Have you been turned away ! Not nice (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
TBH I have some sympathy with the site, I would think that the main reason for this rule is to protect children from possible sexual preditors, So because of the PC brigade and not being able to check criminal records etc, they have to put a blanket ban in place, as they do have a duty of care.

Just my take on it (y)

Fact is the vast majority of sexual predators are family members of the abused so it can't be that or they'd ban families as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I don't understand why anyone, family or single, would want to go there anyway. I can't stand the place, I'd sell the motorhome rather than stay there. Horrible place.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
:rofl::rofl::rofl: Cannot believe you just said that Buttons :rofl: and people on their own don't usually have parties until the early hours by themselves!!
Arriving alone doesn't mean you stay alone Atw, it could end up like a boozy fun rally in no time at all..... would you want to be parked next to something like that..

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
...Like Fred and Rose West:(............. happily married couple.......:(

Ian Huntley, Peter Sutcliffe, Harold Shipman...the list goes on. Plus anyone yes anyone can just walk on to the site. Singles are welcome in their leisure centre as members ! As someone else said look at how many 'Families' have abusers in them.....for me I totally agree with you...just because someone is single it doesn't make them a sex offender.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Very sorry to hear of this - it was obviously distressing to you.

Obviously sites can choose whether they accept singles, children, dogs, etc, etc. I think that any exclusions should be stated clearly in the site's website and/or advertising - not hidden in the T's and C's.

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
I don't understand why anyone, family or single, would want to go there anyway. I can't stand the place, I'd sell the motorhome rather than stay there. Horrible place.

At the time...it had what we were looking for, pool close to town etc not our usual choice.....but admit I liked the location etc.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Arriving alone doesn't mean you stay alone Atw, it could end up like a boozy fun rally in no time at all..... would you want to be parked next to something like that..
Actually, now you mention it, that is usually what happens when we roll up at a Fun rally, in fact just about every time.

Seriously Buttons you are creating scenarios for the sake of argument here!

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007

Or a noisy family ? No it doesn't wash with me....you could end up next to anyone boozy at any time, and believe me we have in the past and they weren't usually singles !

Deleted User
Now you can see where the phrase "rule Britannia" comes from.

Of course some will defend the rule, because it's obvious that we must protect society from 57 year old widows.

The site can obviously set whatever policies it likes, but common sense ended when exactly?

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Fact is the vast majority of sexual predators are family members of the abused so it can't be that or they'd ban families as well.

Family members abusing family members is a totally different, would you be happy letting your kids out of your sight, on a site with a few dodgy looking single males?

I certainly would not (y)

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
You have achieved success with your social media campaign, now I would advise you move on to a print media campaign. Start with the local paper and then try the daily mail and Sun. On a quiet news day (if there is such a thing in today's climate) they may well take up the story of a widow being discrimated against.
I guess you will never want to visit the place again, but you can cause them more grief than they ever dreamed of and I am sure that will make you feel better.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This rule is in place for a reason being people on their own can be a nuisance to other users. I'm sure you would be the first to complain if your next door motorhome was having parties until the early hours. Not in this case I'm sure but rules are rules for a reason.

How do you have parties on your own? I am a single/solo traveller and I often get asked if I am coming back because I am so little trouble. I empty bins, pick up rubbish. Make no noise and never pester the owner except once a week to pay them. Most solo travellers I know enjoy their own company.

I think you will find it is the couples who roll back to their van drunk at Rallies and are the noisy ones. I know of at least 4 other solo travellers well that come to the rallies and like me they tend to retire earlier and are quieter than the couples. Solo's also generate less rubbish, don't have barnies with their partner and tend not to have large awning parties outside their van...

If they were to ban single sex groups I could kind of understand it as stag and hen parties are a nightmare. But banning me because I am a threat? Why am I a threat, in what way do I threaten anyone? And banning a widow? Disgusting.

I have no problems with businesses setting rules of who they will serve and who they won't. But hiding rules like this in the T & C's is disgraceful. If a rule is not something that is the norm it should be prominent on their literature. Hiding it in the T&C's then refusing access is not on.

If a site has a rule I don't like but is highlighted to me before I pay. I have no problems I just find somewhere else. But if I got through their booking process and turned up only to be turned away due to small print I would be furious.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

I went there in October one year and share your view of the place.

I was relatively new to driving the motorhome and whilst parking made a horrendous mess of the grass next to the pitch.

We were all out with our wellies on trying to stamp down the deep grooves caused by spinning wheels.

I am glad now(y)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Actually, now you mention it, that is usually what happens when we roll up at a Fun rally, in fact just about every time.

