HDR Imaging

Discussion in 'Photo Editing' started by MikeandCarolyn, Feb 19, 2012.

1. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

I've been having a 'play' today-I read about HDR Imaging (High Dynamic Range) and decided to have a go.
    The ideal is to choose a suitable subject (one which the eye can see but the camera cannot record all the detail,then shoot about 5 frames at different exposures and combine them using HDR software )
    However,it is possible to take a RAW file and put that into HRD software and let the software do the Tonal Mapping.
    Here's Giverny-1 which is the original RAW file edited in elements to give the best I could get-and then Giverny,which I put through the HRD software.

Mike.
    Sharpness has really suffered during uploading-sorry-Mike.

Attached Files:

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

bright day

[​IMG]

dull day

[​IMG]

:Doh::Wink:

3. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

In the early days of exploring Africa......they used to take colourful beads and trinkets to give to and impress the natives.
    HDR is a very similar thing ......... a bright and shiny new toy for photographers.

Not a fan

barry

4. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Unlike some people who - IMHO - overdo the HDR filter, I think you have done a very good job in that the end result is very subtle.

My choice when doing something similar is using the RAW file, otherwise you run the risk with multiple exposures of movement of clouds, people, water etc creating a rather jumbled final print.

Well done.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MikeandCarolyn

Would that be in the same way as digital photography or the horseless carriage were never going to catch on ?:Rofl1:

Mike.

• Like Like x 1
  6. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

In camera processing is alreading happeing in all cases.HDR is a way of combining the dynamic range of perhaps 3 shots or more.This was initially done with software like photomatix and needed several shots to be taken separately and then combined.Now quite a few cameras have this built in and it can be useful if used with great restraint.

Unfortunately like moths drawn to the light many people over do HDR. Sadly from all the examples posted on the net. most users showing little restraint in its application..........and thrilled with its trickery produce sickly
    sentimental images that are no substitute for solid good photography.The best examples I have seen do not look like the classic over processed HDR.
    Each to his own.

barry

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  7. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I have messed about with HDR and some of the results are ok, some output that I have seen from others is OTT at best, if done well can be good, but there must be a lot of restraint...

The second one I don't understand is Tilt-shift photography, my question is WHY?

8. MikeandCarolyn

There is,of course,another application of the same principle used in Astrophotography,where several long exposures,or subs,are made without moving the camera (other than the tripod head automatically tracking).These 'subs' are then combined and also 'dark frames', shot with cap on lens,are subtracted to remove 'hot pixels'.
    That's where I'm heading and HDR is a pleasant diversion along that route.Until I decide on
    (and save up for) a suitable telescope. :BigGrin:

Mike.

9. Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers Read Only Funster

Tilt-shift has it's place, but is generally an arty type of photography. It can be good to capture lines of architecture to correct buildings that would look out of perspective with a normal lens. Apart from that it can also be used to select a focus point to force the viewer's attention to a particular area. It's great for making a scene look minature, although this can be done afterwards.

I like the idea of the flexibility of it, but would I buy a tilt-shift lens? £££££££ - No! But I'll probably get a Lensbaby in the future which is a cost effective tilt lens for messing around with.