Have you had a private parking invoice?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by John & Joan, Dec 19, 2014.

1. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

This may be of interest even if you have already paid it.

Why I'm suing all UK parking companies. Help by sharing.

Quote: I'm not some mysterious parking enthusiast with a vendetta against the parking companies. I have two First-class Law degrees from Cambridge (at Bachelor's and Master's level): I know an injustice when I see one. I'm taking all the parking firms to court to get everyone refunded for good reasons.

• Like Like x 5
  2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Had 2. Asda and Aldi...
    Both the fault of women in the family who use my car, go shopping and then pass me the mess to deal with. !!

Used the web for research and especially pepipoo.com ..
    Ignored both and never paid a penny...

• Like Like x 2
  3. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Whilst I agree it is an injustice I can't see anything ever being done about it and I imagine with the money these guys are making their lawyers will be bigger than his lawyers...

4. trophychap

trophychap Funster

I didn't go on his web site to look and whilst I am in agreement in principal with his sentiments about these people praying on the unwary/ill-informed.

I have to question wether he will be asking for donations in support of his proposed law suit has he seen a way of raising a lot of cash for himself?

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Ahh.. Now you are thinking like I do !
    I guess I have just been around the interweb too long and see a scam everywhere..

• Like Like x 1
  6. PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire Funster

Although the guy is trying to get the law changed it will take time. If any MH owners get a so called parking ticket( in fact they are just invoices) whilst say in a supermarket car park do not pay you will never need to pay if you follow the guidence on pepipoo.com. I have had a few as I have a tag axle and the parking companies of various supermarket that use so called enforcment think they can charge when it is a free car park. They are very easy to beat with a template appeal. If anybody needs any help PM me

7. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Would have thought that if this bloke is a well versed in law and as clever as he says he is, he would know his chances of claiming damages from every parking company, on every occasion on behalf of every person given a parking invoice is probably good as mine to become the first person driving a motorhome to find a parking spot on the moon

• Like Like x 1
  8. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

I just advise people to read up on pepipoo. No matter what you do.. If they wish.. They can take you to court and you can lose (the amount you lose is obviously what we all hope stated cases sort out) and people should be aware of this.

Furthermore... This has reminded me. Inconsiderate drivers who park selfishly and with no regard for others or for the owners of land need to be dealt with in some way.
    Getting rid of clamping was good. But that doesn't mean it's a free for all.

9. Ninovan

Ninovan Funster

Just been looking at Pepipoo. Seems to be all about speeding or have I missed something? Can't find owt about parking fines etc.

10. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

11. Ninovan

Ninovan Funster

12. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

There has been a bit in the press recently about private parking charges. Apparently they cannot charge a penalty for overstaying, only a charge which reflects their loss. So if they charge say £3.00 for an hour of parking and you stay for two, they can only charge you for the extra hour, which would be £3.00. What they can't do is try and charge you £80 or £90 or whatever. This counts as a penalty and is not permissable in contract law unless you have explicitly agreed.

13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

yes.. 20%

• Like Like x 1
  14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

It depends whether or not they can show that the difference is an administration charge of a reasonable amount - the extra that it costs them to pursue the payment over the supposed direct loss. The amounts that they end up with are often not far different from those which apply to fines in a local authority car park and it can be argued that if it is justifiable for LAs to charge that much why not for a private company?

Whether the opinions of a brand new law graduate with no practical experience (and who apparently, prior to going to university, "spent 5 years as a computer game developer, creating online games that were played by millions." even though he is still only 22) remains to be seen but a definitive court ruling is probably required to clarify the matter.

As sure as eggs are eggs, though, if the court does rule against the current charging model for private parking it is bound to be replaced by another because companies are not going to stand for their car parks being overrun by commuters and others blocking their customers. They will come up with schemes which force payment, such as pay on exit barriers - which could well end up costing everyone more, not just those who breach current parking contracts.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jazzbow

Jazzbow Read Only Funster

I'm more interested in his effort to get the DVLA to stop providing our details.

16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

That isn't going to happen because there is no reason for it to. Anyone who can show a genuine need for the information can obtain it and that has been the case for years

17. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Email from challengethefine.com
    Parking firms this year will give out more fines than santa does gifts

Ok that isn't true.
    Thank you for opening the email though – only around half of you will do that!
    And within that half, only about 10% of you will share this onto someone else.
    That means around 5% of the mailing list are doing all of the work!
    To the 40% who read this and do nothing: if you want to see the DVLA and parking firms destroyed in court (as well as see people/ yourself compensated), you'll need to put in *slightly* more effort! Just share this and get others to join in. I've made it really easy :)

200 people signed up yesterday.
    Please forward/ share and let's get 500 to join today :)

Michael Green, Founder
    www.challengethefine.com

18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Now that, if anything else, puts me off. Why is that people take a destructive attitude rather than constructive?

If parking in this country isn't allowed to be controlled it will disappear, to the detriment of all of us. If anyone doesn't want to be charged what they think is an excessive amount to park it is totally in their hands - go and park elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

Surely if you enter into a privately owned supermarket car park, you do so under their T&Cs ?
    If, for example, there's a limit of 2 hours parking and you overstay:
    1. Why shouldn't you be expected to pay ?
    2. Who the hell wants to waste 2+ hours in a supermarket ?

If truth be known, Michael Green (owner of the website), got caught and "fined". Rather than accepting he was in the wrong, he's now going to waste a large chunk of his life (and money) on a pointless quest.
    Too many people today think / believe they have a God given right to life for free, or at the expense of others.

• Like Like x 1
  20. chaser

chaser Funster

That's why I say have some sort of overstay charge that you pay there and then and cut out all these parasite firms, courts and all the rest, must be a better way!