Headlight deflectors?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Badknee, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Being on the road for up to a thousand miles a week with my job I have yet to see a single foreign vehicle with beam deflectors fitted, trucks, coaches, motor homes, cars. Not one with deflectors.

The question is do you bother fitting them when on the continent in your RHD vehicles?
    I have in the past but it winds me up when I don't see anyone coming over with them.

• Like Like x 3
  2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

they don't need them as they dip down.. not to the right or left as we do

to answer your question.. no, never fitted

3. busby

busby Funster

We have no police presence on our roads. Your argument will mean nothing to Spanish or French police..Better to be safe than sorry..bit of tape does the job....BUSBY:):)

• Like Like x 2
  4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

neither have i . hardly drive in the dark .

5. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Yes, we go over the water twice a year in Spring and late summer. So fit them in April and leave them on until we return from our second trip late September, when the van goes for its MOT in October. Then keep them off for the winter in the UK.

But agree, rarely see others with them fitted.

Mike

6. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I agree (y)

7. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I agree too, but when a Spanish Rozzer asks............:eek:

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

eu law says we dont have to make any alterations to a eu reg vehicle while visiting other countries . i dont drive at night so arent dazzling anyone . so no offence occurs .

• Like Like x 2
  9. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Hmm.... don't think El Rozzer would agree......

10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i,m quite happy to be arrested and took to court over there .
    i was arrested once for camping , but after i insisted the guardia at aguilas rang the interiour minister i was released . i carry a document that covers parking not camping . also other ones like the deflectors .
    i deliberately parked in a place so i could cause a fuss . its harder for the spanish m,home clubs to sometimes make an issue . i did on their behalf . it worked .

• Like Like x 2
  11. Badknee

Badknee Funster

No, it wasn't an argument Busby it was a question.

12. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Well, I can't argue because you did answer the OP's original question.......

It is a choice for each driver to make

13. Jackyboy61

Jackyboy61 Funster

Don't forget headlights must be on when it rains in France ,so deflectors are a necessity when driving in daylight also .

14. SMB

SMB Funster

Fitted mine 18 months ago, will finally remove them when 1st MOT is due in August next year. Will be buying some headlamp covers at that time anyway so they will be duly marked up for European travel (y)

15. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

My headlights are straight up and down so don't need deflectors. Rarely drive MH at night but had to a week ago coming back from France, and the headlights are pathetic. They are little round Hella ones with separate dip and main beam units which seem to be used on lots of Aclass motorhomes. Has anyone succeeded in (economically) improving them?

16. voyagerstan

voyagerstan Read Only Funster

never used em in twenty years of driving in eu . dont need em in daylight cos you would have dipped headlights on surely . :rolleyes:STAN

• Like Like x 1
  17. MickyP

MickyP Funster

An Interesting thread. but i do not see an answer to the question? My MH is Spanish reg and in the past on English reg MH have fitted some deflector or otherwise but....I have never seen or found one for a Spanish European MH going to UK. So how / what do European MH do to comply with Law. As I say i can not find anywhere a set of deflectors for going in to UK but they are readily available the other way round? Ferry's etc

18. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

Yes we do fit them. The beam deflectors on our van are part of the headlamp protector which we bought from Van comfort. Having lost a complete headlamp unit to a stone thrown up by a truck in Italy we always have the protectors on. The deflector area is premarked so can be put on and taken off (black nasty will do as it doesn't melt to the protector). http://www.vancomfort.co.uk/headlampdeflectorspage_000.htm
    Hope this is of some use knee.

19. busby

busby Funster

Your a braver man than me....you can spend years in a Spanish jail just on remand....i will make my point in uk and just behave when abroad....BUSBY:):):)

20. vwalan

vwalan Funster

someone has to make the point.
    i contacted the interiour minister after being given the 08/v-74 regs . his office sent me a copy . although he has now been changed there was so much fuss made in spain . big m,home convoys etc as protests . i was in one fron cadiz to gibralter a few years ago. the guardia use fear to frighten folk . there powers are waining they arent the force they were under franco.
    as it is i dont mis behave i obey the laws just go right up to the line . its usually authority that mis behave break laws etc .
    be it yellow lines ,signs . many times authority gets it wrong . there are barristers here and abroad that will go to court to protect the innocents that authority bully.
    unfortunately most folk run away and that encourages authority to carry on getting it wrong .