Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Hi all, just trying to find out the proceedure for adapting the headlamp beams to LHD for my newly aquired 2009 Fiat Ducato M/H please. Planning a trip abroad later this year.:Smile:

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
If its a Swift Bolero Coachbuilt then you can buy Eurolite Adaptors from Halfords and stick them on (details of where to stick them are inside the pack)

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Head light adapters

I got them off E. Bay cheaper than Halfords.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
On Amazon @ £2.79 inclusive of delivery.

Never used them , but they look to be a single use product . Possibly a decent grade of clear double sided sticky tape would allow multiple use.

=====

Our MH is the fiat ducato base (2008 ). Anyone know if the standard headlamp units on that base have the internal screw adjustment / lever adjustment fitting which allows for physical adjustment of the beam to LHD settings ? So doing away with the need for bits of plastic being stuck to the cover ? Handbook for the base doesn"t mention and I wouldnt be too sure what to look for under the bonnet.

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I don't take mine off? Still passed mot ok

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
These are dearer but do a far better job , and you can re-use Link Removed

Useful illustrated instructions for fitting headlight beam deflectors:

Link Removed

Worked a treat for me.

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
beam benders!?

I have been abraod a number of times with my land rover and have never fitted them. Never had any probs.

Safe travels

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
My advice is to use the covers as Stagman suggests.

The stick on deflectors are rubbish no matter where you buy them from.
When you have fitted them,the heat from your headlights and the glue
and perspex of your lens react, and no matter how you try you will end
up with your lamps marked when you remove them.
I now have an etched outline of the deflectors showing on my Ducato,
which can only have been caused by dust particles being attracted to the
glue on the edge of the deflectors,during driving.
replacement of your headlight will be far more expensive than buying the covers.
They take only minutes to fit, I learned by my mistake.:Doh:

Regards
Steve

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I have been abraod a number of times with my land rover and have never fitted them. Never had any probs.

Safe travels

You never see Johnny foreigner with his fitted when he visits Blighty!

We have a set, they are in the glovebox!:thumb:

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I have used the stick on adjusters on the m/homes and our car and never had a problem removing them - yet!

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
I have used the stick on adjusters on the m/homes and our car and never had a problem removing them - yet!

Bet youve got real glass headlights, unlike most of us who have polycarbonate lens.

Ducato,Peugot etc 2002 on all have Polycarbonate.

Polycarbonate lenses are easily damaged by chemical attack or abrasion, same material as used for habitation windows on most vans, and we all know how careful you have to be with those not to scratch them.

Also mine where on van for over 2 months during which time we covered around
5650miles.

regards
Steve

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
You might not have had any problems, but what about people coming towards you?

Okay, just drive around Dover for a while and count on your fingers the amount of foreign cars/vans/trucks that have beam deflectors fitted.

After a day, you'll still have a full complement of unused fingers.

I've never bothered in 40-odd years of travelling abroad in cars/motorhomes/motorcycles - day or night.

But don't let me stop you.

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
I use methylated spirits or deicer to remove the adhesive from beam deflectors on polycarbonate headlight lenses. It takes a while but does not damage the lense.

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
I use methylated spirits or deicer to remove the adhesive from beam deflectors on polycarbonate headlight lenses. It takes a while but does not damage the lense.

Check out the etched on teardrops on my headlights,same both sides
dont say you havent been warned.

Broken Link Removed

regards
Steve:Smile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I lived in France for over 10 years.

I had both a UK car (rhd) and UK motorbike with me over there, along with a French car and French scoot.

I used the UK car (bigger boot) in France more than the French one. I never ever used beam deflectors. I just used to put the lamps on the lowest setting on the electronic levelling on the dash.

I was stopped many many times by Gendarmes doing "routine" stops as they tend to do frequently in France. At no time ever did I have lense or beam deflectors fitted, and the Gendarmes never mentioned them or asked me about them once, in all those years.

When we go over in the M/H now I also do not bother to fit them, again if driving at night I just use the electronic headlight levellers on the lowest setting.
It's not as if you are driving a rally car at high speed in the dark in the forest.
You still have main beam available at any time should you want more light.

If you are concerned and you do want to do something about your dip beam, you could also just put some electrical tape over the "wedge" on the lens thereby blocking the part of the beam that flicks up on the UK nearside. If you are unsure where to put the tape just do it with your lights, on and park up close in front a wall. You will soon see from the light on the wall when you got the right area.

A lot cheaper and easier than "beam deflectors".

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I don't take mine off? Still passed mot ok

So you are happy to drive using headlamps that have had the light output permanently reduced making it more difficult to see the kerb. Rather strange

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have driven in the dark here and recently over the water. I get no flashing from oncoming traffic and have no problem seeing.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
On Amazon @ £2.79 inclusive of delivery.

Never used them , but they look to be a single use product . Possibly a decent grade of clear double sided sticky tape would allow multiple use.

=====

Our MH is the fiat ducato base (2008 ). Anyone know if the standard headlamp units on that base have the internal screw adjustment / lever adjustment fitting which allows for physical adjustment of the beam to LHD settings ? So doing away with the need for bits of plastic being stuck to the cover ? Handbook for the base doesn"t mention and I wouldnt be too sure what to look for under the bonnet.

You must be careful sticking anything to a headlamp with a plastic lens as some glues when hot with craze the glass, presumably the stick on adapters have a suitable adhesive.

My VW Transporter has a plastic headlamp cover with marks on it so that this type of converter can be placed accurately.

tim22es

Free Member
Aug 15, 2013
torquay
Funster No
MH
Hobby 700
Exp
I have clear lenses on my m/h, so no real clear indication of where they should be placed, so they got left in the cupboard!! Drove across France at night, it wasnt a problem....

Jan 30, 2011
west sussex
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
10 year
We Fitted the Australian type headlight protectors on our Fiat Ducato,which has positions marked for the stick on,or black tape converters , easer to position them now and take off, and the bonus of headlight protection, found putting converters on the existing plain glass headlights a pain, as you were never sure where to put them, just peel off and clean and wipe with a drop of meths and your back to correct uk position

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Mine Sat in the glove box of the mondeo for 2 years and are now Sat in the glove box of the campervan.. they are the benders that don't reduce the light output apparently just change the beam but I've no idea how to for them and always forget to work it out as I get off the ferry/train

Mine say they are reusable so I assume they won't mark the lens

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
You never see Johnny foreigner with his fitted when he visits Blighty!

We have a set, they are in the glovebox!:thumb:

When I asked the question in France, I was told that their headlights dip directly in front, not to one side as ours do. As a result they don't dazzle when used on the "other side".

Made sense to me.:france:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Buy yourself some of the protectors they are easy to fit and you can peel the black benders off and reuse time and again if they stop sticking use some black fablon cut outs,they also save your headlights from stone damage so well worth the cost.:xThumb: Just because foreigners don't use them here doesn't make it right for us not to.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Bought a set of the lens covers last year before we went to Portugal, driving across making progress in a strong crosswind we managed to lose the left hand one. So I now have a spare right hand one LOL.

Worst fifty quid I ever spent terrible if you drive in bad weather they get really cruddy inside you have to take them off to clean your lights.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back