Headlight deflectors (long term)

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by activecampers, Jun 22, 2016.

1. activecampers

activecampers Read Only Funster

Hi
    When we go abroad, its usually for 1mth+
    Our last van, we had a set of Perspex headlight protectors that clipped on, and on here we fitted headlight deflectors, so that it was easy to clip on and off. I noted the deflectors were very stuck on and would never come off!
    On new van (NV200) I can't find any headlight protectors anywhere to repeat this trick.
    Also, I do not believe the headlights can be converted in situ - nothing in the manual anyway!
    So can anyone recommend alternative methods, or indeed a product that can be installed and easily removed on return without damaging the original headlights?
    Thanks

2. Abacist

Abacist Funster

I used to use black adhesive insulating tape on the headlamp glass before doing what you did to yours and have perspex protectors with stickers on. You could do this if you can identify the right area to mask off.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Just buy the stick on ones that aren't made for it and stick them on.

If the cops pull you for it ( big IF) plead ignorance

4. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Another one. Cant there be a sticky so people can go round and round in the same thread. Tape the datum line and be done with it. Clear glass then park nose first 10 feet or so away from a wall so you can see the beam rise and tape the part to reduce that. Im sure there will be you tube videos that could be used in the sticky. Put them on my car the first time i drove Europe and never bothered since.

Funny as i had to put tape on my bike headlamp. Guess what idiot did not check his cheap ebay lamp was for the UK :(

5. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

I assume you've tried EGR?

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. activecampers

Hi
    Not sure my question was clear enough as the answers above (thanks) don't comment on the primary point.
    I am happy I can mask off the right area or use a deflector.

BUT

I'm asking about leaving the masking/beam deflector on for 1-2 months - and then getting it off again! My experience is that if left on they melt/bond to the headlamp and never come off again when back in UK. So I don't want to stick anything to the headlight unit that isn't proven to be removable after months of use without damage.

(If I could locate a supplier of Perspex headlamp covers i'd get a set and stick masking/deflector on there, easy on, easy off)

7. activecampers

Yes, but under their other name which I didn't know till I searched EGR! They do loads, but no Nissan NV200

8. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

I buy the cheap stick on one's like they sell at Halfords. But from ebay at half the price !
    Stick on and leave em on.. Current ones are 4 years old. No issues with MOT, passed twice now.

Did same on previous van...

Ref Black tape, there were comments about it overheating the lamps so not recommended.

• Like Like x 1
  9. activecampers

Thanks but I do not want to leave them on when back in UK. I want ones I can remove without damaging the light. Regardless if it passes MOT (surprised if they are in the correct place for that to happen), if they adjust the beam and nearside illumination, then I'd prefer them off and get better nearside lighting when in UK as the van will be used extensively in UK.

10. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I agree with that.

Stupid continental laws should be dealt with in an appropriate way.

Comply and then ignore, or just ignore.

11. activecampers

Stupid laws? Really?
    You think having UK drivers blinding locals in France is fine, and Europeans doing the same to us is a stupid law? Hope you don't get blinded on a tight road and have an incident then.
    Each to their own.