Headlight problem

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Jim, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I have no headlights, (99 Fiat).main beam is ok. Fuses in the main glovebox fusebank check out OK. As both lights failed at the same time I'm assuming there is another fuse somewhere. Any ideas, Thanks

2. f6c

f6c Funster

Sorry Jim not good on electrics:Wink:

3. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hi Jim,

If you dont get any positive answers, give my auto electrician a ring during the day and pick his brains.

Peter

4. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Jim, I would check for earthing first if I were you.
    I am not sure about your model fiat but on mine there are two separate fuses one for the left left and one for the right.
    For both to fail I would tend to look at something in common with both.

The things that both headlights have in common would be either earthing, the relay or the switch switch.

If you get your better half to switch the lights on and off and you stick your head under the dash and under the bonnet see if you can hear the relay clicking. If not it would probably be worth checking the switch first.

If that doesn't help I would get to the switch and ensure it is getting power, then find the relays and check that power is at the input and output of the switch side.

5. tofo

tofo Funster

Is there a relay hidden away somewhere

6. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

I would concur with Karl, Jim.

The relays are underneath the glove compartment, and the lower half of the dashboard needs to be removed to gain access. You should be able to hear the click of the relay, as you operate the headlamp switch. Is it side lights, dipped beam, main beam, or all lights that aren't working?

Good luck with it, :thumb:

Jock.

7. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

Jim this happened to us. All the fuses checked out OK.

We also had main beam but no headlights. The problem was a loose connection with the push in plug on the wiring(connector plug)

There is a push in plug behind the cowl on the indicator lever. Kevin took the cowl off and pushed the plug back together.

Hope this makes sense.

Sonja

8. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Jim,
    At its last MOT (August) our dipped headlights didn't work on our 2006 Fiat (Ducato 2.8 JTD).

It transpired that there is a doo-hickey under the dashboard, behind the radio somewhere called an Ornament Switch Panel, which is some sort of computer control for the dipped headlights. The upshot was that this had failed and needed replacing. New unit - £150.68 + vat, plus hour and a half labour . :Eek!:

Trust Fiat to design such essential equipment as headlights so that a component failure requires a major repair job instead of a simple DIY fuse / lamp change. :Doh:

John
    Merry Christmas to you, Sian and family. :BigGrin:

9. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

They suffer with loose connections and earth problems, Jim.

Firstly, check your have power on both high and low range at the headlight. This will take the relay out of the equation as to supply power to the headlight, it is working.

If there is no power, then you need to look at the relay and work your way back from there.

Use a jumper wire as an earth from the earth wire to a sound earthing point and see if that brightens things up. If so, it will be an earth

Mail me if you want a Wiring diagram.

10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Could be the dipper switch or wiring thereto.