Have you used Wedgies ?? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Found these Alko wedgies in the tool kit supplied with Hymer . I guess necessary when parked on steep incline with auto box as no fallback if brakes fail.
Surprising on a modern vehicle :Eeek:
image.jpeg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Probably for when you jack the vehicle up to change a wheel. Can be very useful if you have to jack up the axle which has the handbrake as the vehicle can roll away if you are not careful and fall off the jack.

But similar things are also used with levelling ramps so you don't have to leave the handbrake on.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I had these supplied with an auto Land Rover I bought years ago, the handbook said they were to chock the wheels as you were jacking it up.
They maybe supplied with yours for the same reason because it is an auto.
No reason you can't use them for the reason you specified, but the Park position on your auto box should lock the gearbox up anyway so it shouldn't move if the handbrake fails.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Surprising on a modern vehicle :Eeek:
I use mine as a wedge for the ramps, just in case the truck wants to move off them a bit. And I know this works, because sometimes their jammed under the tyre.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I use mine as a wedge for the ramps, just in case the truck wants to move off them a bit. And I know this works, because sometimes their jammed under the tyre.
I assume they have a similar ridge pattern on the underside to the ramp ridges allowing them to lock in place ?

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I assume they have a similar ridge pattern on the underside to the ramp ridges allowing them to lock in place ?

They also have a steel insert on the bottom edge to aid digging in to a firm surface which you can see on the bottom of the top wedgie in the photo.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I don't use them that high John, I put the truck onto the ramp, then shove the wedge under the tyre, rear end of the wedge still on the ground. Any movement of the wheel 'locks' the wedge quite firmly.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I cannot find the reference now, but I'm pretty sure I have read that some EU countries (probably Germany) require vehicles over 3.5 tonnes to carry wheel chocks for use on inclines.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
image.jpeg
I cannot find the reference now, but I'm pretty sure I have read that some EU countries (probably Germany) require vehicles over 3.5 tonnes to carry wheel chocks for use on inclines.

Just checked my Hymer manual ,

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
I use them when parked up for a few weeks so I can leave the handbrake off. Stops the brakes sticking on. Leave it in gear and a wheel chocked front and back. It is parked on level ground.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

We do the same and if parked up for a while when we want to leave the handbrake off.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
That's where I read it - just checked my manual too. But as our GVW is 3,800 kg, we didn't get chocks with ours.

Mine is 3500kgs gvw which was ordered by Becks , the original plate shows 3800kgs.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
As with (apparently) the vast majority of Al-Co equipped Ducato chassis. Mine sits downhill at all times and must be parked on blocks, even on the (Level) driveway!. I use wedges too so that I can park up with the handbrake off!, saves the big "Crunch" that is the seized on brake lining coming off when it is first moved after a longish lay up!!. I`v always used blocks and or wedges to immobilise vehicles and caravans, rather than the brakes, if they are going to be parked more than a few days (even bricks in the past!).

BTW, I`ve always spelt it Wedges?. a wedgie was something eye-wateringly painful as I recollect!!

Pete

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
"INSTRUCTION 08/V-74 FROM THE SPANISH DIRECTOR GENERAL OF TRAFFIC RELATIVE TO MOTORHOMES
3. In the case of a motor vehicle or motorcycle, when the driver has to abandon the vehicle, the following rules should be observed, where applicable:
a) Stop the engine and disconnect the ignition and, if leaving the vehicle, take the necessary precautions to prevent its unauthorized use.
b) Engage the hand-brake.
c) In a vehicle equipped with gearbox, leave the first gear engaged if parked on an upward slope, and the reverse gear engaged if parked on downward slope, or, in the parking position if automatic
d) When the vehicle is superior to 3,500 kilograms of maximum permissible weight (MMA), a bus or coach or a combination of vehicles, and when stopping or parking is conducted in a place with a marked slope, the driver must also use proper wheel blocks; stones, bricks or other items not specifically intended for this use cannot be used, nor by resting one of the wheels on the kerb of the pavement, nor by inclining the wheels towards the centre of the road on upward slopes nor outwards on downward slopes. The wheel blocks must be removed from the road after use and prior to driving away. "

So if you are over 3,500kg in Spain or towing a trailer the chocks are mandatory. Hymer have provided these chocks (Metal) in my gas locker. My vehicle is not an automatic.

The question then arises if you are in the vehicle with them in place are you CAMPING rather than parking? as provided under the same Royal Decree. "Putting anything on the outside, under or around the parked vehicle.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
"INSTRUCTION 08/V-74 FROM THE SPANISH DIRECTOR GENERAL OF TRAFFIC RELATIVE TO MOTORHOMES

So if you are over 3,500kg in Spain or towing a trailer the chocks are mandatory. Hymer have provided these chocks (Metal) in my gas locker. My vehicle is not an automatic.

The question then arises if you are in the vehicle with them in place are you CAMPING rather than parking? as provided under the same Royal Decree. "Putting anything on the outside, under or around the parked vehicle.

Because these are the rules for parking, then by using chocks you are complying with the rules for parking and therefore not camping.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Because these are the rules for parking, then by using chocks you are complying with the rules for parking and therefore not camping.
The wife uses the chocs all the time....Cadburys, Black Magic, Thorntons...........:cry:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

& when parking the law allows the use them as long as you do not use them to level it.

http://lafurgoteta.com/legislacion-nacional-sobre-autocaravanas/

States it in first picture.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
ABANDON YOUR MOTORHOME! :eek: My God, what do they think we are, shot down Dornior pilots?? o_O
There is no direct translation for "to leave something " in Spanish. abandonar, dejar are the nearest so things do get lost in translation

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back