Headlight Beam Deflectors for Continental Driving

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by BillyS, Sep 5, 2013.

1. BillyS

BillyS Funster

Hello all,
    When I used to travel to the Continent by car a few years ago, the car headlamps were made of glass, and had dedicated areas which were marked out, where to place the headlamp beam deflector strips. Nowadays, it seems, the headlamps are made of Plastic, and I can not see any specific area where the strips are supposed to be placed, especially on my 2010 Reg Peugeot Boxer Elddis M/H. I did read the instructions supplied with the Deflector strips, ( which were bought from Peugeot !!) but the instructions are very vague. Also it stated that you should switch your headlights on while doing this , and mark the area on a wall, or garage door. The trouble is, that I can only just get my M/H onto my Drive, with about a foot clearance from the garage door, so find this task almost impossible to complete. Any advice would be gratefully received. By the way, do any or all, do this task??? I know it states in all the Continental Driving Info that this should be done, but wonder how many people actually do this. I have meet people coming across over here from the Continent who have not bothered. What are your thoughts on this ? Many thanks. BillyS

2. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

One solution would be to buy headlamp protectors which come with the required beam deflectors for you to stick on once in place.
    We had to buy a set for our oldish Kia Sorento when we pulled a caravan and now we're about to take delivery of a Fiat Ducato based Swift we've had to do the same.

Got them here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-DUCA...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a77f90e1b

They already have the Peugeot logo sticker on the them, we've been given Fiat replacement stickers!
    If your motorhome is an X250 model then it should fit.
    Sound complicated and expensive but that's the best solution we found. Many on here would say not to bother, they may well be right but I was happier doing it this way. There is a youtube video of how to fix them as well.

3. smiffy502000

smiffy502000 Funster

hi billy, I like you cant get my head around where to stick the dam things,and if truth be known, not many of us do. I just line em up so they look the biz.. I doubt they would ever be tested if you were pulled up. so just slap em on and plead insanity if you get pulled :thumb::thumb::thumb:

4. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

I never use deflectors.

I lived in France for 10 years running a UK car and motorbike over there. Had many random stops over the years by Police and Gendarmerie, document checks etc, never once asked about my headlights which had no deflectors or masking.

I have just done almost 4000 miles round Europe in the van in the last few weeks, no deflectors, (same headlights as yours), not a problem, to be fair not much nightime driving.

Take a look on the ferry or the tunnel, all the continental trucks, cars etc coming into UK. Do you see any deflectors on them?

If you are concerned, you can always lower your headlights on the levelling switch on the dash......:thumb:

Be careful what you use on your plastic headlights, (adhesives etc), they are very easily damaged.

Headlight deflectors, another rip off, especially by ferry companies etc.......

Have FUN......:Cool:

:BigGrin:

Have FUN.........:thumb:

:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 3
  5. WillH

WillH Funster

I have headlamp protectors as above and they have an area marked that I cover with black tape, works fine. I see you were in the Merch, so was I, what company?

Rgds
    Bill

6. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

The deflectors from Halfords have pretty clear diagrams for where to attach them :thumb:
    Mike

7. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

I've damaged the plastic film over my lenses by using deflectors - possibly made worse by using rubber glue on one occasion as the deflectors were falling off and I needed to drive at night.

We had 3 weeks in France this summer before I realised that I had not applied any deflectors - I hadn't done much if any night driving and didn't for the rest of the trip so didn't put them on. They were available though if I was pulled over or decided to drive at night.

8. biggsy

biggsy Read Only Funster

Like others here, we've just completed 4000 miles around Scandinavia, where headlights are compulsory at all times. Did not use beam deflectors, but simply lowered the headlight beams. I had no instances of people flashing or otherwise demonstrating that I was blinding them. No police problems either. You will probably get away without them.

9. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I never use them.

The French police aren't interested.

My brother had a crash in France last month involving 3 cars.

There were police everywhere. No one looked at his headlights.

It's a con as has been said.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Toffs-G

Toffs-G Read Only Funster

When we had the Elnagh on a Boxer chassis we also bought healight protectors with the little markings on for where to put the deflectors lime others mentioned we were just happier doing so

Have fun:BigGrin:

11. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Perhaps on a car they are/maybe needed because you may drive during the hours of darkness, however in a MH 99% of the time you drive during the day arrived at your stop point around mid afternoon and park up.
    Waste of money and time on a MH.

• Like Like x 2
  12. BillyS

BillyS Funster

Headlamp Beam Deflectors

As I will be arriving at my first Destination in Germany, somewhere between 10-11 pm, driving through some villages, on small roads, I thought it might be wise to purchase some Headlamp Beam Deflectors, and have ordered some from Flea Bay. There is a chance that I may also do some night driving between different destinations. BillyS

13. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

I would have a few backups ready as arriving at that time of night they may well be full....

Enjoy