Headlight protectors (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2016
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XLB
Exp
8 years
I have just fitted some van comfort headlight protectors to a 2008 Fiat and am looking for some feedback from those of you with them fitted.
Fitting was pretty straightforward, but I am somewhat concerned that there is quite a large gap between the protector and the original headlight at the rear most part. They are a nice snug fit looking at them from the front, but from the side you can see quite a large air gap. Is this normal

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 78
May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
I fitted mine two years ago. Yes there is a gap at the rear, always assumed it was to allow airflow to prevent misting or. as dabhand says, to help provide the shock protection if it is hit by something. Haven't had anything hit mine yet so cannot vouch for the efficacy of the units but they are very easy to fix the headlight benders to.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have them fitted to our Boxer. Not sure if you have the same lights as us, but we have a much smaller gap all around the light.
Are both of yours the same and are they original Fiat parts? Aftermarket stuff might not fit as well.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The h/light lens could get very hot with the covers on so the gap could be to help keep them cooler and as has been said to give it a "crumple" zone.

OP
OP
RGCH999
Feb 5, 2016
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XLB
Exp
8 years
Not sure. There is a small gap at the front but as you can see from the photo it stands quite a way off from the side. Second photo shows it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 44

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
As previously questioned - are these genuine or aftermarket, pattern parts ?

OP
OP
RGCH999
Feb 5, 2016
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XLB
Exp
8 years
There are a number of small lugs around the perimeter of the plastic and they all fit snugly allowing an air gap of about 6mm. However the back edge lugs are about 9mm away so the air gap is virtually double. I would say the moulding is wrong. The whole point is for the lug to sit on the original lens to create the air gap.. Just wondered if this was a common theme or mine was a one off. Van comfort are sending me a replacement to check if it's any better.

OP
OP
RGCH999
Feb 5, 2016
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XLB
Exp
8 years
These are aftermarket imported from Australia. They should still be fit for purpose, but I know where your coming from

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
These are aftermarket imported from Australia. They should still be fit for purpose, but I know where your coming from

I'm sure they'll be fit for purpose & like you I'd find the aesthetics annoying too :)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I'm sure they'll be fit for purpose & like you I'd find the aesthetics annoying too :)
I have one of those aesthetic minds too, I really wish there was an operation for it:rolleyes: but then when you find something that is actually aesthetically pleasing
Oh that warm glow is so fulfilling is it not?:love::love::love::love:
G

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Australian? Well there you go. Their on upside down. (y):LOL:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Ours are from Australia but stamped Peugeot. The protector fits snugly all the way round the light and is held away from the glass by those little lugs.
The gap is a little wider at the back but all the lugs touch the lamp glass, it looks like the protector is moulded so there is more of a gap there, it's the same both sides, but a much smaller gap than your second picture is showing.

OP
OP
RGCH999
Feb 5, 2016
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XLB
Exp
8 years
Ours are from Australia but stamped Peugeot. The protector fits snugly all the way round the light and is held away from the glass by those little lugs.
The gap is a little wider at the back but all the lugs touch the lamp glass, it looks like the protector is moulded so there is more of a gap there, it's the same both sides, but a much smaller gap than your second picture is showing.
Yes I think that's how it should be. Mine was marked Peugot but they assure me it's the same for the fiat. Sending me a replacement so we'll see.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Had those on our last van they were very good never had a problem with em

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Not sure. There is a small gap at the front but as you can see from the photo it stands quite a way off from the side. Second photo shows it.
On seeing the photograph, no, the gap on mine is not this big.
Can't remember the make etc but I know I bought them on e-bay so they are probably not Peugeot/Fiat originals.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Depends on the cost of the protectors I guess
Plus they eventually go yellow and impede vision. Mine had them on when I bought it and they swiftly went in the bin.
I've never come across anyone who has suffered a damaged plastic headlight either barring in a collision.
Rendering "protectors" obsolete

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Plus they eventually go yellow and impede vision. Mine had them on when I bought it and they swiftly went in the bin.
I've never come across anyone who has suffered a damaged plastic headlight either barring in a collision

True - I've never had a headlamp damaged in over 36 years ( famous last words ) :)

Deleted User
If you tour in Europe most of the time it may be better to protect the headlamps rather than suffer the inconvenience of trying to source a new one whilst away.

Don't know how easy they are to damage but I have expensive experience of truck headlights cracking with stone chips, they were glass though.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I can already hear the argument about beam benders :LOL:
No need! just fit to the headlights and leave them on year on year. This will not affect the MOT unless you fitted them in the dark :LOL: with your eyes shut

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Perhaps someone will see an opportunity to make some that fit the Hymer almond shaped headlights!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back