Have you seen anything as bad (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That is absolute cr@p! No other way to describe it! Go back and lay merry hell - the sealant up the side of the wall panel looks cr@p too ... make sure you get it done to YOUR satisfaction and then don't ever, ever use them again.

I'd also take some more photos of it now and afterwards and then send them in to the relevant accreditation body to show the cr@p job they try to get away with as you won't be the only one they try it on with - this shoddy work brings the reputation of the accreditation company into question because if that's the standard THEY accept from their members then it doesn't bode well for anyone else who they accredit!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Looks like the Apprentice mistook the silicone!and made a Boob job of it:eek:
Oh ... very droll ... they don't use silicone now as it's too dangerous if it leaks ... perhaps that's where they got the stuff from to spread around like butter on the toilet!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just remembered a job we had done to our virtually new Rapido many years ago where the outer skin on one of the locker doors had started to crack, it was taken in and they tried to repair and repaint it rather than replace which is what they should have done anyway as it had a special 'American gel-coat' apparently ... when we went to collect it wasn't perfect and the wrong shade of white ... when we complained the lad who'd done it came out and even he said it wasn't acceptable! In the end they nicked a door of a new one and put it on ours ... always wondered what happened to the 'donor' van!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Just remembered a job we had done to our virtually new Rapido many years ago where the outer skin on one of the locker doors had started to crack, it was taken in and they tried to repair and repaint it rather than replace which is what they should have done anyway as it had a special 'American gel-coat' apparently ... when we went to collect it wasn't perfect and the wrong shade of white ... when we complained the lad who'd done it came out and even he said it wasn't acceptable! In the end they nicked a door of a new one and put it on ours ... always wondered what happened to the 'donor' van!

This seems to be common practise ..... I had bits and pieces from several donor vans ... I too wondered what happened when THOSE vans needed new bits ... at some point they are going to run out of donors!!!!!!!

I think that these people should look at jobs they do and say would I accept that in my own HOUSE ...... our motorhomes are as precious to us as our homes and we want a professional finish.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Tradesmen (and women :D) who can mastic always amaze me. They run a small bead, lick finger, run it along the work, perfect; JD.

This job amazed me from a whole new angle! As has been said; if you can't mastic - don't, or at least use some masking tape, peel it off (before the glup goes off!) leaving a nice line. Looks like this was done in the cold - hence it looking more like putty!

Apart from all of the great advice in other posts, left unaltered, the job will have serious reverberations later if you wanted to sell the van. The bathroom is one of the first places folk look for damp. This would look like the area was riddled with it!

I was so sorry to read the OP. A NEW van too! Must be sooooo disappointing to say the least!

It will take half a day to get all that gunk out, let alone do a decent job.

Hope you have a satisfactory outcome. Let us know please.

Regards
James

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
as a complete Muppet when it comes to DIY even my go at it was better than that. can I get a job there.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I would be the first to agree that it is an extremely poor job, but the point that most have missed is if the joint was originally a rubber seal all that mastic/ silicone has nothing to adhere to (gloss finishes are bad for adhesion) so will probably start peeling off in a couple of months

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Looks like it was done by the apprentice.

No, it looks like something done by me. :oops:

However as mentioned above, if there should be a rubber seal it looks as though they are cutting corners.

Keith Hart

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
IMHO,,,, i would not name and shame until they have had the opportunity to rectify the crap job and apologies for it. Shit happens in business and the boss man may not condone such poor workmanship and just needs to be shown this to get it sorted and keep his reputation. A measure of a business is often how they react when mistakes / problems arise.

especially if this van is under warranty with them you need a relationship with them, but that needs to be backed up by good service and repair.

however, if they dont fix it to your satisfaction then :boxing::boxing:

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
who was the dealer ?
IMHO,,,, i would not name and shame until they have had the opportunity to rectify the crap job and apologies for it. Shit happens in business and the boss man may not condone such poor workmanship and just needs to be shown this to get it sorted and keep his reputation. A measure of a business is often how they react when mistakes / problems arise.

especially if this van is under warranty with them you need a relationship with them, but that needs to be backed up by good service and repair.

however, if they dont fix it to your satisfaction then :boxing::boxing:
Totally disagree on this occasion, if there is a plausible excuse then maybe, just maybe, give them the benefit as I have done in the past.
But this example is blatent bodge of epic proportion, and on a NEW van,so name and shame.
As I have voiced before, too many homers get the bums rush from Arther Daley dealers and must be shown right from wrong! :mad:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
common who is it or will or will it to embarrassing did you get a discount on the work maybe they offered 20% if you allowed the apprentice chimp to do it.
wouldn't want the chimp to lose his job only job he's had after PG payed him off :rofl::rofl:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Totally disagree on this occasion, if there is a plausible excuse then maybe, just maybe, give them the benefit as I have done in the past.
But this example is blatent bodge of epic proportion, and on a NEW van,so name and shame.
As I have voiced before, too many homers get the bums rush from Arther Daley dealers and must be shown right from wrong! :mad:

i agree with your sentiments. but... as its a New van its warranty is covered by this dealer ( i assume ). you will not get warranty work done anywhere else. so you need a relationship, One where you have the upper hand i agree but workable.
That does not mean that you cower to the dealer. it means you "KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY"! until you absolutely have no other course of action.

