Have you been turned away ! Not nice (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just phoned, asked why I'm discriminated against as a widow. Poor flustered lady tried to say no, not because I'm a widow, because I'm on my own and she doesn't know why they have this policy. It's the owners choice.
If my daughters family book their caravan in, and I meet up with them there, that's fine, according to her.
If I book alone--- I'm not wanted.
This cannot be a safety issue if they allow single people to join their leisure complex.
It's bizarre. And it's discrimination.
I suggest we all drop Mr Paul Searle an email or letter.
The difference being that those visiting the site don't have their own onsite accommodation to take any child etc to, to abuse them out of sight ...

Its not discrimination ... there are no 'solo' people discrimination laws that I'm aware of.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Searles Leisure Resort
South Beach
Hunstanton
Norfolk
PE36 5BB
Tel:(01485) 534211
Fax:(01485) 533815

Reservations are open 7 days a week.

January 1 - November 30: Monday to Saturday 8am - 8pm, Sunday 9am - 6pm.

December 1 - 31: Monday to Saturday 8am - 7pm, Sunday 10am - 4pm.

Email: bookings@searles.co.uk

I'm sure they'd welcome phone, mail, email and fax comments and enquiries from us all.

And even if there is no applicable law it's still discriminatory. We all knew there was sex discrimination and racial discrimination long before the appropriate laws were put in place!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm not loading your gun for you maz, go find your own ammunition.:censored:

You are using the many other sites restrict singles, as ammo for your argument that the policy is OK so it would be nice to have some names.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
Can you put email contact details on here please I would love to drop him a line and enlighten him about the various paedophiles who I have known / heard of in my life! One lived a few doors down near me as a child, he had three little girls! I think my dad smacked him one, he moved! Another was a Grandad who abused his granddaughter, she has led a somewhat tortured life! We all know lovely single people who have given us no reason to believe that they are paedophiles this is horrendous descrimination.

Again Thankyou....what about a phone call to them, asking who is the man to contact. I believe it's Paul Searles !

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
You are using the many other sites restrict singles, as ammo for your argument that the policy is OK so it would be nice to have some names.

Very true Jim.....it's a bit like saying a Friend of a Friend said.....or Chinese whispers. I believe if someone has something to say...then have the decency to back up your claim.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Well at least they'll have Buttons to visit then, as long as he leaves his Mac at home and can find someone to go with him ;).
No Buttons would lie and say that someone else was with him. Top post of page 2 refers.

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Would you expect everyone to submit their CRB / DBS report before being considered for a pitch?

That is exactly the point, you (the site owner) do not know who you are letting onto your "child friendly" site, Do you?

Would you take the risk if you were the site owner?

I certainly would not (y)

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
That is exactly the point, you (the site owner) do not know who you are letting onto your "child friendly" site, Do you?

But Jimmy Saville would have been allowed on....with his PA ! And also if the site owner lets a couple on...doesn't the same thing apply. Ian Huntley would have been allowed on with Maxine Carr....Peter and Sonia Sutcliffe ! Harold Shipman and Wife

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Our own Equality Act 2010 is badly worded in this area but I suggest contacting the Equality Advisory Support Service (EASS) to gain their view especially as it would seem that the UK signed up to the UN Convention on the Elimination of all forms of Discrimination against Women in 1979. That convention includes the clause:
... which has the effect or purpose of nullifying the recognition, enjoyment or exercise by women, irrespective of their marital status, .....
Sadly we 'mere men' are not so well protected! :-(

Suggest also letters to your MP's.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Well at least they'll have Buttons to visit then, as long as he leaves his Mac at home and can find someone to go with him ;).
As it happens I'm off op north next week we could make a small diversion on route..:)

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
Just phoned, asked why I'm discriminated against as a widow. Poor flustered lady tried to say no, not because I'm a widow, because I'm on my own and she doesn't know why they have this policy. It's the owners choice.
If my daughters family book their caravan in, and I meet up with them there, that's fine, according to her.
If I book alone--- I'm not wanted.
This cannot be a safety issue if they allow single people to join their leisure complex.
It's bizarre. And it's discrimination.
I suggest we all drop Mr Paul Searle an email or letter.

I wanted to add....I was with Friends who are just like my Family, but the rule applied.

