Having a renewal Insurance problem (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
When mum bought the motorhome it was registered in her name but at my address as that is where it is kept.
Last year it came to light that she doesn't have her C1 to drive the vehicle so has gifted it to me :D2

I don't want to change the vehicle log book as that adds another change of keeper for when I go to sell it.

I am sure I explained this to Comfort last year and it was ok but now on renewal it appears not to be ok.

Now technically speaking Comfort have never asked for proof of C1 entitlement so really I could have had mum insure it in her name with me a named driver. She would never have a claim made in her name as she would never be driving it but being honest I explained the above.

Honesty is the best policy. ..hmm doesn't appear like that to me.

Now I need to start ringing round other companies.

Anyone have any similar experiences ?

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Just found this:-
The policy holder is the main driver of the vehicle and is the person who will be using the car more often. ... The registered keeper is the person whose name appears on Section 5 of the Registration Certificate of the vehicle(also called the log book, V5C). ...

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I know Richard but Comfort are having none of it. I'm waiting on a manager returning my call.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
From memory, Sandra.
You could have mum as the registered keeper and yourself as the main driver.
So it's insured in your name but "owned" by mum. Or something like that!

Oooops sorry, crossed with previous!:(

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
From memory, Sandra.
You could have mum as the registered keeper and yourself as the main driver.
So it's insured in your name but "owned" by mum. Or something like that!

Oooops sorry, crossed with previous!:(
This is the way most company policies run isn't it? My works van had me as the main driver but any company employee was allowed to drive it with permission.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Got it the wrong way round!:doh:
You should be the registered keeper and main driver but mum can be the physical owner.
Sorry.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I have had a similar issue before as the wife's car was in my name but as the main driver she was the policy holder.
The nearest I got to the explanation was that in the event of a total loss they would want to pay the keeper as in their view it was the owner.
The DVLA or whatever name they have this week says that the keeper is not neseserraly the owner so you cannot win.
I ended up being the policy holder but had it in writing that the wife was the main driver.

BTW as my old mate told me years ago
The ONLY thing that is guaranteed in an insurance policy is an argument in the event of a claim.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
The nearest I got to the explanation was that in the event of a total loss they would want to pay the keeper as in their view it was the owner..

Try telling the High Court Enforcement Officers that ! anyone who watches Call the Sherrifs or Can't pay we'll take it away will know that the registered keeper is not necesserily the owner!

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Try telling the High Court Enforcement Officers that ! anyone who watches Call the Sherrifs or Can't pay we'll take it away will know that the registered keeper is not necesserily the owner!
Did you not notice the words 'in their view'?
Personally I think the insurance industry as a whole is not worth a light hence why I only insure the house and anything else that the law says I have to.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The registered keeper doesn't have to be the owner...
BUT The registered keeper'' should'' be the person who is actually using/keeping the vehicle... and by infrence the person you would expect to be insured for the vehicle..
Doesn't actually say HAS to be so I'm not clear on that..
Andy

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
According to the DVLA blurby wotsit you should be the registered keeper too - the main person who uses it and has responsibility for it. That might solve the issue if you just change it with the DVLA.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The facts as I see them are:-
There has been a change of ownership, main driver, policyholder and you want to deceive the prospective purchaser of your motorhome in due course by not changing the registered keeper!
If it was me I'd change the registered keeper and explain it to any buyer as I've done when my wife and I have changed cars.
The registered keeper is where they go to inform relatives about accidents etc or perhaps to issue speeding tickets etc. Not really fair if this is in Mum's name either even if at your address when she's given it to you.
If honesty is the best policy it seems a bit rich in these circumstances.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The facts as I see them are:-
There has been a change of ownership, main driver, policyholder and you want to deceive the prospective purchaser of your motorhome in due course by not changing the registered keeper!
If it was me I'd change the registered keeper and explain it to any buyer as I've done when my wife and I have changed cars.
The registered keeper is where they go to inform relatives about accidents etc or perhaps to issue speeding tickets etc. Not really fair if this is in Mum's name either even if at your address when she's given it to you.
If honesty is the best policy it seems a bit rich in these circumstances.

