Hawick

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by irnbru, Apr 10, 2016.

1. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Please if you are driving north to Scotland can you give this town an overnight stay and spend some £££. Its one of our favourite haunts and seems to be the only official town to welcome overnight mhers.

Car park has free dedicated overnight parking. Water tap, public toilets, lovely park to one side and town to the other side. Literally a 2 min walk. Its sad to see some shops going empty. :-(

Please let us mhers get behind this town. God knows we moan often when towns reject us so some positivity would be great here and could lead to other councils following their example.

• Like Like x 26
    • Informative Informative x 5
  2. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Would love to, all my visits to Scotland and have never been there, mind you this year we're hanging a left for Dumfries and Galloway so that I can call on @lorger at 01:30 in the am and see how he likes it. (only joking Lorraine)

I'll have to do it on the way out back down to @Jez and Lin's York-fest

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Yes I agree wholeheartedly, we stopped there last September and had a great afternoon and evening. A lovely walk round this old town with some lovely buildings, a few scoops in WS followed by a very nice Indian later on.
    There was a bit of noise from the chavs and boy racers but their mums had them home and in bed by 10.30pm.
    We sent both the council and the tourist office an email thanking them for catering for us M'homers and got a nice reply. The addresses can be found on various information boards dotted about. :)

• Like Like x 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. irnbru

Any chance you still have it?

5. namwaldog

namwaldog Funster

Couldn't agree more; a good facility that should be supported.
    We will be there later this year probably on our way to the C&CC THS at Dalkeith in August to visit the Edinburgh Fringe again for a few days.

• Like Like x 2
  6. vin0114

vin0114 Funster

Thanks @irnbru for the headsup, not been up there for a number of years now but will definitely visit there next time we go. My old bakery foreman came from there (Jock) John Grierson a lovely guy and I married his son's ex-girlfriend 51 years ago!!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. irnbru

We met our first unorganized meet with a well travelled funster who came all the way up from brighton. Nice to meet you @,,sounded like acha

• Like Like x 1
  8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Funnily enough I plan to use it on my way up to Falkirk, being as it is official, I have stopped at Jedburgh a few times, they tolerate it but technically do not endorse it

The boy racers were there as well, but must be a Scottish thing, home by 11 or else (y), they were loud a little close at times, but just trying to be clever, a quick walk past with Lola kept them away :), not sure if dogs teeth or my bulk had the impact :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. irnbru

They must have been in detention on Sat night , all away by 9.30 pm.. And last night saw 6 funsters dine at Brodies bar. Nice restaurant/food,, though staff was quite lackadaisical.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Here you go, enquiries@scotborders.gov.uk
    We thanked them for thinking of us and explained that we had been shopping and had an evening meal with drinks and had probably spent upwards of £50-60.00 that would have been spent out of town to get our Moho parked up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. lorger

lorger Funster

Well said Sandra, we plan on using it somertime this year. We have a couple of spots round Dumfries that is ideal for staying the night and although the council don't endorse them they also don't have an issue.

We also have one just out of town that has a donation box and all the funds go to the Parish council.

@Popeye I won't mind what time you call as I'll make sure I'm on night shift :)

• Like Like x 3
  12. irnbru

Please mention the name of the place. Hopefully folk can visit 2 inexpensive places on their journey north.

• Like Like x 1
  13. lorger

lorger Funster

The area in Dumfries is the Dock park about 2 mins walk from town centre and has a pub and Italian resturants in the park, no issues with considerate Motorhomes parking there.

The one with the honesty box is Glencaple where you park righ on the quay, it's a small village about 4 miles from Dumfries with pub/hotel, lovely cafe, paper shop and post office with public toilets open most of the day. You can catch a bus to Dumfries also.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. TUCANO

TUCANO Funster

I used Hawick last year and also spent some money in town on my way to a weekend wilding at Megget Reservoir, beautiful place (y)

• Like Like x 1
  15. irnbru

Sounds a good decent stopover. If we could just get behind these towns in numbers then surely its like voicing with our feet! LIttle by little we CAN make changes if we all make the effort ....like sending it receipts to councils.

• Like Like x 1
  16. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

And do pronounce it correctly. Hawick rhymes with oik! :) South of the border you may past Penrith - which is pronounced with no emphasis on the second syllable although some vulgar locals will call it "Peerith" - I used to be one of those! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. TUCANO

TUCANO Funster

HOYK (y)

• Like Like x 1
  18. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

wouldn't that make it Pen???

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. irnbru

So long as you get your pennn out I think all. venues visited will appreciate your genorisity :)