Headlight beam deflectors.

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by jonandshell, Mar 17, 2014.

?

Have your headlights ever been checked by the Gendarme/Polizei?

Poll closed Apr 16, 2014.
  1. Yes, and we had none and were fined!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, we had none and were not fined!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, never stopped and we don't fit deflectors!

33 vote(s)
    35.9%
  4. No, never stopped but we fit deflectors for every trip!

57 vote(s)
    62.0%
  5. Yes, we were stopped, we had deflectors and were congratulated by the police!

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

I for one have NEVER seen a foreign vehicle with headlight beam deflectors on.

As a result, we don't bother fitting any when we hit the Continent!

Although we do carry some just in case!:Wink:

Now, has anyone ever been stopped and fined for not having beam deflectors on whilst abroad? Are you more likely to be gassed?:Eeek:

I feel its time for a survey!:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

not me personally but a friend ........................................ :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  3. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

I always fit beam deflectors because if I am gassed and the police inspect the MH all will be legal.:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 5
  4. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

I fit them every trip but to make sure I don't wear them out too quickly I avoid driving in the dark.:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 5
  5. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

I always drive on the left so dont need them

• Like Like x 2
  6. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Mmmmm, still nobody actually stopped!

Are headlamp deflectors the new sleeping gas?:Eeek:

7. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

Slightly 'off piste' but does anyone know how to remove the yuck that's left after removing the damn things,,,,,,, without cocking the Ducato headlamp cover up?:Angry:

Trikeman. :Wink:

8. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

No, that's why we don't stick 'em on in the first place!:BigGrin:

We never did get it off our old Boxer. Its probably still there!:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheDentons

TheDentons Funster

We have travelled to the continent for years mainly by motorcycle apply some black tape to your headlamps in a triangle we have been stopped and as long as the tape is intact we have had no issues

10. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

and theres another survey for you, for the majority of MHers who fit these devices, (do we trust surveys?!) how many then leave them on in the UK, or do they remove at the point of embarkation (not too sure that is a real word) from the continent?

I remember the days we all bought yellow paint for our headlights, then got to France and found most had white headlights!! Try getting that off

11. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Meths.

I just spare a bit from my evening pint for wiping the headlamps with.

• Like Like x 3
  12. wingman

wingman Funster

I bought a set of headlamp 'protectors' from a reputable e-bay retailer. They came with black adhesive material and discreet etchings on the lens to aid correct alignment to divert the headlamp beams. They were pricey (40 odd quid) but we'll worth it. You simply clip them on for each foreign trip, then unclip them once back in blighty and store them for next time. No cleaning off old adhesive or risking damage. No need to buy new stickers for each trip either.

Some headlamp lens are made from a sort of plastic and adhesive tape reacts badly with the lens surface, leaving nasty burned-in witness marks.

With these clip-ons, you get the value-added aspect of protection against stones damaging the headlamps too!

I didn't use their black tape, I bought 'Eurolite' adhesive deflectors (£3.50 ebay) and stuck those to the protectors. Job done!

Yes, a bit pricey and you'd probably get away without being stopped BUT I'd rather not be blamed by the gendarmerie for an accident where the other driver (clutching at straws) said he was 'blinded' by my vehicle.

13. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Fizzzzzzzz !!!

For a BIG night out, try mixing it with a teaspoon of bi-carb....makes a Bushman's Champagne !!:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  14. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

I have the "marked" protectors on 24/7 and carry black tape just in case I feel the need to drive at night, which is not very often, the tape comes of easy and squert of fairy liquid gets ride of the gluey residue

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

I am not being a goody-goody but I always fit them whenever I go to France as I believe its the law there. I rarely drive at night but have put the lights on in the rain and am happy that I am not dazzling oncoming drivers. I fit them at the ferry/tunnel terminal going out and remove them before boarding coming back.
    I believe I read somewhere that most foreign cars dont have their dipped lights angled to the verge but are pointed straight (I may be wrong on this) so they dont need to be corrected.

16. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Never fitted them in over 25 years driving abroad and never been stopped and we've used car motorbike and motorhome. Only time I've been stopped is on the motorbike in China where the police kept stopping me and tried to make me turn off the headlight which wouldn't turn off. But they really just wanted a photo of themselves with the bike. :Rofl1:

17. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

I'd put this in the same category as 'you must carry a full set of bulbs when abroad'. In France it's illegal to travel with defective bulbs. As is the case here. There is no law requiring you to carry bulbs with you - just a requirement to replace them if they blow. How many people here do you imagine carry a full set of bulbs at all times? Given the number of one-eyed monsters you see driving around, the irony is that some of them will dutifully buy a set of bulbs to travel to France, not realising that one of their headlights is already out...

18. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We have headlight protectors with the appropriate bits masked out, a breathalyser kit, spare bulbs, warning triangle, fluorescent vests, first aid kit, snow chains, a tub of Lidl rock salt (now..:BigGrin:) and a SatNav with danger zones instead of speed camera warnings
    Don't see the reason not to have them.

Allan :thumb:

19. fatbuddha

fatbuddha Read Only Funster

likewise bar the rock salt (although might think of that for next winter's skiing)

the reason you need headlight deflectors in Europe is that, for some reason, UK vehicle lights have an asymmetric beam which slant towards the left. when driving on the right in Europe, this left facing beam can dazzle oncoming drivers if you don't mask it out.

the reason you won't see headlight deflectors on Euro cars in the UK is that Euro light beams are symmetrical so the shine straight down the middle of the lane so won't dazzle UK drivers.

20. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

I seem to remember being told my Hymer has a screw on each headlight which you turn depending which side of the road your driving on so it correct for left or right but I've never looked for it. Would like to say I never drive in the dark when abroad but I do. Having said I don't fit beam benders there are two on my van which were on it when I bought it and I've never taken them off because of the mess they leave behind and it went through its mot two weeks ago with them on. :Blush: