Have you seen how much money they want for a .............. (1 Viewer)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
With the emphasis on the "usually". 80mph winds in Benidorm?. they abandoned a cycle race!. (BBC Breakfast Tuesday).

The gales hit Wed. We went to the market, all sorts were carried off into the air. We got back and had to pull the awning down because it was pulling the pegs out of the ground.

Then last night I could not sleep because it was so hot, 16 deg on the outside temp gauge.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We've found our PVCs feel less claustrophobic than any of the coachbuilts we've had, our PVCs have had nice big windows on each side

I think we can add PVC - Proper build to the list of trigger topics...........

PVC/Proper
Gassing
Reverse Polarity
A-Frame legality
e-bike legality
grey waste dumping
etc

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
The gales hit Wed. We went to the market, all sorts were carried off into the air. We got back and had to pull the awning down because it was pulling the pegs out of the ground.

Then last night I could not sleep because it was so hot, 16 deg on the outside temp gauge.
Gale hit us on sunday,,,out on bikes every day last week and we don't use them if windy.Best weather of the year on monday,,,dull today. BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Gale hit us on sunday,,,out on bikes every day last week and we don't use them if windy.Best weather of the year on monday,,,dull today. BUSBY.

Damn, once again brain fade. Market is Sun/Wed. Yes it was Sun. Worst of was the usually excellent hot churos were quite cool when we got them.

OP
OP
parigby

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
Just a quick note to say thanks for everyones contribution to the thread and the loads of ideas to ponder on.

Keep the suggestions (polite ones that is ) coming.

philip

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
As others have said, go second-hand that way someone else has taken the hit when its driven off the forecourt. If I was in your position I would be looking at three strong contenders on here as you would then know of their provenance.

This is my favourite http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/2013-globecar-possl-636-fr-french-bed-model.114486/

And then there's these two:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/adria-twin-sp-600-2011.123576/

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/globecar-campscout-whats-it-worth.123745/

All of them would be £20-25k saving on what your talking - that's a lot of diesel! And the best thing is at these prices if it doesn't work out for you when you sell on you won't take such a hit.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
actually @fastpat the Adria was mine originally as well:D

(Globecar/Possl in a different league though - build quality first class)

nearly sold last weekend but chap lost the sale of his (downsizing)

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
I'm not sure whether an eye-watering £60k is a comment on what you get for your money with PVCs, or a comment that it is way over your budget. If the former, then in your situation I would meet all your requirements (other than those which apply to a PVC specifically) with this:
Broken Link Removed

You have plenty to choose from, available now. Just search the site. The context of this advice is that I've had an enjoyable 9 years with a new Murvi Morello PVC, am now enjoying something at the other end of the spectrum at 7.49 tonnes, 8.8m (self-imported from Germany) but with fortunately over 10 years to go until I'm 70. If you think you are likely to be limited to 3500kg, then I wouldn't load it with heavy toys, but if you are not, you could (replating). Of course, had you bought it a year ago it would be 10% cheaper ....

Dave

Deleted User
Our first PVC was from Shire Conversions, small Yorkshire company they have a few set layouts or you can adapt and change to suit

Lin :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

It just seems wrong to me. It's like having a house fronting onto a road and the huge front door opens so all can see into your living room.

I also dislike the back doors for the same reason.

I did see a PVC at a show, a really expensive one, it had a fixed replacement back panel with U shaped lounge, it looked "the business". I don't think they replaced the sliding door but I don't see why the job could not be done properly with new panel with a conventional quiet hab door. Then all you are losing is about half a meter internal width. Hasn't someone done one with a slide ?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Yes a few versions available in Germany...seen a few at dusseldorf show

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It just seems wrong to me. It's like having a house fronting onto a road and the huge front door opens so all can see into your living room.

I also dislike the back doors for the same reason.

