Having Gaslow system fitted.

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Hollyberry, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Looking at having a Gaslow system fitted and this one: http://www.gaslowdirect.com/epages/cyujrhdmmu67.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/cyujrhdmmu67/Categories/Cylinders

seems to tick all the boxes.
    Gives me enough gas, enables me to keep it topped up and will free up a small amount of space which will be useful.

If I buy it from Gaslow direct, can I get someone to fit it? (I did read some old threads that say it can be a DIY job but definitely NOT for me!!!)

Can anyone suggest either:
    Fitting cost
    Time to be allowed to fit it (so I can work out an hourly charge)
    or recommend someone who would fit it.

Many thanks.

2. JJ

JJ Funster

Might not be the cheapest or the lightest but my two systems have worked faultlessly for years now...

I could have easily fitted it myself but got CMR ( http://www.cmr-limited.com/gas.html ) to do it... it took less than an hour but I had the correct regulator...

Should you choose to use them please say hi to them from me...

I also reckon Ash or CLS could do the job quickly...

a link here to my blog where the job is being done...

http://wagonman2000.blogspot.co.uk/...-max=2009-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=30

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  4. sedge

sedge Funster

We have Gaslow. Yup - Mark (CLS) or Steve (Ash). Most likely other people in other areas; one would assume so.

Living where we do either of them live 'just up the road' and we also live virtually opposite a caravan dealers, so that was a third choice if we'd needed it. However - Gaslow are also 'just up the road' - so 'Man and his Black & Decker' aka Trophychap fetched it on a Tuesday, took the bottles back on Wednesday morning as the large bottles wouldn't fit through the gas locker door !! to swap for 2 x 6kgs and fitted it Weds afternoon.

I kept well out of the way; discretion is usually the best plan in these matters; but it really didn't take very long at all, couple of hours? So not like you'd have to pay anyone for 3 days labour or something.

Do take care to measure the aperture to compare to the bottle sizes before you commit - our locker itself is plenty big enough to accommodate two of the 13kg or whatever they are, but the diameter of them is wider than the equivalent normal butane/propane ones for some reason. :Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Detnor

Detnor Funster

Hi

I seem to recall you were going to Shrewsbury, Dave Newell is in Telford, not that far away, I'm sure he'd give a quote

http://www.davenewell.co.uk/

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Thank you, everyone.

Hadn't thought of the large bottle not fitting in the door :Doh: so thanks, Jenny, will be sure to check.

7. sedge

sedge Funster

:Rofl1: neither did we ......................

8. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Hmmm !

Dave has a selection of very large hammers should the size be of an issue !!:Rofl1::Rofl1:

9. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Not sure your comment is helpful but it is funny Steve:Wink:

We're off to Goodwood tomorrow evening and won't be back in work till Tuesday next week.

D.

• Like Like x 1
  10. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I've just bought a single 11kg Gaslow bottle and fittings, and as long as I didn't make a hash of drilling the side wall of the gas compartment to fit the filler assembly, and I could place the bottle just inside the compartment doorway I could probably do it myself.

However, to fit the bottle into the corner of a cramped two cylinder-sized compartment the whole regulator assembly will need removing and refitting to move the bottle into place. I'd rather have a gas-qualified person see to it - plus he'll do a better job of installing the filler assembly than I would. I doubt if it would be much more than an hour's work.

Don't underestimate the amount of pipe you'll need - better to have too much than for it to be stretching or under tension. I go for the stainless steel pipes every time.

11. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

gaslow

i had the alugas fitted as it is half the weight of gaslow, but i had to have my regulator centralised in the locker so that i could fit 2 eleven kg bottles. i think that some ferries do not allow the 13 kg

12. SaschandGin

SaschandGin Read Only Funster

I was just looking at Gaslow products yesterday and am planning on getting something like this fitted when we buy our first MH next week. Please let me know how it goes as I could do with the feedback

Thanks and good luck

13. tony_g

tony_g Funster

I have a twin 11kg bottle Gaslow installation in my current van but am in the process of changing to another where I can probably only fit 2x6kg. I will keep all the pipes and filler assembly but is anyone interested in half price bottles 1 and 2 only 12 months old?
    :Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

14. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

11kg Alugas are slightly less in diameter than Calor.