelling system.

Make sure the lamps are set to UK use (left side driving) and that the beams have been set up properly on a beam-setter. Then, when you go abroad, fix a Eurolite-type beam bender to each as shown in the attached picture. I know they affect the beam pattern and cut off the left-hand side of the dipped beam as I can see it on mine whenever I fit them.

Attachments

• Hymer HL converter.jpg
    Hymer HL converter.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 47

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Try doing the same as the Europeans do when entering the UK? "NOTHING!!"
they don't even know there is a difference:RollEyes: they never dip main beam until they see the whites of your eyes anyway :Eeek:they were the ones who changed from RH to LH ( I'm told it was Napoleon being left handed who didn't find it user friendly to draw his sword if an oncoming horseman turned out to be a scallywag) Shipping, Aviation and trains still use the good old BRITISH way.:restmycase:
When I come to the UK I drop my head lights with the dash board controller, and if I'm on a unlit country road I use the fog lights- as it seems the fashion over there lately; IL have to get a BOOM BOX and all round tinted windows next time I come over.:Cool:

OP
OP
D

debdabble

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
very new to us
Totally agree with Jean luc!

Well I'm sure we will get there safely taking our time as it's our first time abroad in the van, and not least because we have a Greyhound on board who needs to stretch his legs at regular intervals.
We are going to be travelling for10-12 weeks all being well. My partner is desperate to see and feel a bit of sun in Spain, although it doesn't look too good at the moment out there.

Who knows maybe we will meet you on the road somewhere.
We are looking forward to hearing all the tips and tricks of actually being on the road.

Debbie

OP
OP
D

debdabble

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
very new to us
With a 2003 Hymer A-class (B klasse in their terminology) the situation is quite simple. I suggest you forget trying to loosen the three screws on each light and twist the setting between driving on the left or right - it's a pig to do and the screws are not all accessible as one on each is hidden by the levelling system.

Make sure the lamps are set to UK use (left side driving) and that the beams have been set up properly on a beam-setter. Then, when you go abroad, fix a Eurolite-type beam bender to each as shown in the attached picture. I know they affect the beam pattern and cut off the left-hand side of the dipped beam as I can see it on mine whenever I fit them.

Thanks Phiilip,

I have seen myself that the beams are accurately set, and so we will fit the beam bender as you advise.

Debbie

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp

I have a Rapido as well and found the ones from Go Outdoors work really well, they are also the cheapest, bonus :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back