Hazard Warning Sign, Or Not ???

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by themogs, Aug 2, 2015.

1. themogs

themogs Funster

o_OWhen carrying bikes at the rear of the M/H, we use a hazard sign (the one with the chevron ),
    not a problem with that.
    Now we've bought a smallish trailer......uuuhm....:(do we fit a hazard sign to the back of the trailer, as well as the one to the bikes ??? Or do we leave the bike one off ??:cautious:
    What do we think funsters ?...is there any law covering this ?:rolleyes:
    Are there any laws covering this with our immigrant friendly:rolleyes: French and Spanish cousins ??
    Any advice would be appreciated, as we are slightly bemused .:):)
    Thank You(y)(y)
    Viv & Chris

2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

It is to mark the most rearward point of the vehicle so no longer applicable IMHO

• Like Like x 1
  3. Feltwell

Feltwell Funster

I would have thought just leave it off completely, but that is an opinion only!

In the UK you only need to make the overhanging load "clearly visible" if it projects by more than 1m from the back. The back of your vehicle now being the back of the trailer, so no projection.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...362006/A_brief_guide_to_overhanging_loads.pdf

I suspect that many boards being used in the UK aren't legally required as the bikes don't project 1m from the van. Not sure what the rules for the Continent are though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. busby

busby Funster

The more visible the rear of your van the safer,,,i put mine on even without my bikes..costs nothing if you all ready have one. BUSBY..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Feltwell

Feltwell Funster

A big white van with lights top & bottom, plus 1m strips of this stuff on each side of the back end:-

http://www.reflectivesupplies.co.uk...ity-tape/products/3m-983-red-conspicuity-tape

If they can't see me with that lot then they never will see me!

The 3M 983 tape I show above is very good indeed, it's what they have to have on the back of trucks now, intended to make them visible from 1000m away at night. I've got a couple of small strips of the white version on my mirror housings as well, makes them a lot more obvious to those coming towards me.

• Like Like x 1