Keep the moral high ground it makes yor case all the stronger. We all know that when you fight someone ( metaphorically speaking :rolleyes: ) you need to give them a recovery route. if no recovery option is available to them then usually they fight back harder.

Just my opinion but its the OP's choice not mine nor anyone else's. i'll say no more on the topic.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Rubbish I would asked them to redo it correctly or ask for money back to get it repaired correctly (go to another repairer and see what they would charge)

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
i agree with your sentiments. but... as its a New van its warranty is covered by this dealer ( i assume ). you will not get warranty work done anywhere else. so you need a relationship, One where you have the upper hand i agree but workable.
That does not mean that you cower to the dealer. it means you "KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY"! until you absolutely have no other course of action.

Keep the moral high ground it makes yor case all the stronger. We all know that when you fight someone ( metaphorically speaking :rolleyes: ) you need to give them a recovery route. if no recovery option is available to them then usually they fight back harder.

Just my opinion but its the OP's choice not mine nor anyone else's. i'll say no more on the topic.

But the problem as usual will be the op gets sorted hopefully but how many unsuspecting owners allow this complete and utter failure of a fitter work on their homes thereafter.
Exposure is harsh but they are forced to up their game and let that be a warning to other crap dealers!

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
NAME AND SHAME THEM......BUSBY.
Your probably right I should say who did the job but I taken the route suggested by Phill D, however in all fairness the dealer has been helpful and responsive regarding previous problems plus there close to me for warranty/hab service (which is required by the manufacture for guarantee of water ingress) didn't really want to cause trouble because the minute I involve the manufacture in the process I won't be taking it back to the dealer for obvious reasons
Unfortunately I feel there is no option now due to the fact that I have lost confidence in the dealer ability to put the suitation right, what's more worrying is that a new tray has been fitted which IMO is totally inadequate and the same will happen, a split shower tray as there is insufficient support underneath at very least expanding foam could have been used to fill the voids on the reverse side of the shower tray instead of 2x1 slate batten with sharp edges positioned at random points as a support for a very filmsie shower tray (possible more of a manufacturing issue than dealer) but the dealer did have the opportunity to rectify this problem when they put the new tray in and didn't
In response to the valid point concerning refusal of the vechicle when I picked it up, I did notice the excessive sealant but as we were going away after picking it up with wife and ankle biters ready for the trip I choose to go away and deal with it on my return
I decided then that I wouldn't allow the said dealer to deal with the problem due to the workmanship I could see, never mind the workmanship I couldn't see which is more worrying
Just arrived at Royal Vale CC Kutsford tonight and found the tap in the kitchen not working, but the bathroom one is ok, I suppose these things happen
What's more annoying is I have contacted the manufactures represent ive in this country on tues and sent pictures and voiced my concern regarding the shower tray installation and rung him yesterday leaving a message asking for his views
I have had no reply/contact from the manufacture and having spent a fortune on there vechicle am a little disappointed considering the number of funsters who have also indicated they would also be unhappy with the workmanship
Had my external windows replaced already (after 8 months) by the manufacture due to design faults and now I have been informed the replacements need replacing as these are now failing (all under warranty) all in less than 14months
Problems with electric front drop down bed and a couple of water leaks repaired by dealer, seem to be ok at the moment
I have to say I love the van and accept there will be problems, but as someone already said, a lot depends how both dealer/manufacture responed to such problems being the most important thing todate the dealer been very good (workmanship obviously not up to scratch) and the manufacture not so good
As it happens am pretty easy going, however the longer it goes before the manufacture does have the curtesy to at least acknowledge my concern the more am getting wound up
Thks for all the helpful replies from fellow funsters

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Just be careful with the tap that's not working, they haven't left a pipe off that's gonna leak into your van every time you use a different tap ? Best of luck getting everything sorted mate.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
I'm not quite sure but have you actually spoke to the owners of the business yet? It may be that the person at the top does not know about this as it has been kept from them by their employees. As has been said, don't fire all your ammunition at first. Before you go in with all guns blazing make sure that the big boss knows about this and give them a chance to put things right.

Trading Standards and 'the law' is a last resort and it will be much easier, for you as well as for the company, if this can be sorted out before you go 'legal'.

Keith Hart

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Sure wont leak, what a mess as other posts take it back