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
But Jimmy Saville would have been allowed on....with his PA ! And also if the site owner lets a couple on...doesn't the same thing apply. Ian Huntley would have been allowed on with Maxine Carr....Peter and Sonia Sutcliffe ! Harold Shipman and Wife

We are going round in circles here, can you not see it from the "child protection argument" or "duty of care" or "potential risk".

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs

Going by your argument, every site owner, where there are children, should demand to see a CRB / police disclosure document from every adult staying on a site.
And adult only sites could still have vulnerable adults so same rules would have to apply.
I'm waiting for a reply from Mr Searle to hear the reason for his rule.

And if you think there is a significantly reduced risk that married men / men in a relationship are abusers, then you're wrong. I taught Child Protection in a college for 5 years. My research showed that proven abusers- both male and female- were more likely to be in a relationship than not.
The old image of a lone man in a grubby raincoat is a myth. Believe me, I read hundreds and hundreds of police documents, enquiry reports, witness testimonies, and academic papers. Had to request a break from teaching the subject as it affected me so much.
There is so much variation in the way these people operate it is impossible to just say ' all single people a risk' . It's best to rely on good old gut instinct.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I lost my husband in 2012 and know how daunting it is to pick yourself up and carry on with life. I was lucky that my first trip away solo was to a fairly local site where two other forum members were staying the site were very accommodating making sure I was pitched close to the others ...I would have been devastated if I had been refused entry to the site because I was solo.
Please don't let this one incident put you off motorhoming.
I would definitely insist on a refund to your card .

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Going by your argument, every site owner, where there are children, should demand to see a CRB / police disclosure document from every adult staying on a site.
And adult only sites could still have vulnerable adults so same rules would have to apply.
I'm waiting for a reply from Mr Searle to hear the reason for his rule.

TBH Yes.

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
We are going round in circles here, can you not see it from the "child protection argument" or "duty of care" or "potential risk".

As far as I am aware....and I say aware because I saw reports in the newspapers I have met two peodophiles in my entire life, I didn't know at the time of course....I could give names but I won't....and both were married with children of their own.

One had a high profiles on the motorhome forums and was thought to be a pillar of society.

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Family members abusing family members is a totally different, would you be happy letting your kids out of your sight, on a site with a few dodgy looking single males?

I would feel the same if they were dodgy looking married males.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Due to being a shift worker I get a lot of days off during the week while Lorraine is at work and quite often head away in the van myself for some hill walking or just to get away, never once did I think I'd be classed as a risk or looked on as a paedophile. I maybe look dodgy but I look the same when I'm with lorraine as I do without her.
I also take disadvantaged kids away for days out and befriend kids who are going through tough times I'm now going to have to reconsider these activities now I know how I'm looked upon.

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
I lost my husband in 2012 and know how daunting it is to pick yourself up and carry on with life. I was lucky that my first trip away solo was to a fairly local site where two other forum members were staying the site were very accommodating making sure I was pitched close to the others ...I would have been devastated if I had been refused entry to the site because I was solo.
Please don't let this one incident put you off motorhoming.
I would definitely insist on a refund to your card .

Thankyou x

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
Due to being a shift worker I get a lot of days off during the week while Lorraine is at work and quite often head away in the van myself for some hill walking or just to get away, never once did I think I'd be classed as a risk or looked on as a paedophile. I maybe look dodgy but I look the same when I'm with lorraine as I do without her.
I also take disadvantaged kids away for days out and befriend kids who are going through tough times I'm now going to have to reconsider these activities now I know how I'm looked upon.

I can understand how this makes you feel....to add I personally would be shocked and indeed have been to think just because I am alone I am a threat to society.

Hopefully you will indeed carry on with your good work. Nette

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Here is one for starters Searles at Hunstanton :cautious:

Thanks; we'll wait for your list of others. Clearly if there were plenty you and Google would have found them. Maybe all those you stayed at went out of business.

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Just for info I had to have a CRB (at the request of the church) check to be Godfather to my mates Daughter.

Duty of care from the side of the church.

(y)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
You must have been "checked" and cleared then (y)
Yes I have although in my opinion these checks aren't worth the paper they're written on as they only show people who have been caught, in my experience most paedophiles are very clever and don't get caught until years later when their abussed find the courage. Also you won't get many convicted applying for these positions, just my opinion though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back