LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Please if you are driving north to Scotland can you give this town an overnight stay and spend some £££. Its one of our favourite haunts and seems to be the only official town to welcome overnight mhers.

Car park has free dedicated overnight parking. Water tap, public toilets, lovely park to one side and town to the other side. Literally a 2 min walk. Its sad to see some shops going empty. :-(

Please let us mhers get behind this town. God knows we moan often when towns reject us so some positivity would be great here and could lead to other councils following their example.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
can you give this town an overnight stay and spend some £££. Its one of our favourite haunts and seems to be the only official town to welcome overnight mhers.

Would love to, all my visits to Scotland and have never been there, mind you this year we're hanging a left for Dumfries and Galloway so that I can call on @lorger at 01:30 in the am and see how he likes it. (only joking Lorraine)

I'll have to do it on the way out back down to @Jez and Lin's York-fest

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Please if you are driving north to Scotland can you give this town an overnight stay and spend some £££. Its one of our favourite haunts and seems to be the only official town to welcome overnight mhers.

Car park has free dedicated overnight parking. Water tap, public toilets, lovely park to one side and town to the other side. Literally a 2 min walk. Its sad to see some shops going empty. :-(

Please let us mhers get behind this town. God knows we moan often when towns reject us so some positivity would be great here and could lead to other councils following their example.

Yes I agree wholeheartedly, we stopped there last September and had a great afternoon and evening. A lovely walk round this old town with some lovely buildings, a few scoops in WS followed by a very nice Indian later on.
There was a bit of noise from the chavs and boy racers but their mums had them home and in bed by 10.30pm.
We sent both the council and the tourist office an email thanking them for catering for us M'homers and got a nice reply. The addresses can be found on various information boards dotted about. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Couldn't agree more; a good facility that should be supported.
We will be there later this year probably on our way to the C&CC THS at Dalkeith in August to visit the Edinburgh Fringe again for a few days.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Thanks @irnbru for the headsup, not been up there for a number of years now but will definitely visit there next time we go. My old bakery foreman came from there (Jock) John Grierson a lovely guy and I married his son's ex-girlfriend 51 years ago!!!

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We met our first unorganized meet with a well travelled funster who came all the way up from brighton. Nice to meet you @,,sounded like acha

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Funnily enough I plan to use it on my way up to Falkirk, being as it is official, I have stopped at Jedburgh a few times, they tolerate it but technically do not endorse it

The boy racers were there as well, but must be a Scottish thing, home by 11 or else (y), they were loud a little close at times, but just trying to be clever, a quick walk past with Lola kept them away :), not sure if dogs teeth or my bulk had the impact :)

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Funnily enough I plan to use it on my way up to Falkirk, being as it is official, I have stopped at Jedburgh a few times, they tolerate it but technically do not endorse it

The boy racers were there as well, but must be a Scottish thing, home by 11 or else (y), they were loud a little close at times, but just trying to be clever, a quick walk past with Lola kept them away :), not sure if dogs teeth or my bulk had the impact :)
They must have been in detention on Sat night , all away by 9.30 pm.. And last night saw 6 funsters dine at Brodies bar. Nice restaurant/food,, though staff was quite lackadaisical.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Well said Sandra, we plan on using it somertime this year. We have a couple of spots round Dumfries that is ideal for staying the night and although the council don't endorse them they also don't have an issue.

We also have one just out of town that has a donation box and all the funds go to the Parish council.

@Popeye I won't mind what time you call as I'll make sure I'm on night shift :)

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Well said Sandra, we plan on using it somertime this year. We have a couple of spots round Dumfries that is ideal for staying the night and although the council don't endorse them they also don't have an issue.

We also have one just out of town that has a donation box and all the funds go to the Parish council.

@Popeye I won't mind what time you call as I'll make sure I'm on night shift :)
Please mention the name of the place. Hopefully folk can visit 2 inexpensive places on their journey north.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Please mention the name of the place. Hopefully folk can visit 2 inexpensive places on their journey north.

The area in Dumfries is the Dock park about 2 mins walk from town centre and has a pub and Italian resturants in the park, no issues with considerate Motorhomes parking there.

The one with the honesty box is Glencaple where you park righ on the quay, it's a small village about 4 miles from Dumfries with pub/hotel, lovely cafe, paper shop and post office with public toilets open most of the day. You can catch a bus to Dumfries also.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I used Hawick last year and also spent some money in town on my way to a weekend wilding at Megget Reservoir, beautiful place (y)

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The area in Dumfries is the Dock park about 2 mins walk from town centre and has a pub and Italian resturants in the park, no issues with considerate Motorhomes parking there.

The one with the honesty box is Glencaple where you park righ on the quay, it's a small village about 4 miles from Dumfries with pub/hotel, lovely cafe, paper shop and post office with public toilets open most of the day. You can catch a bus to Dumfries also.

Sounds a good decent stopover. If we could just get behind these towns in numbers then surely its like voicing with our feet! LIttle by little we CAN make changes if we all make the effort ....like sending it receipts to councils.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
And do pronounce it correctly. Hawick rhymes with oik! :) South of the border you may past Penrith - which is pronounced with no emphasis on the second syllable although some vulgar locals will call it "Peerith" - I used to be one of those! :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
And do pronounce it correctly. South of the border you may past Penrith - which is pronounced with no emphasis on the second syllable although some vulgar locals will call it "Peerith" - I used to be one of those! :)

wouldn't that make it Pen???

Reactions: DBK
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

QUOTE]

seconded, used both the parking and the Italian, both thoroughly recommended (y)

@Moodybrook even tracked us down when we stopped, made the mistake of posting it ;)

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Hi folks
For the Hawick car park you need to watch as there is supposed to be no parking on the Friday night due to the local market held there on Saturday.
Still a good facility to have though.
Charlie.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
wouldn't that make it Pen???
It's a silly bee I have in my bonnet, sad I know but I always cringe when they call it PenRITH on the TV, putting the emphasis on the second syllable. Neither syllable should be stressed although perhaps by now the BBC has brainwashed even those who live there to say it this way. :)

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
caravaning on and off 10 years
@,,sounded like acha[/QUOTE]
yeah @Archer

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi folks
For the Hawick car park you need to watch as there is supposed to be no parking on the Friday night due to the local market held there on Saturday.
Still a good facility to have though.
Charlie.
You can park no problem on a Fri night, you just need to move over the other side. The welcoming guides told us that a fewvyear ago and we have never had one problem.

Oct 2, 2012
Shoreham by sea
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi irnbru was nice to have meet you hope you had a nice week end did you meet up with the rest of the crew.
Gary.

jimcunliffe

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Bacup,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
21/2 years
Hi,
Is the parking in Hawick easy to find? We are looking to be there on Tuesday on our way back from Ireland to Wooler for the weekend then home to Rossendale next week.
Jim and Julie

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Yes its easy. If you drive along the one way street in town turn right at the bottom and head over the bridge or depending your direction ask someone where Iceland is.

The car park is called Common Haugh.

?

Deleted User
I got locked in a cash van in that car park. The immobilizer and attack mode kicked in with alarms ringing and the van shouting . Help, attacked, please call the police over and over. I was bursting point for a pee and could see the loo what was a killer. Had to pee in a bank cash bag. Luckily i could seal it shut. :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back