You sound like Mr goodie 2 shoes.

Not a big deal if a speeding ticket of whatever comes through.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You used to be able to do it but insurance companies no longer do it for privately owned vehicles. Son in law had same problem when a friend let him have his van for a year, he ended up registering it in his name then re- registering back to original owner when he finished with it.

I don't see the problem or registering it in your name it won't effect resale value if that's what you are worrying about, or is there another reason?

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
there are millions of leased cars on the road all insured in the name of the driver but not owned by them

The lease cars I've had did though have the correct registered keeper (ie me) on their log book. the V5 said Lease company c/o me at my address

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
In the bigger picture, is another registered keeper on the log book going to make that much more significant? It will also say the previous keeper and that'll be your mum.
Once it's gone past new and say one previous, I personally wouldn't beat down the price because there'd be 4 owners and not 3.

Deleted User
Another way to look at irrespective, what who says to whom and what the DVLA and Insurance companies want is; and this really is about making that once in a life time claim. Your next door neighbour whose very rich has an engagement ring valued at ÂŁ50,000. You say I'll insure that and maybe she will lose it or there will be a burglary, then I make a claim.
I don't think so, it is against the law to insure someone else's properrty, including their life.
Mum is the owner, you insure it, as what, not the registered keeper, but then make a claim. mmm. The value of the property and the cost of the insurance, do you really want to test the water when the time comes. Hassle, grief, phone calls, writing, written , claim counter claim.
Your choice, for me no brainer, straight is straight, do it proper and sleep at night.
Ian
p.s. Good luck, no pun intended

Deleted User
Before I get a flood of what if's. Leasing and hiring and driving the firms etc have huge contracts and get me out of jail card clauses, sign 3 times for this and that, just done it at Malaga Airport yesterday, wouldn't accept the 3rd party year policy done on line. ' We don't accept that, you haven't insured with us so we are taking 900 euro in case you scratch the bumper".
Insurance is the minefield that is only just smaller than buying a house.
Rant over, settling down for a Rum and Coke as in RA didn't get to fit the C in avatar.:rolleyes:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Of the three motorhome I have sold or part exchanged through a dealer none have asked how many previous owners. Only mileage.
such details are a matter of public record along with servicing history. all available with a few seconds on a computer whilst calculating the price they offer you

Deleted User
Before I get a flood of what if's. Leasing and hiring and driving the firms etc have huge contracts and get me out of jail card clauses, sign 3 times for this and that, just done it at Malaga Airport yesterday, wouldn't accept the 3rd party year policy done on line. ' We don't accept that, you haven't insured with us so we are taking 900 euro in case you scratch the bumper".
Insurance is the minefield that is only just smaller than buying a house.
Rant over, settling down for a Rum and Coke as in RA didn't get to fit the C in avatar.:rolleyes:

They always do, if you have a bump then it is up to you to claim off the annual excess insurance policy.

The only way that they do not hold a substantial amount is if you pay through the nose for the hire companies own excess waver, seems to be standard practice.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
such details are a matter of public record along with servicing history. all available with a few seconds on a computer whilst calculating the price they offer you
Where would you find the public record of servicing history, other than the service records I hold?
My dealer gave the prices without going to any computer to check previous history

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The MOT is a matter of public record but other than that I doubt its "public". If you have a Merc and always had it serviced by Merc then a Merc dealer will be able to see it and likewise Fiat and other major manufacturers for their mark of chassis & cab only.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The MOT is a matter of public record but other than that I doubt its "public". If you have a Merc and always had it serviced by Merc then a Merc dealer will be able to see it and likewise Fiat and other major manufacturers for their mark of chassis & cab only.
That's the big IF though. For many years you didn't have to use the main dealer for servicing etc. I've never had my Seat or SWMBO'S Merc at main dealer so that wouldn't be there per se.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Did you get it sorted Sandra? @irnbru

I think I would get the V5 altered, keep a copy of the previous one and also get your Mum to sign a statement that she had gifted Vanessa to you and why. That way you are in the clear and have the evidence to back up "previous owners" if you ever come to sell.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back