Heading to Spain - Weather and Road concerns

Discussion in 'Spain' started by Dave and Ginny, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Two weeks today we should be on our way to Spain but I'm somewhat concerned by this current cold spell and the weather and road conditions in France and Spain.

We've only done the trip once before in 2013 and went by way of Calais, Rouen, Chartres, Chatearoux, Limoges, Toulouse, to Narbonne. That was in the first week of March but we had great weather all the way.

Ginny is worrying herself a bit and I just keep saying "It will be fine, piece of cake like the last time" :eek:

Should I perhaps be looking at taking a route to the west via Bayonne and then down via Zaragosa? And once on the road whats the best way to keep track of road a weather?

2. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Yep ... you should be OK !

Just give a shout 2 or 3 days before and I'll tell you what's up along your way!

Frankie(y)

And ... you can stop at my place ...TOULOUSE ! (next to it ... Balma I'm just along the ringroad! easy peasy!)

• Like Like x 6
  3. barsteward

barsteward Funster

A lot can happen in a couple of weeks, I wouldn't worry if I were you.
    This is my first time in Spain and I drove down during the storms at the end of December roads in France were being gritted and plows out as soon as the snow fell.
    I use the BBC weather app on my IPhone and check the weather at my next destination if it's not good I stay put or choose another destination(y)

• Like Like x 2
  4. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Dont panic, it can change a lot. After all it is weather..
    I would wait until you are nearer the time..
    McDonalds etc for free wifi while travelling and check weather as you go.. The Western route is my favoured route, see the resources section where there is a download of my route..
    The N10 down through France is a major road, it has to be some freak or odd weather to stop those trucks from rolling...

Subject to what my heart surgeon says we could be right behind you as there is a very slim chance of us going on the 24th. !!!!!!

• Like Like x 4
  5. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Thanks everyone, all your replies are nicely reassuring (y) It's through having to much time to worry and think too much :think:

We have not forgot Frankie you made us the same very kind offer, (not about the weather but stopping off), on our last trip in 2013. If we go past your way this time we will be sure to say 'hi'. :hi:

• Like Like x 1
  6. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi davidandginny

We are doing that trip now, beautiful two days down France keeping off tolls as much as possible, currently on the aire at Nersac just South of Angouleme been about 10 degrees outside but 26 inside with the sun on the screen and solar panels were making 10 amps earlier.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

That's so good to hear Martin and Jen, I was out doing stuff in the van here today and it was so warm with the sun on the screen. Enjoy the rest of your journey, we shall be following soon!

8. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Just planning our route leaving on 25th, hopefully we will all have good weather, we have two options, if weather not so great will drive further each day and arrive early. If the weather improves can have a leisurely 5 night drive down to Benicarlo :D safe travels Lin & Nige

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Nige and Lin, I'm not deciding which route to take (either right or left of the big mountains) until I get past Rouen and see what conditions look like, but as I should be a day ahead of you if you want to swap mobile numbers in a pm I can let you know if we encounter any problems.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Polar bear

Polar bear Funster

We are of to Benicarlo crossing to Calais on 24th or 25th, fingers crossed dependant on weather.

• Like Like x 2
  11. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Now in San Sebastián and needed sun screen today, bright sun all the way down and 15 degrees. Some snow on the tops of the mountains but quite high.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Yes that would be great thanks will PM you my number Lin

13. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  14. peter21

peter21 Read Only Funster

We're watching the temperatures on the med coast of Spain, had planned to go 'eastern' route thru France as you know but may change and travel western route as more direct for southern spain I think, then do Cataluña on the way north when its a bit warmer there. We leave next week (hopefully....windscreen has just developed a 4 inch crack so hoping they can fix that in time), will blog the journey south if I can organise myself. Will probably decide route on ferry over from Newhaven.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We're watching the weather for coming back! !! We are booked on the Santander ferry end of march so we were poodling back through portugal from the Algarve.
    The snow should have gone by then.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Thanks for that Peter, will keep an eye on your blog to see which way you decide to go! We're now going to the Benicarlo Rally on 2nd March and the route seems to be swings and round a bouts in terms of time and distance either going central or west. Good luck with the windscreen and safe journey!

Lets hope the snow has all gone and have a safe journey!

• Like Like x 1
  17. peter21

peter21 Read Only Funster

Hi David/Ginny
    Good trip so far and we're in the Auvergne now, left Newhaven yesterday. We'll probably go into Spain today. The weather is fine with just a little snow by the roadside over the last few miles, when we got in to the mountains of the Auvergne (highest pass about 1000 metres). Theres a bit about the route on the blog.

• Like Like x 2
  18. wanderer

wanderer Funster

Weather down here (Almeria) is now great and more good news our ferry for 22nd march has been cancelled and we are now rebooked for the 28th another 6 days BRILLIANT

• Like Like x 1
  19. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Just driven up from Vilanova Park to a lovely little ACSI site at Villafranca today called Bardenas Camping, 234 miles it's warmer up here than on the med coast, 22 deg C this afternoon only 11 when we left at 09.00hrs. Snow on high mountain tops only, horrendous wide scale flooding around Zaragoza for miles, almost to the motorway in places, my heart goes out to all those house owners etc.

So as others have said you should have no worries.

Flooding has been caused by the sudden snow melt coupled with heavy rain the English speaking lady in reception here tells me it's been the worst winter weather in over 150 years.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Re Bardenas Camping, its OK with clean modern toilet block and OK bar but a bit isolated. stopped their twice but it was extremely muddy and cold with high winds. and on one occasion terrible stench from adjacent fields being recently sprayed...but it is in farmland I guess. A reasonable overnight but nothing much around the area. David and Ginny must be there now...come on travel report! :)