Have your say: Lower Thames Crossing Route Consultation 2016

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GJH, Feb 15, 2016.

1. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I've just received the following e-mail with the above heading:
    Presumably it will go all Dart Charge Account Holders but I'm aware from previous threads that several Funsters use the crossing but have no accounts. Just posting this in case anyone who doesn't receive it wants to comment.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Used it regularly when I had Deliveries at Blue-water and Lakeside. Have never used it since, due to the fact that we have family Nr Guildford. So we visit, and then head for the Channel ports M25 South. (or straight down the M3 to Portsmouth). I would guess though that ANY improvement to the congestion we used to experience, especially Northbound, "Rush Hour" (why the hell do they call it "Rush"? It`s mostly a slow crawl!) has got to be an improvement. But like the HST is it REALLY necessary or just some "Ministerial" dream and an excuse to get on another "Gravy Train?". For Camergoons Fat cat buddies?.

Pete

• Like Like x 1
  3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

My goodness, it will make the route to Bruges so quick we can do it for a day trip.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

Don't hold your breath, how many years or decades before anyone starts to dig a hole and start construction.
    The speed at which we 'do' infrastructure in this country is a disgrace.
    At least it means that nonsense such as HST 2,3rd Heathrow runway and Hinkley Point will never be built.

• Like Like x 1
  5. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Yes it is . even with barriers gone now,going northbound you usually are stopped again at the tunnels .The queuing is about a mile less though without barriers. lol
    The route they are proposing ,out of 3 identified, is miles away to the east & involves complete new connecting motorways to the M20/A2. 2027 appears to be possible date .

6. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi Gus.
    2027..? I could be using it,and in a converted PVC... So,if i am spared i may be carted through in a ...."Community Bus" LOL
    Tea Bag aka O'er 'till

• Like Like x 2
  7. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Yeh!, Well, I can see the benefit to some extent. But I looked at it this way. HST.is going to "cut" 20 min from London to Birmingham?. 20 min, off a journey of What? just about 2 hours?. At a cost of? Billion?. I am afraid I cannot see any logic in that?. Also unless I am mistaken the new terminus will be a 20 min Taxi Ride from central Birmingham?. In which case the overall saving is? ZERO. which in my book is money WASTED.

At which point the Cynic in me, would believe that the "Vested Interests" or Government Buddies, are the intended recipients of our Billion in Taxes?.

So when I look at an expensive crossing of the Thames. I wonder if the Cost benefit is anything like what the "prospectus" would have us believe

Pete

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I agree with you, however it is not the speed that is the important thing it is capacity. With the trains moving quicker you can get more carriages going through. The current system is apparently at or above capacity at rush hour.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Yes but surely, the better solution to that would be to reduce the passenger numbers at peak time?, spread the load across the day?. (OVER) FULL "Transport" spikes are a very inefficient use of ANY transport System?

More home working?. More flexibility of hours?. After all if a spread of working hours to 24/7 is good for the NHS. What is wrong with extending that philosophy to general workplaces too? (Westminster parliament. local authority?). As example, I used to like doing "Night Trunk" work, the roads where clear (Almost) and delays where mostly those caused by overnight roadworks put in place so the "Commuters" where not "inconvenienced".

Pete

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Good idea in principle but it depends on both employers and employees agreeing and to practicality. Many people don't mind others working evenings and weekends so long as they don't have to.

Many jobs can't be done at home and even those which can need the proper accommodation, furniture and insurance arrangements.

One of our sons regularly works nights installing data kit in retail stores because it can't be done when customers are present so extending hours is impractical in such cases.

Parliament already has sitting hours other than 9 to 5 every day.

Flexi-time for office jobs in local authorities in this area started back in the 1980s. Depending on the authority the start time was 7:30am or 8am and finish time was up to 6pm or 6:30pm (I think). Facilities like libraries, sports centres, swimming pools and register offices already had longer hours.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. 504329lt

504329lt Funster

The existing rail infrastructure is approximately 150 years old and is at the end of its life. The continual 'patching up' of bridges / earthworks / tunnels to keep trains running cannot carry on forever. The only answer to fulfil requirements for the next 100 to 200 years is to build new lines. The rest of western Europe has realised this.

• Like Like x 2
  12. buttons

buttons Funster

That C option is long overdue, the Achilles heel of the M25 is this section north and south of the dartford crossing. Getting all the channel port traffic away from the M25 before the Dartford crossing will free it up for M25 through traffic. I like the idea(y). I also think that it is just a matter of time before the 3rd runway at Heathrow and the HS2 get a start date.(y)
    350px-Lower_Thames_Crossing_option_map.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  13. PeteH

PeteH Funster

And could be (partly) why we are subsidising the EU to the tune of 50Million per day?

Pete

• Like Like x 1
  14. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

1. Yes, exactly. For the local people a crossing that runs at maximum capacity most of the time is bad enough but which then has no fall back for the "increased" traffic entering/exiting 2 of the biggest shopping centres in the UK,neatly positioned at either side of the crossing ends , which at Christmas, easter, school holidays ,weekends bring gridlock to the whole area.

15. PeteH

PeteH Funster

So Maybe, that is what has to be changed?. Not covering More of the countryside in concrete and Tarmac? at great expense.

Only this Morning we hear that some Special Needs housing is on the back burner because the "government" needs to cut?. Where is this countries priorities? We need protected housing for vulnerable people. (or maybe not? after all then they might just die and save money that way). Do we REALLY need shaving 20 min off a journey for even more cash?. Sorry but that to me is typical "Me first, greedy thinking"

Pete

• Like Like x 1
  16. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

But the Germans pay in 135 million/day ,French over a 100 & the Italians near 80 & they still invest in decent hs trains. Not that I¡m saying that the proposed HS2 is worth it.
    Maybe there are EU grants involved which they'd all apply for. Never understod why the UK, even though it would have to throw in some 50% itself due to the 'rebate', doesn't apply for far more.

• Like Like x 1
  17. buttons

buttons Funster

Just a guess Peter but there are probably more people living in this congested area than the whole of Your own county. These masses need infrastructure to keep the cogs turning. Add to this the millions who pass through the area heading west, south and north then you must agree that the money will be well spent. These two shopping centers are only there because there is a demand for them. No point in building a mega shopping development in the hills and dales... (y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

If you can change the attitude of the "Me first" brigade good luck to you. I think they outnumber the rest of us far too much :)

I read that sheltered housing story on BBC New earlier with a large measure of scepticism. The NHF Report quoted claims "the higher rents and service charges often covered by housing benefit." but that is not true. People who have sufficient income/capital pay the costs of care themselves and others pay the costs out of Attendance Allowance, not Housing Benefit (stated with personal experience of the cases of family members).

Some charities will undoubtedly be affected but that is (as discussed in threads a couple of weeks ago) because they have set up services which rely on inequitable and unsustainable taxpayer funding rather than concentrating on what they can fund themselves after paying high salaries to their chief execs &c.

19. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Sounds like a good idea to me the M25 is always a pain there would be less pollution near London and it could help companies re-locate in the Midlands rather than south east. There also needs to be spending in order to try and move economic activity of all sorts out of the London area to improve quality of life for those trapped in high cost housing and allow them to move to civilisation. I would favour option c but with a motorway link straight to the M11 and Stansted then better motorway links to the A1 and A14

• Like Like x 1
  20. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Response sent.

Thank you for alerting us to this Graham.

• Like Like x 1