Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have no headlights, (99 Fiat).main beam is ok. Fuses in the main glovebox fusebank check out OK. As both lights failed at the same time I'm assuming there is another fuse somewhere. Any ideas, Thanks

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Jim,

If you dont get any positive answers, give my auto electrician a ring during the day and pick his brains.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Jim, I would check for earthing first if I were you.
I am not sure about your model fiat but on mine there are two separate fuses one for the left left and one for the right.
For both to fail I would tend to look at something in common with both.

The things that both headlights have in common would be either earthing, the relay or the switch switch.

If you get your better half to switch the lights on and off and you stick your head under the dash and under the bonnet see if you can hear the relay clicking. If not it would probably be worth checking the switch first.

If that doesn't help I would get to the switch and ensure it is getting power, then find the relays and check that power is at the input and output of the switch side.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I would concur with Karl, Jim.

The relays are underneath the glove compartment, and the lower half of the dashboard needs to be removed to gain access. You should be able to hear the click of the relay, as you operate the headlamp switch. Is it side lights, dipped beam, main beam, or all lights that aren't working?

Good luck with it, :thumb:

Jock.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Jim this happened to us. All the fuses checked out OK.

We also had main beam but no headlights. The problem was a loose connection with the push in plug on the wiring(connector plug)

There is a push in plug behind the cowl on the indicator lever. Kevin took the cowl off and pushed the plug back together.

Hope this makes sense.

Sonja

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Jim,
At its last MOT (August) our dipped headlights didn't work on our 2006 Fiat (Ducato 2.8 JTD).

It transpired that there is a doo-hickey under the dashboard, behind the radio somewhere called an Ornament Switch Panel, which is some sort of computer control for the dipped headlights. The upshot was that this had failed and needed replacing. New unit - £150.68 + vat, plus hour and a half labour . :whatthe:

Trust Fiat to design such essential equipment as headlights so that a component failure requires a major repair job instead of a simple DIY fuse / lamp change. :Doh:

John
Merry Christmas to you, Sian and family. ::bigsmile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
They suffer with loose connections and earth problems, Jim.

Firstly, check your have power on both high and low range at the headlight. This will take the relay out of the equation as to supply power to the headlight, it is working.

If there is no power, then you need to look at the relay and work your way back from there.

Use a jumper wire as an earth from the earth wire to a sound earthing point and see if that brightens things up. If so, it will be an earth

Mail me if you want a Wiring diagram.

Cully71

Free Member
Jan 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Jim,
At its last MOT (August) our dipped headlights didn't work on our 2006 Fiat (Ducato 2.8 JTD).

It transpired that there is a doo-hickey under the dashboard, behind the radio somewhere called an Ornament Switch Panel, which is some sort of computer control for the dipped headlights. The upshot was that this had failed and needed replacing. New unit - £150.68 + vat, plus hour and a half labour . :whatthe:

Trust Fiat to design such essential equipment as headlights so that a component failure requires a major repair job instead of a simple DIY fuse / lamp change. :Doh:

John
Merry Christmas to you, Sian and family. ::bigsmile:
Sorry it's been a few years ago,but having the same problem, do you know exactly where/What the Ornament Switch Panel is? Thanks

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
This is one of those threads when annoyingly the OP doesn’t bother to come back on to tell us how they got on.

@Jim ?:whistle:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Think you need to look at the date the op posted lolol ....

A new thread may get more help

Kath x :dance2::dance2:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Think you need to look at the date the op posted lolol ....

A new thread may get more help

Kath x :dance2::dance2:
Actually, cully71 is doing what should be considered the norm.... Searching the forums for a similar problem then asking the question there.
Not many do though as it's far less time consuming to simply start a new thread asking a question which may or may not have previously been answered.

What you have to remember though, is Jim doesn't know how to use his forum as he didn't come back with a conclusion to his problem so nobody is any the wiser. ;)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Ornament Switch Panel brings up no results when googled.
Headlights don`t sound like ornaments, indicators maybe, if we were talking BMW drivers

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
30 years ago ago Ihad a similar problem on a Bedford TK horse box. The culprit? A piece of chaff in the switch on the steering column.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Ornament Switch Panel - does such a thing exist though I wonder ?

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This is one of those threads when annoyingly the OP doesn’t bother to come back on to tell us how they got on.

@Jim ?:whistle:

I'll be honest and say I can't remember the issue at all, let alone how it was resolved. :oops2: I've a vague recollection that @Sheriff fixed it for me, he did most of the work on my van at that time.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If it’s the ducato column switch it needs stripping down. I did a how to somewhere (n)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back