I did see a PVC at a show, a really expensive one, it had a fixed replacement back panel with U shaped lounge, it looked "the business". I don't think they replaced the sliding door but I don't see why the job could not be done properly with new panel with a conventional quiet hab door. Then all you are losing is about half a meter internal width. Hasn't someone done one with a slide ?
Probably IH - they do replace the sliding door too on models in the N-class range:

Broken Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Probably IH - they do replace the sliding door too on models in the N-class range:

Only one way to describe that "Proper Job".

And here is the slide............

After seeing this any other PVC is more like the old Dormobile and mattress love box.

Broken Link Removed

I'd not say no to one of those.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

After seeing this any other PVC is more like the old Dormobile and mattress love box.

Broken Link Removed

I can't see the point though Brian, surely if you want a 'standard' habitation door and no rear doors you'd be better off buying a narrow coachbuilt ... probably cheaper too!

OP
OP
parigby

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years

Broken Link Removed

If my memory serves me right, this one will cost closer to £80,000.00 than £60,000.00.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If my memory serves me right, this one will cost closer to £80,000.00 than £60,000.00.

I knew it would not be cheap. You can buy a hell of a lot of MH for that kind of money but for someone wanting compact and not short of a few bob it's a beauty. Possible weight problem too.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I can't see the point though Brian, surely if you want a 'standard' habitation door and no rear doors you'd be better off buying a narrow coachbuilt ... probably cheaper too!

I guess so but are there strength and ingress issues that could tip the balance.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Broken Link Removed

Look like a tinkers caravan to me....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
strange as it may seem i find the small doors on motorhomes a negative feature we often sit and eat or relax with our sliding door open and we get to talk to people unlike those holed up in their big white hermits cave
Exactamundo!!!! If it's too chilly/breezy to sit out we can still enjoy the fresh air rather than being 'cooped-up' in a coachbuilt! (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
And makes them a real pain to neighbours and worse makes it look like a delivery van with added bed.
... rather than a converted removals wagon I suppose like some coachbuilts! :rolleyes:

MannClan

Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
Hi we bought an IH last year but after a month in France/Germany decided that it wasn't for us - however when we came to use it as a part ex we discovered that the IH franchises had been severely reduced and that stock holders were selling them off - which meant that we were not getting a good deal on part ex. Build quality was very good but just did not provide us with what we really wanted. Just thought you might like to know.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
We've found our PVCs feel less claustrophobic than any of the coachbuilts we've had, our PVCs have had nice big windows on each side, rather than larger pieces of bodywork as you get on a coachbuilt as some only have windows on one side of the lounge area - eg none in habitation door or panel next to it.

In bad weather our PVC feels lovely and snug (but not small) rather than being stuck in a large coachbuilt box, our PVC is also easier to keep warm too (you don't HAVE to open the sliding door fully to get in/out). In nice weather though it cannot be beaten ... the side door fully open to see the view and even if its too chilly to sit outside it's usually still nice to sit inside with the door open looking out. This is a major reason why I prefer PVCs over coachbuilts - I feel hemmed-in in a coachbuilt as no matter what you do you can only open the windows or habitation door, the bodywork is still there, with a PVC you get a lovely large opening ... I love it.

When it's really hot during the day though we find the PVC excellent - we have both the side and rear doors open so we get the air drifting through and as we have a fixed rear bed being able to slob on that with the rear doors open and look out at the view etc is fantastic. One thing we did worry about and which prevented us from changing to a PVC earlier was whether the PVC would heat up in summer more than a coachbuilt and cause problems for the dogs but we haven't found any difference at all - we just wish we'd got one earlier!

They do cost a lot of money new but if you buy wisely and haggle well you can get them nearly-new/ex-demo for a very good price. Also some of the non-standard stuff you want, eg solar panel, gas bottles, this extra costs applies to both coachbuilt and PVCs and as with most things, getting these elsewhere rather than from the dealer can save a LOT of dosh.
Ooooo ... I NEED a trip away in our PVC ... I wonder what the weather's like at the weekend ... ????

Ours has a few windows.......

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Difficult to do this with a coachbuilt too! This was our previous Autocruise PVC absolutely stuffed full of duvets to be donated to a dogs' charity for winter bedding.

duvets 1.jpg
duvets 2.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back