Seriously Buttons you are creating scenarios for the sake of argument here!
In a way Atw but wanting others to boycott a site on you own one off experience deserves to be tested from both side. Personally I don't think I would boycott this site for the reasons given.

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
In a way Atw but wanting others to boycott a site on you own one off experience deserves to be tested from both side. Personally I don't think I would boycott this site for the reasons given.

You won't have a choice if you are alone...which I assume you aren't ! So no problem Jack ! Lol

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
How do you have parties on your own? I am a single/solo traveller and I often get asked if I am coming back because I am so little trouble. I empty bins, pick up rubbish. Make no noise and never pester the owner except once a week to pay them. Most solo travellers I know enjoy their own company.
I suspect Gromett that your night place of choice is never a site like the one in question. On sites like this one with many forms of accommodation singles can be a real problem. Personal choice by the receptionist is not an option.

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
i find the different points of views amaze me,I can only assume the attitude is,well it's not me that it happened too.:Eeek:

I suppose in some ways it's to be expected,solo women and men are in a minority,therefore don,t really have to be considered in the grand scheme of things.

Any park that is private can make there own rules. I have no problem with this,same as a private club,but they don,t allow the general public into the exclusive clubs,I think this should apply to private parks, then they have the right to refuse anybody in general,not choose cirtain minority groups of people.

SEARLES is open to the public,in all forms,a single can join there amenities section,go swimming ect.
They have a ban on solo people staying in their own M/H,because they might be deemed a threat.
Anyone think the world has gone mad??:cheers::crying::crying:

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
I suspect Gromett that your night place of choice is never a site like the one in question. On sites like this one with many forms of accommodation singles can be a real problem. Personal choice by the receptionist is not an option.
Singles in groups ... Booked on together. But two booked on MH same sex are ok... So not sure you are getting the point

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You won't have a choice if you are alone...which I assume you aren't ! So no problem Jack ! Lol
Not now Brairose but I have been in the past and came up against similar rules but never complained just found somewhere else to stay that appreciated my single status.(y)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I am sure that any Media involvement will give this place the recognition that it looks after families and has their childrenā€™s interests at heart. Whilst it certainly should have been highlighted better on their website or made clear on the booking phone call, it is a dire shame that we live in a society where family orientated companies must think the way they do.
Whilst I am sure that a young 57 year old Widow does not pose any threat to any one, could the same be said for all solo travellers - and yes I accept Couples aren't excempt. Could you turn away a 57 yr old Man and then queuing behind is a 57 yr old Lady? Unfortunate as it is, they must stick their rules. Would this have been an issue and a forum post if they had been clear on booking?
I recently stayed at an Adults only site and I was present when a Man and his young Son were turned away. You cannot make exceptions. This site doesnā€™t even allow children to visit as it may upset "paying" Adults who have chosen to child free.

Why they have Solo's in Leisure centre is beyond comprehension as well.

Last edited:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Not now Brairose but I have been in the past and came up against similar rules but never complained just found somewhere else to stay that appreciated my single status.(y)
Still waiting for the names of these other sites that you've repeatedly mentioned, Buttons. Ok, so I'm no longer a solo motorhomer but I would boycott them anyway on principle! :boxing:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We were on York rowntree site and an elderly single lady arrived next to us in a new PVC. We got chatting and she said she was meeting other singles as she had trouble filling her water tank my husband helped with trips the water tap with ha watering tank! We made a new friend but when I saw water running out of her van went to tell her she said she always let her grey waste out as it does no harm!! I'm sure she wasn't banned for this !!( made me shudder!!)

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
I am sure that any Media involvement will give this place the recognition that it looks after families and has their childrenā€™s interests at heart. Whilst it certainly should have been highlighted better on their website or made clear on the booking phone call, it is a dire shame that we live in a society where family orientated companies must think the way they do.
Whilst I am sure that a young 57 year old Widow does not pose any threat to any one, could the same be said for all solo travellers - and yes I accept Couples aren't excempt. Could you turn away a 57 yr old Man and then queuing behind is a 57 yr old Lady? Unfortunate as it is, they must stick their rules. Would this have been an issue and a forum post if they had been clear on booking?
I recently stayed at an Adults only site and I was present when a Man and his young Son were turned away. You cannot make exceptions. This site doesnā€™t even allow children to visit as it may upset "paying" Adults who have chosen to child free.

Ref the post and emails...maybe not. Who knows...what I do know is the world has gone crazy as Eve has already said. I do take on board your comments ref 'Adult only' sites....maybe Searles should advertise as 'Some Adults allowed' if accompanied by another Adult !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back